Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books connected to Galway ?

Options
  • 17-12-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi does anyone know if there's any good book out about galway or any Galway conections, usually there's one or two out at Christmas but haven't heard of any this year . Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ken Bruen books take place in Galway; "The Guards" and so on.
    I think "Star of the Sea" by Joseph O'Connor touches on Galway.
    "The Rogue's March: John Riley and the St. Patrick's Battalion, 1846-48" is about John Riley from Clifden but is about the Mexican-US war.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭puddles59

Thanks Biko will check them out.Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I think I heard of an anthology out recently called 'Galway Stories'.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

ivytwine wrote: »
    I think I heard of an anthology out recently called 'Galway Stories'.

'Galway Stories' published by Doire Press and edited by Lisa Frank. Twenty short stories all set in and around Galway, it's a good mix.

Another anthology just published is 'Over The Edge' edited by Susan Millar du Mars which comprises poetry and short stories and features work by writers who have read at the monthly 'Over the Edge' events in Galway over the past ten years.

John Cunningham published a history of Galway a couple of years ago, 'A Town Tormented by the Sea'.

There are quite a few fiction and poetry books currently available by Galway-based writers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Walter Macken's books if you like historical fiction. If you are looking for a children's book The Hounds of the Morrigan starts off in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 132 ✭✭Banneret

Hi,

I would also like to know of anything books related in Galway,

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

chasmcb wrote: »
    'Galway Stories' published by Doire Press and edited by Lisa Frank. Twenty short stories all set in and around Galway, it's a good mix.

It is a great book. I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There was one called Juno and Juliet by Juilian Gough. Someone bought it in Charlie Byrnes recently and gave it to me. It was set in NUIG in the 80s I think. I didn't think it was a good read but recognised some of the building in NUIG even though the book is set in the past.
    Oh tower block 2!

Off topic but theres a great fb on Galway past here if you're interested : https://www.facebook.com/galway.memories?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

One of the two main characters in Michel Houellebecq's Atomised ends up living and working in Galway. Consequently, a small part of the book takes place there.

Advertisement