Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail Cork-Dublin €39 day return

• 17-06-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_offers.jsp?i=4847
    We know Cork people don't like leaving their beautiful county but Iarnród Éireann have made it a whole lot easier with the introduction of special return fares.
    Adults can travel from Cork or Mallow to Dublin for €39 day return, while children can travel for €19.50 day return. These fares are available from the station after 09:00hrs on the day of travel.
    Dublin has plenty to see and do with lots of shops, restaurants, museums and attractions, so why not treat yourself to a day out, you never know, you might even enjoy yourself.
    Leave the hassle and stress of driving behind while you travel in comfort and style, customers can also avail of free wi-fi on board our services.
    Offer ends Sunday 14th July 2013.

A response to bus operators on the route....

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Might be attractive for some people but not for me, still over double the price of the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Indeed. A brutal response. Double the price with stipulation that you must travel back on the day. Swing and a miss Irish rail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Indeed. A brutal response. Double the price with stipulation that you must travel back on the day. Swing and a miss Irish rail

Thats what a day return is.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Thats what a day return is.

I've taken the liberty of thanking your post as i didn't realize what a day return was.

Anyway... Dublin-Cork is a long journey. 5-6 hours in a day spent just getting to and from it for double the price of an open return on the bus where you can actually spend some time in the city you are visiting.

Maybe this sentence makes more sense to you guys.

Point is Bus>Train in every sense, even when trains do this "offer".

No, that sentence doesnt make any sense.

It takes 2 and a half hours to go from Cork to Dublin with trains leaving every hour. It gives you plenty of time to visit Dublin.
    For €39 its good value considering the distance that you are travelling by train and what the original fare is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It cost me €48 to do less than half that journey return the other day, there a complete rip off, its cheaper take the car which completely misses the point of what public transport should be about.

It cost me €48 to do less than half that journey return the other day, there a complete rip off, its cheaper take the car which completely misses the point of what public transport should be about.

Finally someone who gets it.

Look, if you want to spend the extra €20-30+ on these "luxurious" trains with the added stipulation that you must return the same day, be my guest. Me, if i have that kind of money to throw around, i'm driving. The train would never come into it. If i want to be "comfortable" and paying same price, then car all the way. If i want value, i take the bus.

Good luck to you if you think that €40 is good value for public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

For €39 its good value considering the distance that you are travelling by train and what the original fare is.
    That's like saying a house is good value in 2013 because the same house cost double the amount in 2007, even though all the other houses in the area are also half the price they were in 2007. :confused:

You wont get to Cork and back for €39 in fuel.

murphaph wrote: »
    That's like saying a house is good value in 2013 because the same house cost double the amount in 2007, even though all the other houses in the area are also half the price they were in 2007. :confused:

No its not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

don't forget €7.60 in tolls, assuming you don't go around the M50.

Finally someone who gets it.

Look, if you want to spend the extra €20-30+ on these "luxurious" trains with the added stipulation that you must return the same day, be my guest. Me, if i have that kind of money to throw around, i'm driving. The train would never come into it. If i want to be "comfortable" and paying same price, then car all the way. If i want value, i take the bus.

Good luck to you if you think that €40 is good value for public transport.

Some wont be happy until its all free.

professore wrote: »
    don't forget €7.60 in tolls, assuming you don't go around the M50.

Plus parking charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Some cars will, and you definitely will for less than €78 if you bring someone else in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Your right you wont or in this case Cork to Dublin and back. For an individual the fare is probably attractive as the train is a different experience to the bus. Its obvious that the fare is aimed at people taking a recreational trip and on that basis its an okay discount. Looks like the earliest arrival in the City Centre would be about 12.30pm and opting for the 7pm return, it gives a decent 6 hours in Dublin with a decent hour arrival back in Cork.

I'm not convinced its an attractive enough price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I didn't go dublin cork, I only went less than half way, it was only 1 stop on the train and it cost €48 return, not to mention paying for the luas on top of it and having to get dropped back to the huston. The tain was about 1/4 full and i'm not surprised in the least. It's an utter rip off....
    Seen as I only went 1 stop I would have easily made the journey on €39 of fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I assume the €39 fare includes the City Centre connection?

I didn't go dublin cork, I only went less than half way, it was only 1 stop on the train and it cost €48 return, not to mention paying for the luas on top of it and having to get dropped back to the huston. The tain was about 1/4 full and i'm not surprised in the least. It's an utter rip off....
    Seen as I only went 1 stop I would have easily made the journey on €39 of fuel.

How is it a rip off when you had the choice to pay it or not along with other travel options? Where you forced to pay it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

I think it's an interesting response to Bus Competition by IE.

If they didn't reduce the fare some people here would be complaining about how expensive it is.

If the fare reduction was too much, and couldn't cover the cost, others would be complaining about how much of a subsidy IE need.

serfboard wrote: »
    I think it's an interesting response to Bus Competition by IE.

If they didn't reduce the fare some people here would be complaining about how expensive it is.

If the fare reduction was too much, and couldn't cover the cost, others would be complaining about how much of a subsidy IE need.

Step in the right direction yes, but for Joe Soap who's worried about own bottom line, the cheapest option (especially if Direct) is going to come up trumps.

I'm more than happy to have train lovers subsidize the costs; personally I don't see the big whoop that makes people willing to part with their hard earned on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm more than happy to have train lovers subsidize the costs; personally I don't see the big whoop that makes people willing to part with their hard earned on them.

Each to their own, some people prefer train travel over sitting two hours in a small steel or aluminium box. I think it's easy to understand both parties, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Plus your adding 100s of kms in one return journey to its mileage speeding up the depreciation of the car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

interesting that there is no bus competition from Mallow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

9.99 fares back on selected Cork services.

http://www.irishrail.ie/999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I fail to see why people have to constantly descend into coach -v- train arguments when promotions are offered by an operator.

As I've said before, there is plenty of room for both - some people prefer the train and others the coach.

But constantly descending into petty arguments is doing no one nor this board any good.

This is a promotional day return fare, like the one offered last summer, and the summer before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Great prices, checked up for july 4 get to go 19.99 to cork and 9.99 back to dublin, happy camper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

That's more like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a step in the right direction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

n97 mini wrote: »
    Some cars will, and you definitely will for less than €78 if you bring someone else in the car.

I wouldn't go any more than two in a 97 Mini. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

The cynic in me is thinking: "So some of the trains are back to the price they were two years ago, and we your humble passengers are supposed to jump for joy? What fantastic progress altogether :rolleyes:"

Being serious though, IÉ need to market the hell out of this fare, and it needs to be the norm from now on, I don't like the fact that IÉ use the words "limited time only" to describe this fare. Personally speaking, if I can book in advance, and the fare is available I'll certainly be using the train instead of the bus for my next Cork trip.

Advertisement