Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tús (enforced voluntary work)

• 02-11-2011 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭

I received a letter from the SW office recently, "offering me an opportunity" to apply for a position on the Tús programme. Except it actually reads more like a threat than an offer of an opportunity:
    Your jobseeker's payment may be affected if:

a) you choose not to participate in this scheme;

b) you do not return this form by 04 November 2011

I'm just wondering if anybody else has received this "offer". And what exactly happens if you politely refuse - on the grounds that you're seeking a proper job, with proper pay, etc? Given that my chances of finding a job aren't great at the moment, will I be basically left penniless if I don't agree to participate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Play along as far as the interview. IE fill in all the forms (badly spelt etc) but get them back on time as they ask.

Then turn up to the inevitable interview dressed in a Rangers top covered in Guinness and ketchup stains, stinking of drink, slur your words and swear like a navvy all through the interview.

They won't bother you again.

Seriously, though, it's your bad luck to have been pulled out of the hat on this one. You have to respond, and they can withdraw your payments if you don't or if your response is 'thanks, but no thanks.' Then you have an appeal with all the concomitant arsing around and suspension of benefits. The clever route might be to return the form in a timely fashion then when the interview comes around find a solid reason to no-show (funeral?) or turn up and give the most unemployable interview of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

A few years back a friend of mine who was signing on was sent for a job interview by social welfare. At the interview he was asked why he had applied for the job. His honest answer... Cause the social welfare made me! He didn't get the job! Result!!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

RayM wrote: »
    I received a letter from the SW office recently, "offering me an opportunity" to apply for a position on the Tús programme. Except it actually reads more like a threat than an offer of an opportunity:

I'm just wondering if anybody else has received this "offer". And what exactly happens if you politely refuse - on the grounds that you're seeking a proper job, with proper pay, etc? Given that my chances of finding a job aren't great at the moment, will I be basically left penniless if I don't agree to participate?

Having been on the dole many times myself, id honestly say that I would take up the offer if only to get out of the house, meet people, and get into some kind of routine. Plus you never know what might come out of it. I dont understand your attitude to be honest. Your in receipt of a Jobseekers payment on the basis that your looking for, available for and fit for full-time work. You cant really decide what constitutes full time work. Anyway, if you feel so offended then refuse to go to the interview and when your payment ceases you can appeal etc and make your point part of your appeal. Personally, i would have more pride in myself then to go to any interview looking a mess. Its no skin off the interviewers nose if you dont get the post. Your not making a point or "sticking it to the man", or being clever or funny. your just making a fool of yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement