Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to move to UK?

• 02-04-2013 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Im moving to UK soon and have no idea how to send all my stuff there. It will be around 300kg so a lot. Do you know any cheap courier? Or just rent a van and drive there? Can I take van abroad?

What do you think? I dont want spend a lot money. I dont have a lots of money! :(

Help please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive used these guys in the past to transport large car parts for me.

Price was very affordable.

http://www.paisleyfreight.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ksia

Thanks! 300kg for 230pounds. :) not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ksia wrote: »
    Im moving to UK soon and have no idea how to send all my stuff there.
    It will be around 300kg so a lot. Do you know any cheap courier? Or just rent a van and drive there? Can I take van abroad?

What do you think? I dont want spend a lot money. I dont have a lots of money! :(

Help please

The UK = Northern Ireland, Scotland, England & Wales, The Hebridies, Isle of Wight maybe?

Where abouts, and how far into the UK are you going?

I guess the removal costs will be vary greatly depending on what part/regfion you travel to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

LordSutch wrote: »
    The UK = Northern Ireland, Scotland, England & Wales, The Hebridies, Isle of Wight maybe?

Where abouts, and how far into the UK are you going?

I guess the removal costs will be vary greatly depending on what part/regfion you travel to.

You forgot the Orkney and Shetland Islands.

The OP is sorted, he got a quote that he's happy with, case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

do what my daughter did, dead cheap service and friendly too

she got her Dad to do it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Poster55

Im moving to UK soon and have no idea how to send all my stuff there. It will be around 300kg so a lot. Do you know any cheap courier? Or just rent a van and drive there? Can I take van abroad?

Help please

Just wondering, did you take van abroad ? if so how did it work out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ksia

Poster55 wrote: »
    Just wondering, did you take van abroad ? if so how did it work out ?

I didnt but i would take it now!

I send half by courier and asked friend to bring another half by car.

Now i know i would take van. Less hassle

I didnt but i would take it now!

I send half by courier and asked friend to bring another half by car.

Now i know i would take van. Less hassle

Thanks. A van would be too small for us, we need at least a 7.5 ton truck I am told. I have put a feeler out another thread and I got 2 leads.

1.is €1700 from a van guy on boards for a regular transit van ( not a Luton)

2. is coming tomorrow ( also on boards ) to view the load, will also take our pets and possibly our second car as well. Have to hear price first in case it's too expensive.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Thanks. A van would be too small for us, we need at least a 7.5 ton truck I am told. I have put a feeler out another thread and I got 2 leads.

1.is €1700 from a van guy on boards for a regular transit van ( not a Luton)

2. is coming tomorrow ( also on boards ) to view the load, will also take our pets and possibly our second car as well. Have to hear price first in case it's too expensive.

Thanks again.
    When we moved form Dublin to the UK we hired a 7.5 tonne truck and I drove it over. I am pretty sure the that cost less than €1700. Do you have class C1 on your licence? It used to be on by default, which is how I have it, bit they stopped putting it on a few years ago.

Pretty scary thing to drive, but you soon get used to it. And they charge you by the foot on the ferry, but it is not obnoxiously expensive and you get access to the trucker's lounge.

EDIT: Just did a quick check. A truck from here:

http://www.vanrentals.ie/van-hire-details.asp?P_ID=205 is about €400 for the weekend and it would be €380 (each way) to take it on Irish Ferries Dublin to Holyhead. When you include fuel still probably cheaper than the price you were quoted for a van which would not take all your stuff.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    When we moved form Dublin to the UK we hired a 7.5 tonne truck and I drove it over. I am pretty sure the that cost less than €1700. Do you have class C1 on your licence? It used to be on by default, which is how I have it, bit they stopped putting it on a few years ago.

Pretty scary thing to drive, but you soon get used to it. And they charge you by the foot on the ferry, but it is not obnoxiously expensive and you get access to the trucker's lounge.

EDIT: Just did a quick check. A truck from here:

http://www.vanrentals.ie/van-hire-details.asp?P_ID=205 is about €400 for the weekend and it would be €380 (each way) to take it on Irish Ferries Dublin to Holyhead. When you include fuel still probably cheaper than the price you were quoted for a van which would not take all your stuff.

MrP

Hi,

Thanks for the insight and time you took to post. I got sorted in the meantime. I went with an Irish crowd. They are mainly a furniture shop and have substantial positive feedback on here but took a while to find out about their removal business but from the homework that I have done, it all appears positive also. They are called www. Bigmickey.ie , they will take my stuff, our pets and our second car from Dublin to Luton for €1750. It's a good deal compared to the €3500 and €4000 that I was quoted from others without the car. I have a good feeling about Mickey & co. Fingers crossed. I will report back when move is complete.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Hi,

Thanks for the insight and time you took to post. I got sorted in the meantime. I went with an Irish crowd. They are mainly a furniture shop and have substantial positive feedback on here but took a while to find out about their removal business but from the homework that I have done, it all appears positive also. They are called www. Bigmickey.ie , they will take my stuff, our pets and our second car from Dublin to Luton for €1750. It's a good deal compared to the €3500 and €4000 that I was quoted from others without the car. I have a good feeling about Mickey & co. Fingers crossed. I will report back when move is complete.
    Thanks again
    Big Mickey? Awesome name!

Will you be living in Luton? Working there?

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    Big Mickey? Awesome name!

Will you be living in Luton? Working there?

MrP

Hi Mr Pudding

Sorry for delay in replying to you, I was away getting some sun on my back. We will be living near Luton but I am retired now so no major work for me. Herself is originally from there so she wants to move back. Thanks for your advice.

The bigmickey name is one that you would not forget in a hurry all right.

Advertisement