Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A bit of courtesy

• 09-09-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Parked up this evening waiting for a friend, when a woman parked in alongside me. No bothers there, only two available spaces were on either side of me.
    Until she exited her vehicle, giving mine a generous thump with her door. Enough of a bang that I noticed my van rocking with the force of it before the noise registered with me.
    Usually I wouldn't begrudge anyone a minor mistake such as this, but she kept her head down and did a fair impression of usain bolt out of the car park, even waiting until she was well out of sight before locking her car.

My question is, has courtesy disappeared altogether from motoring??

I didn't expect a grovelling plea for forgiveness, just a quick glance by way of apology, or a small wave or something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Inconsiderate scum have been around as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

"I have taken your mirrors in lieu of an apology.
    Regards, the man in the vannnnnn"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

To some people their car is a block of metal, bangs, dents, bits missing doesn't matter to them, they don't care about your car or theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

To some people their car is a block of metal, bangs, dents, bits missing doesn't matter to them, they don't care about your car or theirs.

I understand that, and tbh honest I wouldn't mind that as much.
    What pissed me off was how she knew she was wrong, and took off at a gallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I'd have taken her insurance details and some photos and made a claim.

Scum, hate people who don't care about other's property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Certin people like that also wouldnt notice if there was a wheel missing too.

If you took say the rear passenger side wheel with basic tyre changing tools fitted to all cars im fairly sure you could jack jt up and take wheel and lower it to a reasonable height.....

But that would be bold...... bold like banging doors off cars....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Best thing to do with these people is cause an absolute scene. Especially in a busy car park; get out and embarrass the absolute **** out of them. Utter scum these people are. Even the cheapest car on the road is probably worth €500; they wouldnt think that its okay to go into your home and scratch your €500 flat screen TV, so why do they think that its okay to damage a car that is worth at least that and most likely many times more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

By any chance was she a middle aged large woman? The chances of this category parking beside you will guarantee a thump on your door. I was in my car with my son and a middle aged large woman pulled up beside she thumped her door off my car and said nothing even though my window was down. I said to my son "I knew she'd do it" she just gave me a stare and carried on :mad:

Sam Kade wrote: »
    By any chance was she a middle aged large woman? The chances of this category parking beside you will guarantee a thump on your door. I was in my car with my son and a middle aged large woman pulled up beside she thumped her door off my car and said nothing even though my window was down. I said to my son "I knew she'd do it" she just gave me a stare and carried on :mad:

Why did you let her away with it? These people continue to do this because people are too passive about it. Call them up on it and then bill them for the damage; only way to ensure they wont do it again.

djimi wrote: »
    Why did you let her away with it? These people continue to do this because people are too passive about it. Call them up on it and then bill them for the damage; only way to ensure they wont do it again.
    Better still claim from their insurance.
    Then they will lose their NCB aswell. Hit these idiots where it hurts. In the pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

djimi wrote: »
    But there was no visible damage.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    But there was no visible damage.

There might be the next time she does it. Even get out and let a roar at her; hopefully the embarrassment might make her think twice about doing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

report to the Gards that this person damaged your car and walked off, having failed to report it...then claim from their Insurance...the details are in the window! As a minimum it will; teach them some respect for other's vehicles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Something similar happened to me while parked in santry. The thunp was shocking. I got out to let her know. She looked confused but eventually apologised car was worth feck alk and wasnt too badly marked so i let it slide.
    Few keyboard warriors here wanting to take someones ncb for a scratch that a stone chipping does worse? Bit extreme imo

Had just washed and polished my car and waiting outside shops when a "classic" Clio stopped on my right. The lady owner generously thumped drivers door against my car. I said nothing. 5 minutes later the driver comes back, swings the door open again with an unbelievable thump. Walked around, found out a dent on my car and totally rusty door edge on her driver's door, no doubt after hitting every car she had ever parked next to her over the past 20 years or so.

I suddenly had an urge to get something from my passenger side and it could be that the double skinned door edge may have slightly kissed the thin single sheet on side of the Clio. Who knows...

congo_90 wrote: »
    Few keyboard warriors here wanting to take someones ncb for a scratch that a stone chipping does worse? Bit extreme imo

Id claim off the stones insurance too in fairness if it had any...

How much do you think a scratch costs to fix, out of interest? And would you consider it okay to cause comparable damage to another item of property and expect for it to be let slide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Something similar happened to me while parked in santry. The thunp was shocking. I got out to let her know. She looked confused but eventually apologised car was worth feck alk and wasnt too badly marked so i let it slide.

And here in lies the problem. You have no value in your car and think everyone else shouldn't have any in theirs.

Some one damages something belong to you then you get it fixed at their cost. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

That's the difference. If you're not bothered, then it's no big deal for either party.

I had a guy kick in the panel of a car that was worth ~€500, but was my pride and joy (first car syndrome :o) before. Collected €800 from him because it was purely malicious. Didn't know him, he didn't know me. He was locked out of his apt. block and in frustration kicked the nearest thing to him; my car.

All on CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I've met people like that. They don't care about my car and say they don't care until it actually happens to them, then all hell breaks loose.

Are you going to shell out 500 quid to fix the dent and then the paintwork?
    When some idiot with no regard for your property damages it from neglect.

You seem like the type of person that has no regard for another's property alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Door protector strips people.

The might look ugly, but far cheaper than repairing a door. They can bang their doors off them to their hearts content, but the funny thing is they don't seem to.

kevin65 wrote: »

The might look ugly, but far cheaper than repairing a door. They can bang their doors off them to their hearts content, but the funny thing is they don't seem to.

Or just a little cop on and respect from others.
    They wouldnt scratch a 500 quid tv but have no problem damaging a car worth 20 times that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Had a similar thing happen me a few weeks back I came back to my car in a car park to find the bumper had come off on the drivers side ,both the rear door and bumper was scraped to bits.
    I think they might have tried to reverse into the spot beside me then flew off after hitting my car, I only had the thing a month so I was fuming.

Or just a little cop on and respect from others.
    They wouldnt scratch a 500 quid tv but have no problem damaging a car worth 20 times that!

No, these kind of people wouldn't scratch a 500 quid TV, they would rob it. They just damage the stuff they can't steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

kevin65 wrote: »

Door protector strips only work when the person hitting your door has them on their door (which they dont cause the dont give a fcuk about your door)

This is one thing that really wrecks my head, I park in car parks as far away from everyone else because of this!

Sometimes in a busy car park I see a spot and pull in if the car next to me has bad scrapes and dinges all over it I pull out and get a different spot.

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Door protector strips only work when the person hitting your door has them on their door (which they dont cause the dont give a fcuk about your door)

This is one thing that really wrecks my head, I park in car parks as far away from everyone else because of this!

Sometimes in a busy car park I see a spot and pull in if the car next to me has bad scrapes and dinges all over it I pull out and get a different spot.

I'm not talking about the bits of plastic people put on the edge of their door, I'm talking about the protector strips that fit onto the door panel itself. Most car manufacturers offer them as accessories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

and park at back of car park where no one else is only to return and find a banger parked beside yours with only inches to spare. As you walk closer you wonder how did they get out of their car without hitting yours and then you realise they couldn't have lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I always do this, I will only park next to someone who I think takes care of their car or in a spot where I can park far enough away that even if they open their door it can't reach.

Advertisement