Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy i9000, failing to connect to mobile network

Options
  • 24-02-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Was playing around, trying out a few different sim cards in my an o2, three and meteor sims. Well somewhere between switching them, and playing about with the APN settings to get 3g working, something has gone wrong. Now no matter what sim i use i can;t connect to any of the mobile networks. When i manually try to connect i keep getting 'unable to connect. try again later'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Fix the APN. Different networks need different settings.

Am guessing you have the stock rom. If you install a custom rom they usually come with a proper APN database that will detect your simcard and "just work". A stock phone from 3 would not have the settings from vodafone stored on it, and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

el dude wrote: »
    Was playing around, trying out a few different sim cards in my an o2, three and meteor sims. Well somewhere between switching them, and playing about with the APN settings to get 3g working, something has gone wrong. Now no matter what sim i use i can;t connect to any of the mobile networks. When i manually try to connect i keep getting 'unable to connect. try again later'.

Dial *06#*
    I bet you that the IMEI on your display doesn't match the IMEI under your battery.

On the display, does it start with 0049?
    Are you messing around with custom ROMs or unlocking your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

RangeR wrote: »
    Dial *06#*
    I bet you that the IMEI on your display doesn't match the IMEI under your battery.

Entered that, done nothing, still got the 'mobile network not available message' when i hit dial.
    On the display, does it start with 0049?
    Are you messing around with custom ROMs or unlocking your phone?

Looking at the phone status, it does yes.

Phone is unlocked, no custom roms, just a custom kernel.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Fix the APN. Different networks need different settings.

Am guessing you have the stock rom. If you install a custom rom they usually come with a proper APN database that will detect your simcard and "just work". A stock phone from 3 would not have the settings from vodafone stored on it, and vice versa.

What do you mean by fix? I reset to default if that's what you mean? But is the APN not only related to mobile internet anyway? I cant connect to any of the carriers at all.

Have flashed back to stock since, which didn't really do anything.

Sorry, my head is all over the place today.

I meant to say dial *#06#. It displays [what your phone thinks is] your IMEI on screen. This MUST match what's under your battery.

Sorry, my head is all over the place today.

I meant to say dial *#06#. It displays [what your phone thinks is] your IMEI on screen. This MUST match what's under your battery.

No, it doesn't match, but i don't think it ever did, and it was working for months that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Factory reset it.

No, it doesn't match, but i don't think it ever did, and it was working for months that way.

You have a dud phone. The fact that it used to work... is irrelevant. The mobile companies are black listing these "dodgy IMEI's" as they see them. You just got away with it longer than the rest of us.

Factory Reset won't fix this. The IMEI is stored on an encrypted file system EFS that you cannot write to.

If you received the phone in this state, either the original owner did this, accidentally, or it's a stolen phone.

If you did this by unlocking it or putting on custom kernel, then fair enough.

Either way, it's now an expensive PDA. So is mine.

The ONLY way, and I do mean ONLY way to fix this is to send it back to an authorised Samsung fixer, who can re-write the EFS with the proper IMEI. However, you are going to have to prove 100% that it's your phone. You will need the receipt. If you aren't the original owner of this phone, you can whistle for a fix because it won't happen [unless you have a receipt, maybe]

Basically, the onus is now on you to prove it's not a stolen phone.

You have a dud phone. The fact that it used to work... is irrelevant. The mobile companies are black listing these "dodgy IMEI's" as they see them. You just got away with it longer than the rest of us.

I'd say you've nailed it there so. I bought the handset on adverts.ie, i unlocked it myself as it was tied to eircom.

Do you know where i might find one of these samsung fixers and what kind of price we'd be talking about?

I'd say you've nailed it there so. I bought the handset on adverts.ie, i unlocked it myself as it was tied to eircom.

Do you know where i might find one of these samsung fixers and what kind of price we'd be talking about?

You can try FoneMenders. We use them and they are the professionals.

No idea on price but I'd guess less than €200 :)
    Unless you have the receipt, they probably won't even talk to you. Again, the onus is on you to PROVE it's not stolen. At the moment, the assumption is that it is.

Got it sorted anyway it looks like.

Hop over to the XDA forums and have a search.

• Advertisement

Got it sorted anyway it looks like.

Hop over to the XDA forums and have a search.

Really? Ans id your IMEI still different to under the battery? Is it different to what it was on screen?

I tried a few things from xda but none worked. Would you mind sharing the link that worked for you, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Hi,

Same problem with an unlocked Galaxy Note. Was working fine with Free (French) and Vodafone SIM and then suddenly unable to connect to network with either. It is unlocked. IMEI matches the one under the battery. APN Settings seem to match the respective network when each SIM is put in. Well the name does and I haven't tinkered with them...

Any ideas please? I bought it unlocked off the French equivalent of adverts.ie and have the receipt from the phone operator that sold it, with warranty but it's not in my name. Do I have a chance of them sorting it?

Thanks

Bellemz wrote: »
    Hi,

Same problem with an unlocked Galaxy Note. Was working fine with Free (French) and Vodafone SIM and then suddenly unable to connect to network with either. It is unlocked. IMEI matches the one under the battery. APN Settings seem to match the respective network when each SIM is put in. Well the name does and I haven't tinkered with them...

Any ideas please? I bought it unlocked off the French equivalent of adverts.ie and have the receipt from the phone operator that sold it, with warranty but it's not in my name. Do I have a chance of them sorting it?

Thanks

This is not the same problem. The OP had a broken IMEI on his phone. You have a valid one. You say that you purchased the phone from a French "Adverts.ie" type site. If ths phone is not working here, the chances are it's a stolen phone and the IMEI has been put on the European IMEI blacklist.

Be specific. What's not working? Calls / Texts / Data?

Did you ring your network operator for assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Hi,

My Network in France don't offer tech support. I can go back to the provider that sold the phone (SFR) but I'm not a customer of theirs so not sure they'll help. Hoping the receipt will do it.

What's not working: I have bars of coverage that vary with location, but I'm seeing "Emergency calls only" and if I try to connect to the network it says "Unable to connect. Try Later". I can connect to WiFi but no calls/texts/data. I have tried with two different SIMs so it's not a SIM/network problem.

Phone doesn't seem stolen as it came new with receipt/warranty and original box (all IMEI's matching).

It has worked fine for the last 6 weeks or so. Nothing out of the ordinary happened before this kicked in.

Bellemz wrote: »
    Hi,

My Network in France don't offer tech support. I can go back to the provider that sold the phone (SFR) but I'm not a customer of theirs so not sure they'll help. Hoping the receipt will do it.

Try a PAYG SIM from a network that DOES offer Technical Support.

Advertisement