Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy mini - Low on space - HOW??

Options
  • 01-01-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

I've a Galaxy S5570 mini and it's telling me that the internal phone storage is getting low on space...........I've checked and the SD card has a total of 1.84GB with 1.75GB free, the internal phone storage is showing as having 17.23MB free - is there a temp memory I can empty, not sure what else to do, I've removed my non-essential apps, but don't want to resort to deleting facebook, etc, otherwise what's the point in having a smart phone??

all feedback gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

cjmcork wrote: »
    I've a Galaxy S5570 mini and it's telling me that the internal phone storage is getting low on space...........I've checked and the SD card has a total of 1.84GB with 1.75GB free, the internal phone storage is showing as having 17.23MB free - is there a temp memory I can empty, not sure what else to do, I've removed my non-essential apps, but don't want to resort to deleting facebook, etc, otherwise what's the point in having a smart phone??

all feedback gratefully received.

Here you go OP-

http://www.droidiser.com/2012/05/how-to-increase-internal-memory-and-ram.html?m=1

It's an easy enough to follow guide and should only take you about an hour to do. The problem is really the 17.23mb left on your phone memory. You'll want to increase that by at least 200mb for comfort. It uses the SD card in your phone to create this extra virtual phone memory, and then an extra 20mb swapfile is like adding virtual ram to your phone.

Makes all the difference with a low spec phone like the galaxy mini, certainly provided mine with a noticeable speed boost and plenty more room for more apps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Here you go OP-

http://www.droidiser.com/2012/05/how-to-increase-internal-memory-and-ram.html?m=1

It's an easy enough to follow guide and should only take you about an hour to do. The problem is really the 17.23mb left on your phone memory. You'll want to increase that by at least 200mb for comfort. It uses the SD card in your phone to create this extra virtual phone memory, and then an extra 20mb swapfile is like adding virtual ram to your phone.

Makes all the difference with a low spec phone like the galaxy mini, certainly provided mine with a noticeable speed boost and plenty more room for more apps!

I'd be very skeptical about using SWAP on android. Androids memory managementmanagement doesnt like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Dubhaltach wrote: »

I'd be very skeptical about using SWAP on android. Androids memory managementmanagement doesnt like it

You're right Dub, I probably should have mentioned that I'm using Cyanogenmod 9 on my galaxy mini (I tried CM10 but it had too many bugs), and I had all the necessary partitioning done before I flashed cm9 on the phone.

Took this from another site-

http://madteam.co/forum/support-7/swap-recommendation/
    You need to be careful when applying swap settings. On a slow memory card, it will have the effect of freezing your phone while reading from the memory card, but on faster memory cards, it can considerably speed up the phone.

Will people please quote what class memory card, ie class 10, and the swap size they use, and what it runs like, otherwise people will complain their phone runs slow, if they try a bigger swap size on a slow memory card.

eg I use 128MB Swap file, on class 10 16GB Memory card, and all apps open instantly, it never slows down..
    Used to use 32MB on class 6 Memory card, which worked the best.

As Dub points out though, a swap file CAN cause file system errors, so it's not strictly necessary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Czarcasm wrote: »

You're right Dub, I probably should have mentioned that I'm using Cyanogenmod 9 on my galaxy mini (I tried CM10 but it had too many bugs), and I had all the necessary partitioning done before I flashed cm9 on the phone.

Took this from another site-

http://madteam.co/forum/support-7/swap-recommendation/

As Dub points out though, a swap file CAN cause file system errors, so it's not strictly necessary!

True. Also, like here
    Having swap actually prevents the native Android memory management scheme from activating. The system sees memory and doesn't distinguish between physical and virtual. It will therefore prefer swap over the native Android memory management scheme, and won’t activate the native scheme until swap is full.
    it isn't always for the best, although it I'd disputed. Nevertheless, I would advise a kernel with KSM and in occasional situations ZRAM. they both can compress memory to" give you more"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

thanks for the responses - seems VVVVV technical :o not sure I've the know-how to do it to be honest

• Advertisement
Advertisement