Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject Choice Help

Options
  • 14-05-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I am Going into Fifth Year In September 2014, and I Have Chosen my Subjects. I chose Accounting, Applied Maths, Chemistry and Physics, (French outside of school). I am having second thoughts about the four subjects I chose in school, And was wondering if I was to drop/change any of Acc, App. M, Phys or Chem, Which one would You recommend to drop, and what subject would I choose to replace it? I do not Know definitely what career I want, But I Love Maths and Science type courses, with the exception of Accounting and Psychology. Thank You for your time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Well if you love maths and science and accounting then I'd suggest that your subjects are fine! Why are you having second thoughts?

Is it the amount of maths you have to do? Because in all honesty if you're good at maths use it to your advantage! You could always try to swap chemistry or physics with biology, since that has no maths in it? Honestly though I think you've a good selection of subjects based on what you're interested in and what courses you're thinking of pursuing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Doing App Maths with Physics makes the latter like an Ord subject. I'd get rid of Chem cause it's a long course, and requires quite a lot of genuine rote-learning - eg definitions account for about 10-15% of the paper. If you're into it, History is really enjoyable. Bio has a very high A-rate (16%) considering it is the most popular non-core subject. Religious Education is actually a really cool subject and is tragically mis-named - it should really be called Philosophy and Religions. Japanese is supposedly a steal and easily doable in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

I would stick with what you have, and I wouldn't drop chemistry as Mr. Pseudonym says. If you are looking at science type courses, you could be ruling yourself out of a couple by not doing it (you can check that on qualifax). Also it is not a long course, in fact it's considered the shortest of the chem, physics and bio. Granted there are definitions but there's also a whole lot of the chemistry paper you just have to understand whereas biology has 40 something chapters to rote learn! If you like maths chem calculations are a breeze :D

I would stick with what you have, and I wouldn't drop chemistry as Mr. Pseudonym says. If you are looking at science type courses, you could be ruling yourself out of a couple by not doing it (you can check that on qualifax). Also it is not a long course, in fact it's considered the shortest of the chem, physics and bio. Granted there are definitions but there's also a whole lot of the chemistry paper you just have to understand whereas biology has 40 something chapters to rote learn! If you like maths chem calculations are a breeze :D

First, very few courses have Chemistry as a specific requirement - Pharmacy in Trinity and Veterinary in UCD.

Secondly, it is categorically wrong to say that Chem is a shorter course than Physics. As well as that, I would venture it is a good deal longer. Less than Biology, but certainly more than Physics, the Chemistry paper strongly rewards learning over understanding, and I can see no reason why chatterboxxx95 would suggest otherwise.

Very few courses have Chemistry as a specific requirement - Pharmacy in Trinity and Veterinary in UCD.

Please excuse my narrow-minded advice: I had assumed you would be from Dublin! Pharmacy, Dentistry and Medicine in UCC require Chemistry at LC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 needhelpquick

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Well if you love maths and science and accounting then I'd suggest that your subjects are fine! Why are you having second thoughts?

Is it the amount of maths you have to do? Because in all honesty if you're good at maths use it to your advantage! You could always try to swap chemistry or physics with biology, since that has no maths in it? Honestly though I think you've a good selection of subjects based on what you're interested in and what courses you're thinking of pursuing!

Hi! I am having second thoughts as everyone is telling me I picked the hardest subjects and will not do as well in my leaving cert. Its nothing got to do with the maths! Ah I love maths, and am presently taking Higher Level for Junior cert and Achieving A's All Year. So basically, I think If i could chose one easier subject( I know No LC Subject is easy) But it would then lighten my load as I am doing Honors Irish and Maths as well.

Thank you :)
    Doing App Maths with Physics makes the latter like an Ord subject. I'd get rid of Chem cause it's a long course, and requires quite a lot of genuine rote-learning - eg definitions account for about 10-15% of the paper. If you're into it, History is really enjoyable. Bio has a very high A-rate (16%) considering it is the most popular non-core subject. Religious Education is actually a really cool subject and is tragically mis-named - it should really be called Philosophy and Religions. Japanese is supposedly a steal and easily doable in two years.

Hi!

Thank you for your advice! Was thinking of dropping Chemistry but don't want to limit myself! Honestly I Have No interest in History, Religion or Japanese. I was considering Biology or Business myself.
    Thank you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Hi!

Thank you for your advice! Was thinking of dropping Chemistry but don't want to limit myself! Honestly I Have No interest in History, Religion or Japanese. I was considering Biology or Business myself.
    Thank you !

What about geography? Its an easy one to get a good grade in if you are a good student. A lot to rote learn, but that depends on what kind of studier you are.

I know No LC Subject is easy.

Lies, damned lies: some are more equal than others!

"Difficulty" shouldn't matter; just how long it takes you to study them. I probably spent more time studying Chemistry than App Maths and Physics combined.

Hi! I am having second thoughts as everyone is telling me I picked the hardest subjects and will not do as well in my leaving cert. Its nothing got to do with the maths! Ah I love maths, and am presently taking Higher Level for Junior cert and Achieving A's All Year. So basically, I think If i could chose one easier subject( I know No LC Subject is easy) But it would then lighten my load as I am doing Honors Irish and Maths as well.

Thank you :)

That's a silly notion! If you're good at maths then how is it at all possible that you would do poorly in Leaving Cert maths-orientated subjects? Honestly doing subjects you like/have a passion for rather than subjects others consider 'easy' or 'a breeze' would be much better. It's a lot easier to study/learn/understand subjects you've a genuine interest in! I'd say stick with those subjects :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 needhelpquick

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    That's a silly notion! If you're good at maths then how is it at all possible that you would do poorly in Leaving Cert maths-orientated subjects? Honestly doing subjects you like/have a passion for rather than subjects others consider 'easy' or 'a breeze' would be much better. It's a lot easier to study/learn/understand subjects you've a genuine interest in! I'd say stick with those subjects :)

Thank you so much!
    Yes I genuinely love The subjects I picked, and you have reassured me!
    I'm just going to work hard and be positive!
    I suppose, Since i do have an interest in my subjects i won't mind studying them, as i hate Geography and History and I would Loathe having to study them!

Anyway thank you ! :)
    oncex wrote: »
    What about geography? Its an easy one to get a good grade in if you are a good student. A lot to rote learn, but that depends on what kind of studier you are.

I was urged to pick Geography but I honestly Hate it. Ah

Hi, Got my subject choice back and I got;
    Applied Maths
    Business
    Chemistry
    Physics
    I didn't get Accounting unfortunately but I'm happy with business :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In your original post, you wrote I Love Maths and Science type courses, with the exception of Accounting and Psychology (my bold) - was that a mistake?

spurious wrote: »
    In your original post, you wrote I Love Maths and Science type courses, with the exception of Accounting and Psychology (my bold) - was that a mistake?
    I think she meant she wants to do a course in the Science/Maths area with the exception Accounting and Psychology which are outside that field

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pat_McGroyne

As a current LC student the basic fact is: Accounting and Applied Maths are very predictable papers (and dare I say, straightforward to prepare for). Physics does overlap with App Maths yet not to the extent that was pitched to me. To be honest, I would advise dropping Chemistry if anything.. but don't be fooled, Business is a tough subject to do well in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Why does everyone think chemistry is hard and has a long course? :confused: we were finished the course in 5th year and have done nothing but revision/exam papers since. The paper is roughly the same every year, a lot of the experiments are extremely similar and once you begin to understand the basics of chemistry everything else falls into place.

I wouldn't say it's easy mind you, but it certainly isn't one of the harder subjects if you're a science-orientated person.

Advertisement