Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

similar to The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

Options
  • 14-04-2013 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

I am hoping someone in here could assist with my request:

I have just finished reading 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' and it was such an emotional, touching, pull-at-the-heart-strings book and I'm looking for another similar, if possible.

This book won't be replaced in terms of sentimentality for me; but hoping someone can recommend similar - that would be lovely :)

For anyone who hasn't read this book:
    Harold is a timid man in his later years who discovers that a former friend and colleague is seriously ill. He sets out with the intention of posting her a letter but instead embarks on 600-mile walk from Devon to Berwick-upon-Tweed. Though he is trying to save himself from the "slough of despond" into which his own life has sunk, he ends up encountering varying characters en route who each bring their own element to his fascinating journey. A low note of hope also threads through the writing, building slowly and continues throughout.

It's just an appealing, sentimental story about it never being too late to right a wrong and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Many Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Not a book but the David Lynch film "The Straight Story" relates a very similar, and true story about a WW2 vet called Alvin Straight in his 70s who sets out on a journey from Iowa to Wisconsin to visit his ill brother who he hasn't seen in years. He makes the trip on a small tractor/lawnmower and just like the book you describe, he has all sorts of interesting encounters along the way. It's a warm, wonderful film with a great central performance from Richard Farnsworth in his final role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

The Book Thief

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

chasmcb wrote: »
    Not a book but the David Lynch film "The Straight Story" relates a very similar, and true story about a WW2 vet called Alvin Straight in his 70s who sets out on a journey from Iowa to Wisconsin to visit his ill brother who he hasn't seen in years. He makes the trip on a small tractor/lawnmower and just like the book you describe, he has all sorts of interesting encounters along the way. It's a warm, wonderful film with a great central performance from Richard Farnsworth in his final role.
    ThirdMan wrote: »
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.
    CeannRua wrote: »
    The Book Thief

I normally prefer books for instances like this so I can savour and take my time when I do find something I seriously enjoy :o

I have purchased the movie and the two books recommended here though and looking forward to each.

Many Thanks :)
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

That book does sound remarkably similar to The Straight Story, that is a brilliant movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I am hoping someone in here could assist with my request:

I have just finished reading 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' and it was such an emotional, touching, pull-at-the-heart-strings book and I'm looking for another similar, if possible.

This book won't be replaced in terms of sentimentality for me; but hoping someone can recommend similar - that would be lovely :)

Harold is a timid man in his later years who discovers that a former friend and colleague is seriously ill. He sets out with the intention of posting her a letter but instead embarks on 600-mile walk from Devon to Berwick-upon-Tweed. Though he is trying to save himself from the "slough of despond" into which his own life has sunk, he ends up encountering varying characters en route who each bring their own element to his fascinating journey. A low note of hope also threads through the writing, building slowly and continues throughout.

It's just an appealing, sentimental story about it never being too late to right a wrong and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Many Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

I realize this is an old post but you should see the movie 'Away From Her'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_from_Her

I realize this is an old post but you should see the movie 'Away From Her'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_from_Her

No, if you have more suggestions please send them my way! I've re-read the books mentioned in here and re-watched the movie (every time a damn tear appears from watching it) and still looking for more of similar!

I'll buy that movie on amazon today.

Cheers for your suggestion,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

kerry4sam wrote: »

I haven't read either book or seen either film but the above passage made me think of "The Way" with Martin Sheen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/

It's based on the book "Off The Road" by Jack Hitt.

Aenaes wrote: »
    I haven't read either book or seen either film but the above passage made me think of "The Way" with Martin Sheen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/

It's based on the book "Off The Road" by Jack Hitt.

I've just purchased those two also from amazon. Hopefully the reviews will do them justice.

Cheers for your suggestions also,
    kerry4sam

THE WAY

Beautiful. Simply Beautiful.

Thanking You,
    kerry4sam

/If you're watching this movie & are anything like me, you'll be thankful for some kleenex near you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement