Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meltwater.

Options
  • 05-02-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

3256426158_544fe178b6.jpg

and

3255600069_659af473a5.jpg

and

3256438890_2c14d7934e.jpg

These were all taken near where I live. They are melting little icicles in most cases (except one bit of ice stuck in a plant with all that bokeh. I didn't get to bring my camera to work today - didn't think it would snow, so was limited to what was still around when I got home this evening.

The orange circle in the background is a street lamp, and yes, I know there's a spec on one of them. I didn't see it when I was processing but I assume it's on the front of the lens.

I didn't expect to get anything quite like these without a lot of effort involving little droppers, food dye and a massive mess in the kitchen. So I'm quite surprised with them.

The flash is probably a little overly harsh - I'm still not on top of shooting with it anyway as I've done predominantly daylight stuff - but other than that I like them.

There are six in total - the others are here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

Love the first one - thanks for adding the technical data

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

First one is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Loving the 1st one !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Really nice... I love the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Well aren't you a clever clogs....The first one is a diamond, absolutely stunning...l would buy that print for sure....are you selling Calina, lt would be a fantastic reminder of The Great Freeze of 2009...
    PM me, l'll have a copy...:):)

Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

#1 is kinda special !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

l pearse wrote: »
    Well aren't you a clever clogs....The first one is a diamond, absolutely stunning...l would buy that print for sure....are you selling Calina, lt would be a fantastic reminder of The Great Freeze of 2009...
    PM me, l'll have a copy...:):)

Linda

Linda,

tell you what. I haven't sent files to Steve yet for the exhibition - obviously when I did the selection that shot didn't exist. I'll replace one with that and at the end of the exhibition or of it's not selected, it's yours. In return I'd like it if you would make a donation to either the RNLI or Kerry Mountain Rescue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Ditto! The first is class! Can't really make out what the second one is tho' and the third suffers because of the first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Calina
    Sounds perfect, Thank you.
    Is that the exhibition in the DCC ? and do you have a date, l would like to drop by & have a peek....:D

God I need to check the dates again but it's roughly March 19 to April 21st as far as I remember,

You'd think the dates would be etched out on my arms at this stage.

@Danny: second one was a lump of ice on top of one of the paltry few shrubs we have here. I was desperate, I tell you, desperate for photography subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I hate you, but only because I'm very very jealous. You have no idea how many times I've soaked my kitchen without ever getting that kind of shot :(

You have no idea how many times I almost fell backwards down the concrete stairs outside my apartment this evening. :pac:;)

I think this is one of those photos that you - or I - will look at and think "I'll never be able to produce something quite that special ever again".

which is bad defeatist talk and I need chocolate. I don't have any chocolate and I am not going out again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

While its somewhat abstract, I quite like #3. Technically maybe not as perfect as #1 and suffers a little from lack of 'pop' compared to #1 but i like the perspective on it. #1 - to me - is very flat on, centered and conventional whilst #3 is different and non conventional but nice proportions and angles.

Meh - I see that i'm a lone voice on that one so #1 is great - all the way :rolleyes: (but #3 is really my choice ;) )

Lovely shooting anyhow Calina.

EDIT: I didn't mention the imperfections of #3 but I think you already referenced them above. Again, they add something in a strange kind of way. Boy but my tastes/interests are changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Mention the name TL to anybody to do with the Swords Club and they go 'ooooh she does some great work and has an amazing eye' !

Yet again she pulls it off. In your words 'I didn't expect to get anything quite like these without a lot of effort', in mine 'that girls got talent'. Simple composure like putting the street light into the background with a shallow DOF to add colour with the black of night then lighting the icicle with a burst of flash. That shows talent with an eye for the beauty and simplicity that can take a photo from mundane into a piece of art.

The artistic beauty behind the jem stone on a crafted perch of black beauty is a wonderful capture. Turning a piece of snow on a leaf into work of art.

Once again Calina - well done, thank you for sharing your talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Mention the name TL to anybody to do with the Swords Club and they go 'ooooh she does some great work and has an amazing eye' !

Yet again she pulls it off. In your words 'I didn't expect to get anything quite like these without a lot of effort', in mine 'that girls got talent'. Simple composure like putting the street light into the background with a shallow DOF to add colour with the black of night then lighting the icicle with a burst of flash. That shows talent with an eye for the beauty and simplicity that can take a photo from mundane into a piece of art.

The artistic beauty behind the jem stone on a crafted perch of black beauty is a wonderful capture. Turning a piece of snow on a leaf into work of art.

Once again Calina - well done, thank you for sharing your talent.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Just to echo again, love the first one, really stunning capture.

Also wasn't sure what was happening in number 2, but having read what you wrote below I realised it was a little clump of snow caught on a plant. Would it maybe be better if you could bring out the plant a little better to make it clearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

super set Calina. loving the first one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

no 1 is something very special

Advertisement