Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ASOT wrote: »
    Dolce says Hendricks was 218 going into the cut for his second fight with Lawlor and he was between, 210-215 going into the Woodley fight.... That's an absolutely ridiculous weight cut, I actually feel sorry for his kidneys. For the sake of his heart he should either stop getting so fat or never try cut to WW again, that's Rumble Johnson stlye cut to WW. Hendricks would 100% benefit from a lesser cut and fighting at MW imo

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/7/9469115/mike-dolce-johny-hendricks-ufc-192-weight-cut-was-a-comedy-of-errors

The bigger MW's like Weidman and Rockhold will tower over Hendricks though. He needs to smarten up soon if he wants a career at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

The bigger MW's like Weidman and Rockhold will tower over Hendricks though. He needs to smarten up soon if he wants a career at the top

Yeah but they would be the exceptions, weidman is just a massive human being anyway, cutting from 218 to 170 is wrong on so many levels. Your 100% he needs to smarten up sharpish or he's bolloxed.

ASOT wrote: »
    Yeah but they would be the exceptions, weidman is just a massive human being anyway, cutting from 218 to 170 is wrong on so many levels. Your 100% he needs to smarten up sharpish or he's bolloxed.

They're the top guys though, if Hendricks wants to get to the top he'd be facing them and he'd find it tough.

He only has a few years of a career left, plenty of time for his steakhouse once he retires

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jesus, 218 at 5'9" is borderline obese, he only has himself to blame, you can't be that weight as a professional athlete, at any time. He's not taking his career seriously, and as painful as kidney stones are, he fully deserved it for his stupidity. Might teach him a lesson to cop on and keep lean between fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

He needs to smarten up soon if he wants a career at the top

He'll never get anywhere with that attitude

wpid-wp-1395325359895.jpeg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

And he'll never get it again and I for one am delighted. Not letting kids touch his belt because they had a smile be didn't like and they didn't earn a chance to touch it. Ending this post as it will easily turn into fighter bashing and rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    And he'll never get it again and I for one am delighted. Not letting kids touch his belt because they had a smile be didn't like and they didn't earn a chance to touch it. Ending this post as it will easily turn into fighter bashing and rightfully so.

Like you that passed me off tremendously. Arogence at its highest.

Johnny Hendricks has been an elite level athlete since the age of 16. He's won literally every honour possible for him.

Four time All American, three time big 12 conference winner, two time NCAA national champion.

The only two people to beat him since the TUF final are GSP and Lawlor, and he beat Lawlor in the fight before that.

It doesn't matter that you don't like him, the man is a proven winner. He'll again.

His entire life the way he was doing things worked, this time it didn't. He'll either adjust, go up at weight or carry on as is.

Either way he'll still be an elite level machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aw yeah he's a power house but I'll never be able to root for him again. Saying that, it only occurred to me lately that there are more fighters i dislike than i like, strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

http://youtu.be/NyMHRRFxJ4E

Really enjoyed the chat with Roddy, such a nice bloke! Ryan Curtis one to watch, sbg Charlestown as well very very smart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

He won't do anything at middleweight, and that'll just allow him to stay chubby. He needs to lose some of that flab and stay at ww to be competitive, I expect him to be forced up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

That is a crazy weight cut.

I know we are talking completely different levels of the sport, but to put that in perspective. I compete at welterweight - 77kg and I walk around 82Kg.

Hendricks is dropping from just under 100kg to 77kg. Its just silly and no wonder he is having problems. I know some big professional WWs who would drop from low 90s or high 80s but from 100kg is just asking for problems.

But you have to remember, he's been doing this for literally most of his life. He's been doing the hardcore wrestler style cuts since he was like 15 years old. It won him two national highschool championships, it wont him two national college championships, it got him 4 all american honours, 3 big 12 conference wins and won him the world title in the UFC.

The only difference now is that he's older.
    It was going to catch up to him eventually, he just didn't think it would be this soon.

The only adjustment he really has to make is not to turn into a fat feck between fights and keep his weight in under 200lbs and he'll be fine once he starts cutting at a decent distance from his fights and does it with a good dietician and coach.

I reckon he'll take 6 months, get to a "healthy" sub 200lbs weight and then book a fight and cut from there.

I don't see him going to 185 because he won't want to and Dana can't make him, to be frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I don't see him going to 185 because he won't want to and Dana can't make him, to be frank.

Or Lorenzo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,067 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That is a crazy weight cut.
    I know we are talking completely different levels of the sport, but to put that in perspective. I complete at welterweight - 77kg and I walk around 82Kg.

Hendricks is dropping from just under 100kg to 77kg
    Yeah but you are actually cutting from 82kg to 77kg.
    I cut from a similar 74/75kg to 70kg.

Johnny isn't cutting from 205-210lbs (95kg) though. That's the weight he was at the start of fight camp. Dolce knows that, he's just putting some spin on it. I met Dolce earlier this year, and he told me Hendricks cuts from about 190lbs or just above, or at least that’s where he should be coming into fight week. He said Thiago Alves (I think) cuts more, from 196lbs, with less difficultly.
    Apparently, according to his coach, Johnys nutrition in his camp didn’t go as planned and he was over coming into fight week. But they won’t say how much over he was.

By still feel that Johnny isn’t cutting too much, and probably not more than other big WW’s. It’s that he gets too fat and has to focus so much on losing fat during camp. Coming into fight week he is half drained started his cut. Ans as he spend the last 8-10 weeks trying to shead fat, he is carrying less muscle than WW’s a similar weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Yeah but you are actually cutting from 82kg to 77kg.
    I cut from a similar 74/75kg to 70kg.

Johnny isn't cutting from 205-210lbs (95kg) though. That's the weight he was at the start of fight camp. Dolce knows that, he's just putting some spin on it. I met Dolce earlier this year, and he told me Hendricks cuts from about 190lbs or just above, or at least that’s where he should be coming into fight week. He said Thiago Alves (I think) cuts more, from 196lbs, with less difficultly.
    Apparently, according to his coach, Johnys nutrition in his camp didn’t go as planned and he was over coming into fight week. But they won’t say how much over he was.

By still feel that Johnny isn’t cutting too much, and probably not more than other big WW’s. It’s that he gets too fat and has to focus so much on losing fat during camp. Coming into fight week he is half drained started his cut. Ans as he spend the last 8-10 weeks trying to shead fat, he is carrying less muscle than WW’s a similar weight

I would diet quickly to about 79kg and cut only 2Kg. As I compete at amateur I don't see the point in massive draining cuts. Maybe if I go pro I might move to lightweight again.

If he is actually cutting from 196/89Kg to 170/77kg its still 12kg of dehydration for not a very big guy, its a lot of water. I just don't see how you can cut 10kg+ without running into issues or having a pretty negative effect on performance.

If he is actually cutting from 196/89Kg to 170/77kg its still 12kg of dehydration for not a very big guy, its a lot of water. I just don't see how you can cut 10kg+ without running into issues or having a pretty negative effect on performance.
    Cutting from 190lbs would be 9kg. That's where Johnny is supposed to cut from, apparently. I'd guess he tried to do 196 or so was ran into issues.

Alves was 196lbs walking around, but had more muscle mass than Johnny at north of 215lbs.

Surely Conor is cutting around the 20lb mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This is a good read from Chuck Mindenhall:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/10/9/9431531/in-the-hands-of-a-judge
    The many lives of Douglas Crosby, who aside from being a Hollywood stuntman with a bombastic personality, is the man fans love to hate as an MMA official.

Mellor wrote: »
    Cutting from 190lbs would be 9kg. That's where Johnny is supposed to cut from, apparently. I'd guess he tried to do 196 or so was ran into issues.

Alves was 196lbs walking around, but had more muscle mass than Johnny at north of 215lbs.

Surely Conor is cutting around the 20lb mark.

Didn't Chael say he was 27 pounds over with 8 days to go before Mendes fight?

Imagine the hysteria if Conor was pulled from a fight a day before because of weight issues

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Imagine the hysteria if Conor was pulled from a fight a day before because of weight issues

He's still young, he's more likely to get away with it but I hate seeing him cut that much, he looks like death at weigh-ins. I think after the Aldo fight, he's got maybe one more cut like that left in him, then it's up to lightweight, for a new challenge at a much more sustainable and healthy weight.

• Advertisement

Chael talking crap again. I doubt Conor goes 27 lbs over in the off season, never mind 8 days before a fight. I'm pretty sure Conor denied it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Chael talking crap again. I doubt Conor goes 27 lbs over in the off season, never mind 8 days before a fight. I'm pretty sure Conor denied it too.

I wouldn't be too sure. Ever see him standing next to GSP and Weidmann? Conor's a big lad for the weight class!

Conor-Mcgregor-and-GSP1-e1411937238170.png

Screen-Shot-2015-06-30-at-5.47.39-PM.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

On the embedded for the aldo v mcgregor press tour mcgregor told the politician his walking around weight was 170 or around that.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    On the embedded for the aldo v mcgregor press tour mcgregor told the politician his walking around weight was 170 or around that.

He wasn't in camp then.

He might go to 175-180 out of camp if he's really, really pushing the boundaries but there's no way he was 27 lbs over 8 days out. Conor has said in a few pressers that he's around 170 out of camp.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah, so in his off season he goes 25lbs or thereabouts over his fighting weight

CatFromHue wrote: »
    yeah, so in his off season he goes 25lbs or thereabouts over his fighting weight

Which is fine.

In Hencricks off season he's going from fighting at 170 to 218... That's 48lbs.

Now, he's not "walking around" at 218, that's just when he's being a fat feck. And he's not training at 218. He's sub 200 when he's training. But if he didn't blow up at all, and just kept an eye on his weight, he'd have a much easier time come cut.

He wasn't in camp then.
    I think they were refering to
    Chael talking crap again. I doubt Conor goes 27 lbs over in the off season.

I'm 170-172. I'd say Conor is about the same between fights. Chael was just twisting the facts as per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

JR6 wrote: »

Hard to blame him really.

If his $10,000 v $100,000 argument in sponsorship under the Reebok deal is true then that's one reason, but he's also doing extremely well away from the octagon with his The Fighter and the Kid podcast along with selling merchandise etc. Not many fighters do so well for themselves outside the octagon that they can afford to take an indefinite sabbatical.

Fair play to him I say.

• Advertisement

I reckon he's trying to get himself cut by talking smack about rebok all the time, to be honest. Getting let go by the UFC means he can take his sponsors with him to Bellator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement