Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I build a network circuit?

Options
  • 06-10-2015 10:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

I know it's a fairly vague question but here's what I want to do.

There are two offices....one in Dublin and one in London. I want to connect the two via their own private network link. So office 1 will connect to a data centre in say Swords or Blanchardstown where I will have network equipment like a switch and that switch will then connect to a link that will connect to a similar data centre in London....say, somewhere in Islington and then that switch or whatever will connect to the Office 2 which might be a mile down the road.

I come from a Unix background so I'm not much of a network guy.
    So I imagine that I would rent a connection from Office1 to the Data Centre, then connect that to equipment in my cabinet and then connect that to a link that will go across the sea to the UK and down to London.....probably from Hibernia networks, and so on.

I basically want to build my own carrier for these 2 offices . If anyone knows the steps as to how this is done I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you need the two data centres?

The typical config here is to have a decent broadband connection in both offices with a half-decent VPN gateway on both sides like a SonicWall or Checkpoint.

You then configure a site-to-site VPN between the two sites.

You'd only include a data centre if you were using it to host servers for mail, files, etc. Even then in most setups, you'd have a 3-way link, with each office connecting to both the data centre and the other office via VPNs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

seamus wrote: »
    Do you need the two data centres?

The typical config here is to have a decent broadband connection in both offices with a half-decent VPN gateway on both sides like a SonicWall or Checkpoint.

You then configure a site-to-site VPN between the two sites.

You'd only include a data centre if you were using it to host servers for mail, files, etc. Even then in most setups, you'd have a 3-way link, with each office connecting to both the data centre and the other office via VPNs.

Hi Seamus, ultimately I would like to sell some of the bandwidth to others so I would like a fairly high-speed link between the two locations that i could provide others with a circuits between the two cities. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

this kinda craic ?
    http://www.airfibre.ie/press-analyst-relations.htm

"A 10Mbps Point to Point private circuit between Dublin and London (Telehouse) is priced at €500 per month"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hi Seamus, ultimately I would like to sell some of the bandwidth to others so I would like a fairly high-speed link between the two locations that i could provide others with a circuits between the two cities. Does that make sense?

Not in a logical or economic sense, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As the other two lads have pointed out here, you'd be ten years too late trying to get into that market. Bigger ISPs will already be supplying guaranteed QoS services between London and Dublin at cost-effective rates, and the vast majority of businesses don't require connectivity with anything above 3-nines uptime. Which they can achieve themselves with two broadband connections and a VPN gateway on either side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement