Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any experience of DirectBikes?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I bought a scooter 18 months ago to use to get to work. It was stolen recently, so I'm thinking of replacing it.

Saw this scooter which seemed good value.

Anyone any experience of these machines? Seems to be a generic cheap bike. I'm not too worried about that, or looks, just want to know parts can be got if needed.

Also, anyone know if the company is reliable?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Looks like Chinese junk, plus they are based in the UK so when it does break down you're fvcked. Go for a mainstream brand that you will have no problem finding replacement parts for.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Looks like Chinese junk

I've no experience of them... are they really junk? Or is this just a common perception of anything "made in China"? Don't mean to disbelieve you, but you can get some decent stuff from China.

I agree a well known European brand may be easier to source parts for, but is it necessarily more reliable?

Directbikes are committing to a 12 month part guarantee, plus an optional purchase of 12 months for about €80.

figs wrote: »
    I've no experience of them... are they really junk? Or is this just a common perception of anything "made in China"? Don't mean to disbelieve you, but you can get some decent stuff from China.

I agree a well known European brand may be easier to source parts for, but is it necessarily more reliable?

Directbikes are committing to a 12 month part guarantee, plus an optional purchase of 12 months for about €80.

Most of these chinese bikes are muck, they usually give nothing but trouble and you will not be able to get second hand parts for it. A two year warranty really isn't a lot for a new bike.

Go for a reputable Japanese brand, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

figs wrote: »

If your bike breaks down, what are you going to do? Your going to have to either pay somebody here to source the fault and remove the part, send that to England and wait for the return part. Or ship the whole bike back over at a huge expense. All of this is time wasted and large costs involved for a moped of questionable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

chinese bikes that melt in the rain, and no mechanic is going to want to touch

stick with the big jap 4's and save yourself the heartache

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Your talking about €1,000 for this scooter.

Getting a used jap/italian scooter here makes better sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

no resale value
    no relibality
    no parts
    no reviews

seems like a good idea to me i mean if yer gonna buy a scooter you might as well get one that makes you hate it then get a bike

buy this

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/993736

or something similar

Or something like this if you want something mopedy looking. Had one myself years ago, if you get one thats been looked after you'll have no trouble with it. But if something does wrong you'll have no hassle sourcing parts, they're really popular mopeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Ok, thanks all... appreciate all your input. The "melt in the rain" bit has me worried! :eek:

I'll start looking for a decent bike and probably save myself some heartache in the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Get a Honda Lead secondhand, few bikes start on the electric start after a near year of not being used. Good for 50 mph.

• Advertisement
Advertisement