Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me some brilliant non fiction books

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

2 of my favourite books from the last few years:

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin - about Lincoln and his cabinet. Uh, the other politicians he worked with in government that is, as opposed to a piece of furniture he really liked.

The Better Angels of our Nature by Steven Pinker - fascinating look at how violence has declined over the years (contrary to what a lot of people think), and the reasons why this is. He's got some great books on psychology as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I enjoyed Team of Rivals up to the point that Lincoln becomes president, not quite so much after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've only read the first half of Team of Rivals but it was fantastic. Lincoln is one of the most interesting people dead or alive. As important as Chase and Seward were to the race and to the subsequent government, I felt some of their parts dragged in comparison to Lincoln's.

I've also read the first half of Bill Clinton's autobiography - My Life. His early life is fascinating. I loved reading about his college years. I wish more pages were devoted to it in the book, especially the time he spent as a Rhodes Scholar.

I bought First Man: The Life of Neil Armstrong a while back but have yet to get around to reading it. It says on the cover that it is the 'first authorised biography'. He was a very private man. I've heard good things about it.

I'm sure you can spot a pattern in my reading now, though. I buy and/or attempt to read 'heavy' books and it takes so long due to other commitments that I run out of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Mortality' by Christopher Hitchens

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Not usually a fan of war memoirs but "Quartered Safe Out Here" by George MacDonald Fraser was one of the best books I've ever read about WW2. I'd read his fiction (the Flashman series) but this was something altogether different. Never realized he'd served in Burma during the last year of the war, its definitely left his mark on him and explains his blunt way of writing.

I can't do it justice, him fighting in the last land campaign of the war as the sole Scot amongst a section of eccentric Cumbrian Borderers is just well worth a read. Its funny, poignant, brutal and entertaining in every regard. Even if war isn't a favourite topic, try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Life and death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng. One of many excellent memoirs about the cruelty of Mao's Cultural Revolution
    The naked island (1952) by Russell Braddon. Prisoner of war memoir. Worth tracking down.

Advertisement