Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Volume on Android Phones

Options
  • 13-02-2013 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭

One of the things i have noticed is that while ok indoors, the volume on Android phones that i have used seems particularily low, to the point of them being difficult to hear outdoors on podcasts etc.

Anyone have any tips on how to improve this? or is this the same on all phones?

Heard it was due to an EU directive, does this mean that the Jiayu etc, dont suffer from this?

Just to clarify this is through earphones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Most Phones have poor speakers. If you are looking for quality sound when playing outdoors dont ever turn to the speaker on the phone. Use some other external speakers there is many portable variants on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

what you could do is put the phone in a cup or mug. It helps but isn't perfect and if you really stuck cut a slit in a empty roll of toilet roll that you can fit your phone through.

Put the speaker bit in the tube and it jacks up the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I mean through Earphones, i have tried a variety

oh and there is apps that modify volume levels to higher than phone can go normally.

You run into the risk though of cracky sounds or distorted or in worst case scenario damaging the speakers so they never work properly again

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

danniemcq wrote: »
    what you could do is put the phone in a cup or mug. It helps but isn't perfect and if you really stuck cut a slit in a empty roll of toilet roll that you can fit your phone through.

Put the speaker bit in the tube and it jacks up the volume.

:pac:

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »

what phone do you have?

:pac:

haha think my subconsious is trying to tell me something

Right then, Ive a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and what happens is that when you are using for instance google music and increase the volume a warning message appears (i think it is EU directive) that you accept by raising any higher you can damage hearing you press yes and your away.

Ive never had any issues with volume on My Desire, Legend or Nexus. Perhaps its your headphones ??

danniemcq wrote: »
    what phone do you have?

Huawei G330, Had an Sony Xperia S prior and it wasnt as bad but still low

Maybe i have just damaged my ears...... ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

listermint wrote: »
    Ive never had any issues with volume on My Desire, Legend or Nexus. Perhaps its your headphones ??

Nah. I've the same problem. I had a Galaxy S3 and listened to podcasts on it all the time.
    I moved to a HTC Desire X. With the same earphones I can't hear the speech in podcasts if I'm walking beside a road. They're fine in quite areas but useless anywhere there's traffic. I never had any issue with the S3.

• Advertisement

Nah. I've the same problem. I had a Galaxy S3 and listened to podcasts on it all the time.
    I moved to a HTC Desire X. With the same earphones I can't hear the speech in podcasts if I'm walking beside a road. They're fine in quite areas but useless anywhere there's traffic. I never had any issue with the S3.

Yes music is fine, its podcasts that are the problem, which is more or less all i listen to on it

Yes music is fine, its podcasts that are the problem, which is more or less all i listen to on it

Well then it sounds like its not a device issue its an app issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

listermint wrote: »
    Well then it sounds like its not a device issue its an app issue.

In my post I said I used to use a GS3. I used PocketCasts.

Now that I've moved to a Desire X I'm still using PocketCasts and I can't hear the podcasts with maximum volume and the same earphones I used on the S3 while walking anywhere there is traffic.

I did borrow an S3 to try it out and it is noticeably louder with the same earphones.

Try Beats Audio maybe?

On second thoughts, DON'T do that! I installed Beats on my Ascend G300 and it completely ****ed up all my audio, and it can't be uninstalled.

In my post I said I used to use a GS3. I used PocketCasts.

Now that I've moved to a Desire X I'm still using PocketCasts and I can't hear the podcasts with maximum volume and the same earphones I used on the S3 while walking anywhere there is traffic.

I did borrow an S3 to try it out and it is noticeably louder with the same earphones.

Same use double twist on both and same issue

Advertisement