Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speakers not working.

Options
  • 11-06-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

I've been fiddling at cars for years and the one thing that never went wrong was a radio speaker. In fact I had presumed that was because there is nothing to go wrong, so now that three have stopped working I need advice.

The car is an Almera with two tweeters in the windscreen pillars, two speakers in the front doors and two speakers in the rear parcel shelf. The two speakers in the front doors are not working and one speaker in the parcel shelf is not working.

I have tested the two speakers in the parcel shelf so that I could compare a working and non working unit. There is a two-wire lead to each which I disconnected. I found that there is about 6.2 volts in each wire of each lead with the radio on. That seems strange to me but I presume it's OK because one speaker works with this feed.

I then set the meter to ohms and tested the speakers. The good speaker showed no resistance, ie a complete circuit. The dead speaker showed an open circuit.

So could it be something as simple as a broken joint in the dead speaker that could be fixed with a dab of solder? Or is there something else ?

I don't think it can be a "common fault" in the speakers because the front door units are Blaupunct and the rear shelf units are Clarion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Wheelnut wrote: »
    I've been fiddling at cars for years and the one thing that never went wrong was a radio speaker. In fact I had presumed that was because there is nothing to go wrong, so now that three have stopped working I need advice.

The car is an Almera with two tweeters in the windscreen pillars, two speakers in the front doors and two speakers in the rear parcel shelf. The two speakers in the front doors are not working and one speaker in the parcel shelf is not working.

I have tested the two speakers in the parcel shelf so that I could compare a working and non working unit. There is a two-wire lead to each which I disconnected. I found that there is about 6.2 volts in each wire of each lead with the radio on. That seems strange to me but I presume it's OK because one speaker works with this feed.

I then set the meter to ohms and tested the speakers. The good speaker showed no resistance, ie a complete circuit. The dead speaker showed an open circuit.

So could it be something as simple as a broken joint in the dead speaker that could be fixed with a dab of solder? Or is there something else ?

I don't think it can be a "common fault" in the speakers because the front door units are Blaupunct and the rear shelf units are Clarion.

The Almera speakers are one of the most troublesome ones around . I regularly have to replace them in my workshop. If you have sound coming from the 2 tweeters then I suggest you replace the rest of the speakers.
    What I normally do is to just replace the 2 front ones and o / c the wiring to the existing rears.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

The Almera speakers are one of the most troublesome ones around . I regularly have to replace them in my workshop...

... and o / c the wiring to the existing rears.

Thanks for the reply, just three quick questions arising from what you say:

Do you know what actually goes wrong with them?

Have you a source for replacements and what price?

What is "o / c"?

Thanks for the reply, just three quick questions arising from what you say:

Do you know what actually goes wrong with them?

Have you a source for replacements and what price?

What is "o / c"?

Very poor quality speakers and I have replaced them at least 20 times in customers cars. Go to a breakers yard and you should get 2 speakers for about 10 euro.' By o /c I mean unplug wires from rear speakers and just use the front speakers.

... Go to a breakers yard and you should get 2 speakers for about 10 euro.' ...

Are all speaker connections the same? For instance, if I get two speakers from a Ford will the Nissan plugs go into the sockets on the speakers?

Are all speaker connections the same? For instance, if I get two speakers from a Ford will the Nissan plugs go into the sockets on the speakers?
    All you have to do is join 2 wires to each other. Polarity does not matter.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that help.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Polarity does matter. The speakers will work either way but if they're wired out-of-phase with each other it won't sound right.

Advertisement