Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes a poem a poem?

• 10-04-2014 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I'm reading Heaney's translation of Beowulf at the moment, and if it was written in normal paragraphs it would be all the same to me. I have a 'prose poetry' of the The Illiad at home somewhere, but to me it reads the exact same as any of the 'verse' translations that I've read. I suppose in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. The important thing is to enjoy them, but I'm just curious as to what exactly is going on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

What differentiates the poetic from the prosaic! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

For me, a poem is a poem when the writer strives to say as much as possible in as few words as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

SamAK wrote: »
    For me, a poem is a poem when the writer strives to say as much as possible in as few words as possible.

That's actually a good definition.

Advertisement