Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotorBike tour of Europe next year

Options
  • 04-09-2009 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hey.

Im bouncing around the idea of taking a motorbike tour of Europe next year, but Im not sure of the licensing issues. Basically I dont have a motorbike license, only a provisional car license. Will I be able to take test and get a license in a couple of months, from what Im seeing online, Im starting to think it might be a couple of years waiting for a full motorbike license.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You have to wait six months from the day you get your provisional licence to the day you sit your test. But if you know what the waiting times are at your test centre, you can book the test early and take it just after the six months are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Well you will have to have the learner permit for 6 months before you can take the test. So the absolute min possible wound be more than 6 months after you get the learner permit. I don't know what the test waiting times are like, but i think there more than 6 months so apply for the test asap.
    Someone on here not too long ago passed the test after only getting a couple of lessons the week of the test so it is possible to pass the test without much experience and some training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

And don't forget that after obtaining your Full License you are limited to riding a 33bhp (or 25kW) bike for 2 years. And tourinf Europe on a bike like that doesn't sound like too much fun (but it's possible!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

And don't forget that after obtaining your Full License you are limited to riding a 33bhp (or 25kW) bike for 2 years. And tourinf Europe on a bike like that doesn't sound like too much fun (but it's possible!)

Depends on the bike, and to an extent, the rider.

My bike would be great for a tour of Europe - it acelerates quick enough, and keeps up with most bikes. It goes all the way up to 'one hundred and a lot' km/h before it runs out of steam. It will happily cruise at the speed limit for hours, has a 20l tank, good for around 350km (or more) @ 120 km/h.
    I can get panniers for it, which would be enough space for one person for a week - if I need more space, I could get a topbox and a tank bag.

P.C. wrote: »
    Depends on the bike, and to an extent, the rider.

My bike would be great for a tour of Europe - it acelerates quick enough, and keeps up with most bikes. It goes all the way up to 'one hundred and a lot' km/h before it runs out of steam. It will happily cruise at the speed limit for hours, has a 20l tank, good for around 350km (or more) @ 120 km/h.
    I can get panniers for it, which would be enough space for one person for a week - if I need more space, I could get a topbox and a tank bag.
    That's why I said it was possible. I also want to tour Europe. But I'm going for the roads! So it means riding the 'blade (just thinking about it hurts my @ss!) and enjoying the perfect continental roads! :D

There's that one road between Prague and Poland (through the mountains) that I CAN'T WAIT to do on the bike! I'm always in the rental car when I do it and everytime I say to the GF "If only I had the 'blade!". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

doesn't sound like too much fun (but it's possible!)
    That's why I said it was possible.

But, with my bike it will be possible, fun and practical. :D

As much as a 'Blade' would be more fun on certain roads, the getting there and getting back would not be very practical or fun.

Wouldn't it be great if you could fly there, and meet your bike there. Ride all the good roads, and then when you are finished, fly back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

Just apply for the learner permit now, you will get a full licence by next year easily, and it will be a story to tell when you come back from the trip. People ride c90's around the world so don't think that you need a big BMW or tourer to go anywhere further than 500 miles. Any 400-600cc bike can make a round Europe trip easily, the bigger question is how much time you will have to complete your journey. Small roads, real countryside, slow pace equals fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

As far as touring around Europe...

I'm in a similar position, but a bit far ahead of you.

I got my 3rd bike, 600cc restricted with panniers and a tank bag. I have the bracket for a top box, just need 420e to actually buy the bloody thing!

I bought my bike specifically to go touring around Europe. It does everything else great, but it was for Europe. 3 weeks after I got it, I passed my test and now have a full licence, however, I have to wait 2 years to get the restrictor taken off.

It would be nicer to go touring with what I consider to be a beast of a full power bike. 98bhp is PLENTY for me, but with the 25kw restriction on it, I'm still happy to tour. Getting to 120kph is gorgeously quick and I've no real want for anymore.

My advice:

Do yout theory test NOW.

Get your licence and start the 6 month clock ticking.

Get your test asap.

When you have your full licence, start the 24 month clock ticking.

Once you have the last step, you can go around Europe, restriction or not. Let me know when your going though, cos I genuinelly want to go too!!!!!

I genuinelly want to go too!!!!!

Good advice in your post.

I also want to go!!!!! :D

If we plan this properly, we could go next year. :cool:

* runs off to start a thread about a Boards bike trip to Europe *

P.C. wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if you could fly there, and meet your bike there. Ride all the good roads, and then when you are finished, fly back.
    I'd be doing it every month if that was the possible! :D

• Advertisement

I'd be up for a European trip too!!!

And remember "What goes on tour STAYS ON TOUR!"

Here we come Amsterdam! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Thanks for the replies guys, and the impromptu boards European motorcycle tour. Wohooo:)

Im googling 33bph bikes at the moment, has anyone any suggestions? Maybe restrict a bigger bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Count me in lads, I know some great routes through the Alps :D

I'd be up for a European trip too!!!

And remember "What goes on tour STAYS ON TOUR!"

Here we come Amsterdam! :D

Jaysus, if we end up in Amsterdam I'll be barely able to walk, never mind ride my bike :D

oxygen wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys, and the impromptu boards European motorcycle tour. Wohooo:)

Im googling 33bph bikes at the moment, has anyone any suggestions? Maybe restrict a bigger bike?

Get a 600ish CC bike and have it restricted, you'll have a lot more power than a bike that tops out at 33bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda Cb500, Yamaha Fazer or Suzuki GS500 restricted.. they would all do the job, but you have to test ride them to see which one you like the most. Get a faired version (s) of them for wind protection if you want to tour on them.

Then get insurance quotes to see if there is a big difference between them... that's it and you are on the right track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

fair interesting . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

KTRIC wrote: »
    Count me in lads, I know some great routes through the Alps :D

Count you in? I think they'll plan to stay at your place!! :D

A bigger 600 restricted would be more suited to touring. Bigger, smoother, more stability and more comfort if you get the right one. I say Fazer, but then again Im biased!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

A bigger 600 restricted would be more suited to touring. Bigger, smoother, more stability and more comfort if you get the right one. I say Fazer, but then again Im biased!

Woo, FAZER :) just got mine earlier today, restricted, it's so much better than a yammy ybr 125, still adjusting to the acceleration and riding position. I'd be interested in going on a euro tour, kinda why i upgraded my bike. That and increased speed/power.

• Advertisement

Haha, I had a YBR125 and then a Ninja 250. The YBR is a great little bike all the same. When I was selling mine, I drove from Dublin to Cork to deliver it. 5 hours it took. Doing a screaming 95kph the whole way there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Haha, I had a YBR125 and then a Ninja 250. The YBR is a great little bike all the same. When I was selling mine, I drove from Dublin to Cork to deliver it. 5 hours it took. Doing a screaming 95kph the whole way there:D
    Jaysus. Fair play to ya. I would crack up at that speed lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

seanybiker wrote: »
    Jaysus. Fair play to ya. I would crack up at that speed lol.

Back on the ybr, i'd be so excited when i passed the 90kph mark, it was 'sooooo' fast, the engine would be screeching, good fun indeed.

Advertisement