Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confrontation!

Options
  • 14-02-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

new game mode seems all over the shop.

every high tier game yesterday against 'ze germans' had at least 10 wt tank destroyers!!

ridiculous! deffo needs to be adjusted.

played a tier 10 game and the enemey had 6 or 7 sti's.. that was tough

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Only had one game as it was turned on by default (German so zee Waffetragger!) vs. US (tons of T30s) which we won. Good game over all but I don't feel the balance is there yet at all tiers to make it fair and certain countries (France, UK) are a side I'd like to be on vs. Russia/Germany and partly US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

the 8.11 changes to tds were supposed to balance out the amount of them.. not a notion!

the idea is great, just needs to be balanced better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I was gonna make a thread on this mode myself. I was excited when it was announced and I still look forward to playing it but I've only played 3 or 4 battles of it so far.

It has some good points. It brings a bit of variety obviously. It also increases the chance of having similiar tanks as teammates. For example, I was playing T-54 and we had four or five other T-54s on the team so it was easy to create a wolfpack. It doesn't work like that on standard battles where you have different mediums who don't want to brawl (E-50, Leopard, Patton).

It also has some bad points and I've seen a few people doing major bitching about it. The main reason I think are the playstyles. Everyone knows the German tanks are considered "snipers" and alot of them are on many tiers and the new TDs especially have to stay back from the front line. The French tanks with their drum magazines need to co-ordination and focus fire to be effective. So it comes down to one thing, teamwork. If you're in a German team, you most likely will need to use range against the enemy but will your teammates listen? In a French team, you will need to time your attacks and rush in as one wave then retreating as you reload but will your teammates listen?

Overall it might become even more platoon reliant than even standard battles.

Regarding the balance, a new line is always going to be most popular especially when it's German TDs. You can't really adjust the balance for something like that and they're not going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I had one confrontation game, in my m12 arty. Our side had 7 or 8 T34's and a few T26E4. By and large the premium tank dudes looked like they just started playing yesterday, a few lemmings and all grouping together with no-one at all going one side.

The other team were almost all IS3's with a few T44's.

Utter carnage.

So, note to self, if playing american tier 7/8 _DO NOT_ have confrontation turned on

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

I tried 2 so far and won them both but I've turned it off as I could see how easily it would be to be demolished.
    In one of the games there were 5 of us in T71's and we all went together and went bat**** on a group of ISU152's. Autoloaders just took them apart like a swarm of bees.
    Much fun at the time though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've had two matches of this so far. And both went fairly normally. This were tiers 5 and 7 though. Each match had a good variety of tanks and seemed balanced.

I suspect it's at tier 8+ it become a nightmare due to the lack of variety within each nations later tanks, leading to daft things like 5 WT-E100s on a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

after having a match vs 14 hellcats and 1 arty we got destroyed

played a tier 5 game earlier, we had about 6 kv1s, they had a few stug iii's, we tore them apart

had a USSR vs USA tier 9 game yesterday, ridiculous! we had 10 obj 704's i think. they had about 3 t30s and 2 t95s and few heavies. the rest of our team was t54s who just spotted us for while we sniped..

the balance is just wrong at some tiers! had a game in my tiger p, we had about 9 tiger 1's, against the same number of IS's.

the IS's just tore the tigers apart.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

copeyhagen wrote: »

Good to see the Soviet design bureau were doing it right back in the 1940's.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

had a USSR vs USA tier 9 game yesterday, ridiculous! we had 10 obj 704's i think. they had about 3 t30s and 2 t95s and few heavies. the rest of our team was t54s who just spotted us for while we sniped..

the balance is just wrong at some tiers! had a game in my tiger p, we had about 9 tiger 1's, against the same number of IS's.

And that is exactly why I don't bother (along with the defence/attack team version, Assault is ok); randoms can be bad enough but add in randoms + one side being favoured? Sorry; not for me because the average skill level is not there for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Yet I had a tier 8 battle yesterday. USSR vs. Germany, IS-3s vs. Tiger IIs. Common perception would say our IS-3s should win easily but we lost.

I don't agree with the IS having an advantage over the Tiger. Like I said, it needs a bit of teamwork plus a brief knowledge of your tanks strengths.

my brother just told me he had a game yesterday, 13 STI's vs 14 m103s and 1 t95. they nearly whitewashed the americans

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

I must say though I love playing my Hellcat and got in a Battle with about 10 of them last night.... against 10 Russian TDs... that was fun

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭Drweavil

Had a T10 game the other day (before my internet problems became unbearable) French Vs. Germans. It was surprisingly close in the end. But yeah I think I'll be disabling that mode myself, 13 IS tanks vs, 13 Tigers doesn't work well when it comes to gameplay. Any fool can brawl in an IS, the Tiger takes a lot more skill.

anyone with funny screen shots post em up, i have a few at home ill post tonight

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Here's a curious one, it's the confrontation WR by tier:

ZoOYQz4.png

Surprisingly it's the US that seems OP, not the Russians. Though maybe their odd advantage in tier 1 is skewing the stats.

Originally posted on FTR: http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/02/21/national-battles-confrontation-winrate-by-nation/

Spear wrote: »
    Here's a curious one, it's the confrontation WR by tier:

ZoOYQz4.png

Surprisingly it's the US that seems OP, not the Russians. Though maybe their odd advantage in tier 1 is skewing the stats.

Originally posted on FTR: http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/02/21/national-battles-confrontation-winrate-by-nation/
    Well Tier 5/6/7 is Hellcat territory so that's quite explainable peak for US. Same way as Germany's tier 9/10 is E100 Waffenträggers has a clear peak and with the T57 and E4/E3 TD support and auto loading mediums at T9 there's a clear reason why US would still be strong at T9/T10 as well (but Waffen wins over T-57).

I'm not surprised that Sovjets perform so poorly; no auto loaders, poor new TDs (268 nerfed and 263 is meh) with the new mediums being more of a side grade move from the T-62A. Compare that to the T57, Waffenträgger etc. are all very strong for what they bring vs. what the trees had before. France being last at the top tier is once again no real surprise; they pack a great punch in the autoloaders but can't take the hits which you'll need to keep enough tanks alive long enough.

The real big surprise for me though is the UK line; I was not expecting them to perform that well esp. considering their abyssmal tier 10 heavy tank.

Advertisement