Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Interface Cards for Mac

Options
  • 18-04-2006 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

16 hours to transfer 40GB... hmmm... looks like my G4 Powermac is only USB 1 and not USB 2.0.

Can anyone tell me if I just stick a cheap (Marx have them for €10) USB 2.0 Interface card into the Mac will it be recognised? Or do I have to track down some special mac compatable card.

I'm running 10.4 by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I personally did this in a G4 Digital Audio Power Mac and it worked without any intervention at all - i.e. no additional drivers or sourcing a Mac specific card!! You only require that your OS supports USB2.0, and I think everything from Panther up did. It was a cheap (20 quid) offering from a PC Parts Supplier.

Won't cause any harm as it's PCI based so worth the try.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. I figured as much.

And €10 isn't much to gamble with anyway. Apple themselves are pushing a pricey €50 Belkin card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

This place sell several PCI USB cards and all are cross platform compatible. The 480Mpbs promised by USB is dependent on the CPU of the host machine. What about Firewire ?

I've also found some PC network cards that work on Mac too.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd prefer Firewire myself... but a lot of the cheap external hard drives you can pick up are just USB 2.0.

Advertisement