Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S3 Sudden Death

Options
  • 31-12-2012 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all,

My Galaxy S3 (not rooted, running Jelly Bean) decided to die on me. I would say 'suddenly', but in truth it had started to run slowly about two weeks prior to the handset shutting down. I assumed it was a bad app or low memory. The Friday just before Christmas, I was listening to music on it and it dies unexpectedly (battery at least half full) and wouldn't boot past the initial 'Samsung Galaxy S3' screen.

I did my research, and it looks as though this may be a widspread issue on the standard European handset (I9000), and there's very little that can be done to resolve it aside from sending the phone away. I'm dropping mine in for repair tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced any slowness or freezing on an S3 recently? A friend of mine told me that his had been running slowly recently and is now afraid he might be hit by the same issue.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1993044

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2012/12/21/some-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-owners-report-their-devices-are-suddenly-dying-likely-a-hardware-issue/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

touch.boards.ie/thread/2056838322?page=3#post_82397234

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

Hi all,

My Galaxy S3 (not rooted, running Jelly Bean) decided to die on me. I would say 'suddenly', but in truth it had started to run slowly about two weeks prior to the handset shutting down. I assumed it was a bad app or low memory. The Friday just before Christmas, I was listening to music on it and it dies unexpectedly (battery at least half full) and wouldn't boot past the initial 'Samsung Galaxy S3' screen.

I did my research, and it looks as though this may be a widspread issue on the standard European handset (I9000), and there's very little that can be done to resolve it aside from sending the phone away. I'm dropping mine in for repair tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced any slowness or freezing on an S3 recently? A friend of mine told me that his had been running slowly recently and is now afraid he might be hit by the same issue.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1993044

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2012/12/21/some-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-owners-report-their-devices-are-suddenly-dying-likely-a-hardware-issue/

ya mine does go through these slow patches alright. i usually just restart it and bobs your uncle. hopefully it stays that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

same prob here . died dec 15. waiting on samsung to send pack to send to to fonemenders as there isnt one near me. another user on vf forum wit same issue and.thats been sent for level 3 repair.
    samsung service is beyond appalling.
    obviously not an isolated issue then and come to think of it the phone was running slow but a reboot.used to help temporarily. phone purchased in july
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

fyi
    samsung gal s3 fb page.have reported an issue with memory leaks on i9000 series. between 100 to 200 days of use, leak causes motherboard failure. my phone was about 6 months...seems to fit the issue...
    wonder are fonemenders aware of this???

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

readmylips wrote: »
    same prob here . died dec 15. waiting on samsung to send pack to send to to fonemenders as there isnt one near me. another user on vf forum wit same issue and.thats been sent for level 3 repair.
    samsung service is beyond appalling.
    obviously not an isolated issue then and come to think of it the phone was running slow but a reboot.used to help temporarily. phone purchased in july
    :(
    My GS3 died this Monday after completely discharging (i presume) Bought last June, rooted - running Cyanogen 9. It will be interesting to see how this goes - took it back to my three store today to be sent away.I update when I get more news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

My GS3 died this Monday after completely discharging (i presume) Bought last June, rooted - running Cyanogen 9. It will be interesting to see how this goes - took it back to my three store today to be sent away.I update when I get more news.

i had mine rooted and with AOKP, no issues just dropped it into 3, you'll have it back in 4 or 5 work days

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

There was a bug found that was causing this sudden death issue. It was fixed for good in android 4.1.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There was a bug found that was causing this sudden death issue. It was fixed for good in android 4.1.2

According to Samsung, nobody on Xda believes this, time will tell...

Advertisement