Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New tablet on offer in argos

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

Just spotted this

www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5089040/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CiPad+and+tablets%7C24662256.htm

Anyone here have one? Was thinking of getting a tablet for the old man, budget around 200, so this caught my eye.

Would like to hear from anyone who has one, please.

Thanks
    I would recommend nexus 7 over that. Better specs, screen etc and will get all future updates for a good while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Thanks, thought about that, but I reckon 7 inch screen would be too small for him.

Nexus 10 is rumoured to be announced next week, I'd hold off until then if possible.

Nexus 10 is rumoured to be announced next week, I'd hold off until then if possible.

Probably be over my 200 budget, though. Don't really want to go 2nd hand either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Im also looking for a 10 inch tablet under 200 euro. I had bought the archos 101 g9 from argos, labelled the arnova g3, but the touchscreen was faulty so I took it back and got another one but that was also faulty and I got my money back. I was looking at this cnm one for 180 as well but im weary after the last ones.

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Im also looking for a 10 inch tablet under 200 euro. I had bought the archos 101 g9 from argos, labelled the arnova g3, but the touchscreen was faulty so I took it back and got another one but that was also faulty and I got my money back. I was looking at this cnm one for 180 as well but im weary after the last ones.

I saw that one too. Thanks for the heads up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

That tablet is probably going to be bad, really bad. All those non branded tablets usually have really bad hardware, lag and just overall have a bad user experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

"Support for simultaneous display of multiple languages."..What!!!!

"2cm thin." But that's nearly an inch thick ????

Scary stuff.

Hogzy wrote: »
    That tablet is probably going to be bad, really bad. All those non branded tablets usually have really bad hardware, lag and just overall have a bad user experience.

That's what I'm afraid of, and why I was hoping to hear from someone that's used it.

I have an ipad myself and if budget allowed, that's what I'd get for the old man. He's not going to be interested in rooting or messing about with a tablet, I just want something he can use for emails, photos, browsing.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    "Support for simultaneous display of multiple languages."..What!!!!

"2cm thin." But that's nearly an inch thick ????

Scary stuff.

Scary, but not the first time argos got a description wrong. I could be wrong, but I doubt it's actually 2cm thick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Hogzy wrote: »

That was true about the early tablets particularly with resistive screens and slow processors but the newer ones with capacitive ips screens, and 1ghz plus processors and in particular those with Mali gpus are up to the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Might be an option...

An Archos 10 tablet with 8GB...
    There was a link from bargain alerts as well for that model. But I cant find it now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Scary, but not the first time argos got a description wrong. I could be wrong, but I doubt it's actually 2cm thick

Lol those cnm ones are about 5mm thick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dammer wrote: »
    Might be an option...

An Archos 10 tablet with 8GB...
    There was a link from bargain alerts as well for that model. But I cant find it now...

Thats the one I got in Argos for 180 euro, had to return 2 of them for the same touchscreen issue, ended up getting a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I got the cheaper 7" version of this a couple of months ago. It's my first Android device, so I have no basis for comparison. I would describe it as OK.

My main bugbear with it is that Internet access in particular is laggy: e.g. Gmail can take several minutes to check the mail and hogs the system as it does so. You get "<app> not responding" messages popping up, usually as the app starts responding again i.e. it's not the particular app that slows things down. It seems to have gotten better in recent weeks, without me doing anything special. Video playback is very good, as are the usual games.

One thing I discovered recently: it's rooted out of the box. I can launch Terminal and access the file tree from / on down.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Update on the CnM 7" tablet I mentioned in my previous post: the supplier released a new firmware image which (so far) solves the slowness problem I described. The image is named 20130104-A721, with Android 4.0.4. This is much more like what I was expecting. Multimedia performance was good before and still is.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement