Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Tallaght or IADT??

Options
  • 11-07-2013 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there. Looking for a completely honest answer here so please no answers that are biased towards one college.

I've been accepted for a Level 8 Creative Digital Media course in IT Tallaght, and also for a course in DFEI called Audio Visual Media, where I can progress on to study Audio Visual Media in IADT.

One friend told me that IADT is more respected than IT Tallaght and has a better name than it e.g. it was in a list of the Top 50 Arts colleges in Europe and therefore I should definately go to IADT.
    Now today another friend has told me that because IT Tallaght and IADT are both institutes, having a degree from either college will look equally as good as each other to a future employer.

The CAO deadline is later today and I'm not really sure which college to accept. Is there much of a difference in opinion between these two colleges to employers? Please be honest. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Hiya Bobmaster.

Which one did you go for in the end? I am applying for 2014 to both 'Creative Digital Media' in IT Tallaght and 'Audio Visual Media Technology' in IADT (but I'm a bit put off by the emphasis on maths/electronics in that one).

Did you go to Tallaght or did you do the preparatory one in DFEI….. and how are you getting on so far in your choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I only saw this thread now and I know it's too late for bob but here's my answer. A friend of mine is doing the CDM course in Tallaght IT and I was talking to them recently about how it was going. From what they said the facilities and some of the programmes and computer software they use in TIT is way behind what the industry standard use. My friend was talking to someone from another college and they couldn't believe the equiptment they were using. Also there were complaints from this friend about some of the lecturers on the course in TIT. There was an article in the local paper recently about how little money the college has so I wouldn't hold my breath for updating of any of the above any time soon. This article suggested that the college has lost over 20 lecturers in the last two years with a corresponding increase in student numbers of 17%. This would suggest that things are getting worse in the college and will continue to do so in the future.
    I would take this as a clear sign to steer well clear of Tallaght IT.

From what they said the facilities and some of the programmes and computer software they use in TIT is way behind what the industry standard use. My friend was talking to someone from another college and they couldn't believe the equiptment they were using.

Any idea what college course your friend's friend was in?

Thanks for the advice. Still like the course though. I've heard good things, till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Sorry, I don't know what college they were in. Glad you're enjoying it, just passing on what I heard. Good luck

I'm not in it yet. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 bobmaster

I put up that thread a long time back, before I knew much about colleges at all. IADT is definately the clear winner between the two colleges, if you have a choice between the two.

Thanks for that, Bobmaster. I know IADT is a great college but how difficult is the Audio Visual Media course there? I am far from brilliant at maths and I have no background in electronics besides haphazardly soldering a few things here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭smur89

I graduated from the IADT course some years ago and was not impressed with it. I'm now in ITT studying something unrelated and I've no experience of the ITT course, but some friends have done it and from what they talk about it, it sounds like it might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I'm in the creative digital media course.

In regards to saying that the software is behind the times we are using, in multimedia, quad core computers running 3d animation software, 64 bit cs6 from adobe and in regards to video we use final cut 7 on mac pro machines.

In terms of the cameras that you use for video from first to third year these are basic mini dv tape cameras. You learn how to import from tape and edit that way. In fourth year you move onto the 5d mk3 and get to do all your video on that.

In regards to saying that the staff are incompetent, in the past 4 years there I have had very few classes that I haven't learned something valuable from about the media industry or in regards to the practicality teaching it has thought me a lot in regards to hands on experience.

This is a media course where you're going to learn, on the practical side, radio, audio editing, video, tv studio production, graphic design, website design, animation, 3d animation, video editing, photography and on the theory side of things you will learn about advertising, media law, enterprise development, professional development, media studies and to be honest it is worth it.

Advertisement