Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mac OS newbie, Shortcut Keys and Text Editors

• 20-04-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hey there... Bought myself a lovely new MacBook Pro there last week so im in the process of learning all the nice bits and pieces that Mac OS has to offer... So far I have to say I like! A lot!

I've found the Apple guide for the normal shortcut keys you can use however I was wondering if anyone here would know about
    1. If I minimise an application window using APPLE + M what shortcut key will restore the window to its original size? (Without using mouse)
    2. if I want to access a menu item that does not have a shortcut key assigned to it I have to click on the file, edit etc menut and then select the option. Is there any equivalent of windows' Alt+F, Alt+E etc to access the file, edit menu?

Now 1 other thing is text editors... Is there any good free gui text editor for MacOS? Something along the lines of GEdit in Linux or TextPad in Windows? I really aint a fan of Emacs, and vi is overkill.. I've found TextMate and that seems great but surely there has to be a freeware equivalent?

Thanks a million for any help.... Hopefully this info will make my Mac experience all the better! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what about textedit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

fractal wrote:
    1. If I minimise an application window using APPLE + M what shortcut key will restore the window to its original size? (Without using mouse)
    Nothing - if you have 3 window minimised, and you hit a "unminimise" button, which window should it work for?
    fractal wrote:
    2. if I want to access a menu item that does not have a shortcut key assigned to it I have to click on the file, edit etc menut and then select the option. Is there any equivalent of windows' Alt+F, Alt+E etc to access the file, edit menu?
    I don't think there is anything like this - you have to click before using these shortcuts.
    fractal wrote:
    I've found TextMate and that seems great but surely there has to be a freeware equivalent?
    Welcome to Mac :(

Souper, I think he means in terms of coding, so TextEdit would be a bollocks for that.
    Take a look over a www.versiontracker.com - if there's a decent freeware text editor, it's going to be over there.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmm, not sure how well it works on Intel hardware, but is there anything you could compile through fink from linux-land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Use Apple-Tab for tabbing through the open applications.

And for freeware text editors I find Textwrangler to be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Asked a list about the minimising biz and people recommended this:

http://www.petermaurer.de/nasi.php?section=witch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭fractal

Hey Guys!

Thanks so much for the tips.. Witch seems really really really useful to me! Coming from a Windows/Linux background previous to this I wonder why this isnt the default behaviour for Apple+Tab under macos...

TextWrangler isnt quite perfect but it seems good and im sure after a few more hours/days playing with it and getting more familiar, it'll suit me down to the ground..

Thanks again...

Advertisement