Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a top end tablet... suggestions?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 11:01am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What are my options for buying a tablet. I am looking for something but a big of oomph which can play games smoothly.

Any suggestions? (I'm sure Samsung is up there, but their offering confuses me sometimes...) What other manufacturers make high end tablets for Android?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

I would be looking at the Google Nexus 7 & 10 or the equivalent Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 or 10.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭drumslate

I have to say I'm very impressed with my Nexus 7 from Google. Its as good as the latest iPad but half the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Opting for a Nexus device has many advantages, it will get updates straight from Google so will always have the latest version of Android. It will also get updates for much longer, possibly for years (unlike others who kill support after about a yr). Vanilla Android Jelly Bean without any modifications or crapware is a fantastic experience. The only drawback is the lack of an SD card slot, so think of this when deciding on which model Nexus.

The reason I went for 7" as opposed to a 10" is the size. A 10" is just too big, it's a two handed device and gets heavy in your hand. The 7" is just perfect for me to hold in one hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

As mentioned above, going Nexus has many benefits especially around getting the latest version of Android as soon as it is released.

I've both the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 and cant fault either. Both have their own strengths, I tend to use the N7 more as a mobile device and ebook reader whilst the larger screen on the N10 is better for using at home for gaming/media. Nexus 10 is only available by jumping through some hoops and ordering from Google UK's online Play store.

Nexus 10 is made by Samsung and the Nexus 7 by ASUS.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is the galaxy tab 7 or 10 ok for running decent games? Seems a little old.

Other than the confusing Nexus brand (10 7 google samsung Asus wut??)

Are there any other decent brands out there? Solid ooomph performance is what I'm after. Thanks for the feedback so far, its been great!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

DeVore wrote: »

Other than the confusing Nexus brand (10 7 google samsung Asus wut??)

Are there any other decent brands out there? Solid ooomph performance is what I'm after. Thanks for the feedback so far, its been great!! :)

If you are more focused on gaming rather than portability, go for the Nexus 10. Both the 7 and 10 do not have SD slots but OTG cables allow you to connect USB drives to them.

I have a 64GB Patriot thumb drive that I use with my Nexus 7 for movies and T.V. shows, and it works perfectly.

As for other options, the Sony Xperia Tablet S and Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime are decently spec-ed options, though my preference would be the Nexus range.

One thing is for sure, if you try the vanilla Android experience on a Nexus device you will never again want the crapware filled bastardisation of Android the others offer on either phones and tablets. It's just so clean and intuitive, really puts it up there to Apple for ease of use. Bet the others will agree.

Google also subsidise the price. If you know someone coming from the States, they are cheaper there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

For pure vanilla Android and excellent specifications for very reasonable money - Nexus 10

- 2560 x 1600 resolution
    - Pure Google experience
    - Samsung made quality

For very close to stock with an excellent keyboard attachment - Asus Transformer TF300T

- Full HD 1920x1080 screen
    - Excellent extra keyboard
    - Fast OS updates & fixes

For close to stock but some very nice software extras / stylus - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

- Samsung made quality
    - Unique software extras
    - S-pen styles experience

And some GSM Arena for specification comparisons ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I'll get shot for this.

I had both the Galaxy Tab 7 and the iPad 3. iPad won hands down.

7" is too small IMO and the android OS didn't do it for me on a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

DeVore wrote: »

I've experienced Temple Run 2 on the tab 2 7" and it runs as smooth as butter. Haven't noticed anything slow at all with this tablet. Although your mileage may vary if you're looking at the very high end games, I can't comment on that aspect.

(I've also used the ipad and mini, nice options if you have the dosh.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

To be honest I found the Tab 2 7" a little slow for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If it is performance you need then get the Nexus 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Asus Transformer TF700 is currently the most highly speced and best performing tablet.

who the **** is suggesting a nexus 7? Its a great tablet at a good price, but not the best tablet out there and a 7 inch screen is a compromise made usually on price. The nexus 10 is not even close to being the best. Samsung are the most highly marketed, but have a reputation for being laggy. Sony have poor ergonomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

That new Sony xperia tablet z looks really nice. Thinnest 10 inch tablet you can get. Its only been announced for release in Japan so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Bluefoam wrote: »
    who the **** is suggesting a nexus 7? Its a great tablet at a good price, but not the best tablet out there and a 7 inch screen is a compromise made usually on price

Absolutely not. People choose the 7 because it fits in a pocket and is better for use as an e-reader. I replaced my old asus transformer with one.

Arguing over specs is also hilarious, since there is nothing that will even stress the nexus 7 as it is.

Finally, asus/samsung own-brand tablets will not get all the updates. Yes I do know that Asus make the N7...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

If your not in a rush then Google have their annual I/O conference in May. They introduced the Nexus 7 at this last year and I expect a new more powerful Nexus 7 to be released with a 1080 true HD screen, possibly Tegra 4 instead of the current Tegra 3 or maybe the new Samsung Exynos 5 Octa Processor which would bring some serious power to the device, thinner bezel, support miracast and have Android 5.0.... all for the same amazing price.

This is what I'd personally do, wait for the updated Nexus 7. I also expect the Nexus 10 to receive an update at the same event if you want the larger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Dudda wrote: »
    If your not in a rush then Google have their annual I/O conference in May. They introduced the Nexus 7 at this last year and I expect a new more powerful Nexus 7 to be released with a 1080 true HD screen, possibly Tegra 4 instead of the current Tegra 3 or maybe the new Samsung Exynos 5 Octa Processor which would bring some serious power to the device, thinner bezel, support miracast and have Android 5.0.... all for the same amazing price.

This is what I'd personally do, wait for the updated Nexus 7. I also expect the Nexus 10 to receive an update at the same event if you want the larger one.

At the moment, my budget stretches to possibly getting a second hand Nexus 7 32 GB..say for under €200.

Plus points:
    Get it quickly
    Native android experience
    Good quality components

Negatives:
    Second hand
    Not easily expandable
    No HDMI out

Or I could buy the Ainol Venus which is a bit of a clone in looks.

Plus points:
    Cheaper (even with Customs charges, and the website says they will cover that if applicable)
    SD slot
    HDMI
    New
    Can pass on to another family member and upgrade post May 2013 if something decent comes out of the conference.

Negatives:
    Processor not as good
    Might wait up to a month for delivery

Any thoughts?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Asus Transformer TF700 is currently the most highly speced and best performing tablet.

who the **** is suggesting a nexus 7? Its a great tablet at a good price, but not the best tablet out there and a 7 inch screen is a compromise made usually on price. The nexus 10 is not even close to being the best. Samsung are the most highly marketed, but have a reputation for being laggy. Sony have poor ergonomics.

Nobody said the Nexus 7 was better spec'd, we said it is a great vanilla Android experience, gets updates for longer and right on the money specs and price wise. My brother has a gen 2 Transformer and hates it, finds it clunky to use, says it's too big and is now changing to an N7 after seeing mine with vanilla Jellybean.
    druss wrote: »
    Or I could buy the Ainol Venus which is a bit of a clone in looks.

Plus points:
    Cheaper (even with Customs charges, and the website says they will cover that if applicable)
    SD slot
    HDMI
    New
    Can pass on to another family member and upgrade post May 2013 if something decent comes out of the conference.

Negatives:
    Processor not as good
    Might wait up to a month for delivery

Any thoughts?

Avoid these, not that there is anything wrong with it, it's the lack of support. They end up staying on the software they are shipped with and don't get updates. This means over time stuff like the market stops working with the changes Google introduce to Android. Tbh Nexus is great value, buy cheap, buy twice.

Advertisement