Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative History Nazis

Options
  • 26-03-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Can anyone recommend any alternative history books in which the Nazis won the war. I have read Fatherland by Robert Harris

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Can anyone recommend any alternative history books in which the Nazis won the war. I have read Fatherland by Robert Harris

Thanks

The Man in the High Castle by Phillip K Dick is a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

It's not an alternative history where the Nazis won, but you might be interested in The Separation by Christopher Priest (author of The Prestige) in which the Nazis signed a peace treaty with the allies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

SS-GB by Len Deighton. He's a good war, thriller and espionage writer. The story takes place in Britain with a resistance movement trying to tackle the Nazis after the occupation.

Dominion by C J Sansom is another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Fatherland by Robert Harris is excellent. The Nazis have "won" the Second World War. The point of divergence from history appears to be that Reinhard Heydrich survived his assassination in the Czech Republic. After that, the Nazis succeed in Russia, but are now engaged in an endless forever-war with Russian guerillas and partisans. The new Cold War is between the Greater German Reich that extends across Eurasia and the United States.

It is an excellent novel and well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

DazMarz wrote: »
    Fatherland by Robert Harris is excellent. The Nazis have "won" the Second World War. The point of divergence from history appears to be that Reinhard Heydrich survived his assassination in the Czech Republic. After that, the Nazis succeed in Russia, but are now engaged in an endless forever-war with Russian guerillas and partisans. The new Cold War is between the Greater German Reich that extends across Eurasia and the United States.

OP has read it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

If going down a SciFi vein, the works of Harry Turtledove. The one I'd recommend is"In the presence of mine enemies" - the storyline is that it is ~ 1990, the Nazis dominate Europe after their victory and the main characters are a hidden family of Jews that managed to survive in Berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I like Dominion by CS Samson.
    Basically, instead of declaring war on Germany after the invasion of Poland, Britain capitulates. The book is set in an imaginary 1952. Very interesing take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Aenaes wrote: »
    OP has read it.

Whoops.... :o

That's what I get for replying without reading the OP properly... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭boccy23

I just bought Farewell Leicester Square by John Kilkade. Cheap (£0.77) but looks like a good WWII read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

Aenaes wrote: »
    SS-GB by Len Deighton. He's a good war, thriller and espionage writer. The story takes place in Britain with a resistance movement trying to tackle the Nazis after the occupation.

Was going to recommend that. Many years since I read it, but was good from what I remember. If you're "into" Nazis then Deightons masterpiece is a novel called Winter. The story of the rise of the Nazis told through the tale of two brothers in Berlin. I'd highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I read a trilogy a few years back titled 'Axis of Time', in which a 2021 battle fleet get transported back to 1942 with obvious effects on WWII. The first of the three, 'Weapons of Choice', would probably be the best, but still an interesting read once you get past the whole time travel thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

DazMarz wrote: »

I didn't like it. Thought it was quite
    dull.
    Maybe the good reviews made me expect better.

Advertisement