Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watered down Vodka in well known Dub City Centre pub

Options
  • 19-12-2008 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Who can i lodge a complaint with as this dove me f-in mad after i bought 7 vodka and mixer and was still as sobber as i would be if i had 1... (and i'm a light weight) Never going back to the f-in place as the drinks are well over priced and now this utter BS of watered down vodka. I was not the only one who noticed this on the night in question and not the only one who had mentioned it to the bar staff at the end of the night...

:mad: ...no problem naming the place as well...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

squeeba wrote: »
    i bought 7 vodka and mixer and was still as sobber as i would be if i had 1
    Seven vodkas and still sober enough to rant to a bunch of strangers on the Internet. I'd be livid...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Name and shame!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Make a complaint to the pub owner and the LVA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Naming and shaming could get boards into trouble so I wouldn't do it as publicans can be very litigenous (sp?) when it comes to reputations of their bars.

Rather than the LVA you'd be better contacting the 'weights and measures' section of Dublin corpo who will check it out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Did you by any chance have something to eat before you had your seven vodkas? Maybe a nice meal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Rather than the LVA you'd be better contacting the 'weights and measures' section of Dublin corpo who will check it out !

Yep, the weights and measures have some strong legal power to shut the premises down, the LVA is just a trade association/lobby group to promote the interests of publicans'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Unfortunatly this is becoming a more common pratice within the bar trade as hard pressed publicans try to keep their business afloat.

Highsider wrote: »
    Unfortunatly this is becoming a more common pratice within the bar trade as hard pressed publicans try to keep their business afloat.

Then people should pass on the names to the Garda or weights and measures in Dublin corporation for investigation/prosecution at the end of the day it stealing from the consumer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

No naming and shaming here as it's not proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No naming and shaming here as it's not proven.

Also is it really illegal/against rules?, they could well have given you a full 35.5ml shot of 10% vodka. AFAIK there is no legal definition of how strong it must be.

If you simply asked for "vodka", then shame on you! never understand that, when the same people would never ask for "beer".

I think the purty were doing low % vodka in some promotion, now they didnt should about it being low %,
    The Purty Kitchen

16 April 2008

COMPLAINANT
    Member of the public

COMPLAINT SUMMARY

The complainant has alleged that the drinks promotion undertaken at The Purty Kitchen on the 28 November, 2007 encouraged illegal or irresponsible drinking. The complainant has stated that the promotion claimed to sell and make available the following:

€2 drinks
    Double Vodka and red bull for €5.50
    Mulled wine and Santa helpers with vodka supersoakers
    COMPANY

The Purty Kitchen,
    34/35 East Essex Street,
    Temple Bar
    Dublin 2

DECISION

Under Code paragraph 3.2 (f): Upheld.

The Panel noted MEAS Code paragraph 3.2 (f) which states

“3.2 A drink, its packaging and any promotional material or activity (as defined in section 2 Annex 1) must not in any direct or indirect way:

(f) encourage illegal, irresponsible or immoderate consumption, such as binge-drinking, drunkenness or drink-driving;”

The Panel also noted the MEAS Guidance Notes on Point of Sale Promotions and Materials and Serving of Multiple Drinks state that

“….promotions… identified and agreed to be those that should not be run as they are either unlawful, or entail a disproportionate risk that they will lead directly to alcohol misuse and anti-social behaviour” include

“Drinking Games - these tend to encourage either rapid drinking or the drinking of large quantities of alcohol and therefore should not be run” and

“Promotions that involve free drinks or reduced price drinks for a limited period of a day.”

The Panel reviewed correspondence received from The Purty Kitchen represenetative and a copy of a poster promoting the “Ents Christmas Party” on the 28 November, 2007.

The Panel reviewed the poster advertising The Purty Kitchen “Ents Christmas Party”. The poster included a picture of a girl in a black dress and Santa hat, standing with her arm around Santa Claus who is smoking a cigarette. Towards the bottom of the poster the words “Mulled wine, Santa’s helpers with vodka supersoakers! €2 drinks! double vodka red bull €5.50” are printed.

The Panel noted the points made by The Purty Kitchen representative – “that the double vodka and red bull offer was run using a vodka substitute named Vodkova. It has a similar taste but far lower alcohol content than actual vodka”; that the €2 drinks were on one drink brand only as a form of sponsorship, and not on a variety of products or brands; that the Santa helpers with supersoakers used on the night were provided by the organisers of the event; and that The Purty Kitchen did not provide alcohol for this use and were not responsible as the event was run by an outside promoter.

The Panel reviewed the advertisement as it related to the double vodka and red bull promotion. They considered the point made regarding the substitution of Vodkova for vodka, and concluded that customers would make decisions on the basis of the actual advertisement. The advertisement stated, for example, that vodka as opposed to Vodkova would be used; this misrepresentation would lead customers to believe they would be purchasing standard vodka.

The Panel noted that a supersoaker was a water pistol in the shape of a machine gun and was filled with vodka, which would be squirted from the gun into the mouths of patrons. The Panel concluded that this was a drinking game which clearly fell within the category of irresponsible promotions identified in the MEAS Guidance Notes on Point of Sale Promotions and Materials and Serving of Multiple Drinks.

The Panel discussed the sale of double vodka and red bull for €5.50 and concluded that this element of the promotion, consisting of multiple servings of alcohol was likely, in combination with the other elements of the promotion advertised, to encourage excessive drinking

The Panel noted the statement from the The Purty Kitchen representative that the event was not run by The Purty Kitchen but was run by an outside promoter.

The Panel noted that the licensee, The Purty Kitchen, has the ability to impose conditions on any third party it rents its premises or part thereof to, or permits to organise and promote an event on its premises.

The Panel noted that the license holder is the party required to adhere to the Liquor Licensing Laws and retains that responsibility, irrespective of any arrangements involving third parties on or in relation to the premises for which the license is granted. While the MEAS Code is a voluntary code the Panel considered it reasonable that the same standard of responsibility should prevail as applies to the licensee under the Liquor Licensing laws.

The Panel concluded that the promotion considered in the paragraphs above clearly fell within the category of promotions identified in the MEAS Guidance Notes and agreed to be those that should not be run as ‘they entail a disproportionate risk that they will lead directly to alcohol misuse and anti-social behaviour’. The promotion therefore breached Code paragraph 3.2 (f).
    http://www.meas.ie/page.php?intPageID=508

Maybe this Vodkova was in fact just high % "sugar wine" filtered through charcoal to make it taste neutral. You can buy "vodka" homebrew kits to brew to 20%+, in which case it is dodgy, but I would have thought weak vodka is fine. Unless it was passed off in a smirnoff bottle maybe. But you can readily by lower % spirits.

Also do you usually drink vodka? 7 shots of smirnoff has only the same alcohol as 3.1pints of erdinger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    AFAIK there is no legal definition of how strong it must be.
    1.2% ABV is where the exciseman starts to take notice.

Ouch. The vodka and mixers were probably about 8+ quid each too. You could have gotten a nagan for a 5er in the off license..

Also is it really illegal/against rules?, they could well have given you a full 35.5ml shot of 10% vodka. AFAIK there is no legal definition of how strong it must be.

It's not permitted to name this bar here, the OP is asserting that the vodka is/was watered down [thread title]. Hence I don't want unproven allegations of illegal activity here as it would leave boards open to liable. A low % vodka is not what is being discussed.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Does MEAS have any legal remit or is it just an umbrella group for the drinks industry?

Anyway the op had asked for vodka, and should get what they asked for and paid for and not a water downed version. They did not appear to be interested in the advertisement to the consumer or they are not getting what the expected.

It's not permitted to name this bar here, the OP is asserting that the vodka is/was watered down [thread title]. Hence I don't want unproven allegations of illegal activity here as it would leave boards open to liable. A low % vodka is not what is being discussed.
    Sorry, I meant was the bar breaking the law or some sort of vitner rules (if not an actual law), not boards rules, which I understand. I should have picked a better quote, I see how you read it now.

No plobs at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

You should ask for it in shots, I bet they have 2 bottles, and will not use diluted if in shots, it would be far more noticeable.

Advertisement