Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken conrod

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Has anyone any good stories about being reimbursed by the manufacturers for this problem?

My girlfriends 2008 1.9 Seat Leon had the same thing happen it 2 weeks ago, with less than 70k miles on it. I think theres a clear pattern for these BXE engines giving up. Car was serviced regularly

In the UK, I think there have been some success stories. In Ireland though, I don't think so. VW will claim it's just wear and tear and deny any fault with the BXE engines despite the pattern.

I was able to get 50% the cost off a new engine fitting from the VW dealer I bought the car from the previous year. If you bought it from a VW dealer reasonably recently you could go to them and plead your case, see if they'll offer any goodwill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Where would you find out if the car has one of these engines?

My dad has a 2007 1.9TDI A4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Where would you find out if the car has one of these engines?

My dad has a 2007 1.9TDI A4.
    On the cambelt cover there should be a printed paper label detailing the engine code.
    Or in the spare wheel well in the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Aforementioned boot sticker:

342225.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Has anyone any good stories about being reimbursed by the manufacturers for this problem?

My girlfriends 2008 1.9 Seat Leon had the same thing happen it 2 weeks ago, with less than 70k miles on it. I think theres a clear pattern for these BXE engines giving up. Car was serviced regularly
    Seems to be a combo of poor, low or wrong oil and LongLife servicing from googling other reports.

70K is pretty low for a 6+ year old car, was the car a town hopper? In which case engine would have spent much of its life oerating while "cold" on short journies which is when good quality oil lubrication matters most. Especially if it is driven in any way hard while warming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Kensington wrote: »
    Seems to be a combo of poor, low or wrong oil and LongLife servicing from googling other reports.

70K is pretty low for a 6+ year old car, was the car a town hopper? In which case engine would have spent much of its life oerating while "cold" on short journies which is when good quality oil lubrication matters most. Especially if it is driven in any way hard while warming up.

There are lots of town diesels out there, treated and driven as above, strangely the rest of them don't have 'escaping conrod syndrome" only the vws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

pred racer wrote: »
    There are lots of town diesels out there, treated and driven as above, strangely the rest of them don't have 'escaping conrod syndrome" only the vws.

Yep but throwing in 10w40 or 15w40 oil into the engine that meets no specs as is the wrong viscousity wouldnt help. Also almost all uk vw's of that era particularly golfs are on a variable service interval. Most aren't serviced only every 20-25k miles which is ridiculous regardless of whether the car thinks the oil is ok or not.

Sure this is a problem that is related to the engine or the bxe code but servicing every 15k km with vw 504/507 oil would greatly help prevent the issue forming occurring. I know of a hell of a lot of bxe golfs and passat with over 300k km on them going around with original engines and gearboxes.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Yep but throwing in 10w40 or 15w40 oil into the engine that meets no specs as is the wrong viscousity wouldnt help. Also almost all uk vw's of that era particularly golfs are on a variable service interval. Most aren't serviced only every 20-25k miles which is ridiculous regardless of whether the car thinks the oil is ok or not.

Sure this is a problem that is related to the engine or the bxe code but servicing every 15k km with vw 504/507 oil would greatly help prevent the issue forming occurring. I know of a hell of a lot of bxe golfs and passat with over 300k km on them going around with original engines and gearboxes.

I'm sure what you are saying is true, my point is, apart from these engines, when is the last time you heard of anything breaking a con rod that hadn't ingested something or broken a timing belt?
    This is a serious flaw (remember the people on variable servicing are following what the manufacturer told them to do) and vw should do something about it.

And no amount of fanboi ism will change that;)

I'm sure what you are saying is true, my point is, apart from these engines, when is the last time you heard of anything breaking a con rod that hadn't ingested something or broken a timing belt?
    This is a serious flaw (remember the people on variable servicing are following what the manufacturer told them to do) and vw should do something about it.

And no amount of fanboi ism will change that;)

I agree there are issues with that engine to cause the failure and vw are putting their heads in the sand about it in most cases. It's not like it's even just a matter of doing a standard engine rebuild on it after you are really in trouble with it. I think a new bxe engine from vw is 6k or something along them lines and getting a secondhand you are risking the same thing happening. There are still plenty of cars going around worth 10k with these bxe engines and its a lot of money to have tied up in something which effectively becomes worthless when the engine goes.

So from that point off view I do feel sorry for people that it happens to. My car has a bxe of engine and tbh Id be so sick if the engine did go. But at the sametime you can't really start worrying about what might go wrong in your car or you would go mad.

But at the sametime you can't really start worrying about what might go wrong in your car or you would go mad.

You don't have to tell me that, I drive an Alfa :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Probably not of the 08/09 era, Ireland only went diesel crazy on towncars around 2010/2011 onwards :)

Each engine has its own characteristic problems, e.g. the 1.6 Duratec engine (Ford, Mazda, Citroen) had a knack of chewing up turbos, again, if the oil was in anyway low or of poor quality, the Renault 1.9DCi had a habit of running away with itself...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk

has anyone replaced there bxe engine, and the second one went as well, as I have a vw passat 08 1.9tdi bxe engine and have only replaced it recently

colmkirk wrote: »
    has anyone replaced there bxe engine, and the second one went as well, as I have a vw passat 08 1.9tdi bxe engine and have only replaced it recently

Well it could technically go again as its an internal engine weakness conrods. Was it a brand new engine that was put in. They seem to be failing at 70k plus miles at the earliest. Using proper good quality oil that meets the specs and keeping them serviced on time will definitely help to prevent the failure IMO.

What mileage was on the first engine in your passat when it went and did you keep it well maintained serviced on time with the correct oil ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 colmkirk

Well it could technically go again as its an internal engine weakness conrods. Was it a brand new engine that was put in. They seem to be failing at 70k plus miles at the earliest. Using proper good quality oil that meets the specs and keeping them serviced on time will definitely help to prevent the failure IMO.

What mileage was on the first engine in your passat when it went and did you keep it well maintained serviced on time with the correct oil ?

There was 100,000 on it when it went, and was serviced regularly with with fully synthetic oil

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Apparently you can prevent the issue from occurring if you change the crank/cam shell bearings, a diy job taking about 2 hours.

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Apparently you can prevent the issue from occurring if you change the crank/cam shell bearings, a diy job taking about 2 hours.
    Since when was replacing shell bearings a DIY job?

apologies for trying to being helpful. i was assuming a level of technical competence among those who would be searching for this kind of information and reading this thread. obviously if changing a light bulb is a challenge for you, i would not recommend you attempt engine work.

There is technical competence and then there is technical competence.
    Changing a bulb/airfilter/oil filter is one thing, replacing bearing shells in situ is not really the same league, fair enough if you have plastigauge handy and have done a lot of engine rebuilding but most people won't have delved that deep into engine internals.
    I would be very surprised if any good engine builder could do cam and crank bearings in 2 hrs, let alone a DIY'er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Ha ha ha this site cracks me up sometimes. ... I won't even bother questioning this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

jca wrote: »
    Ha ha ha this site cracks me up sometimes. ... I won't even bother questioning this one.

That has no bearing on the cam.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Maybe he's this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcEBxLC-kY
    Sure with an electric screwdriver you can do anything...

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There is technical competence and then there is technical competence.
    Changing a bulb/airfilter/oil filter is one thing, replacing bearing shells in situ is not really the same league, fair enough if you have plastigauge handy and have done a lot of engine rebuilding but most people won't have delved that deep into engine internals.
    I would be very surprised if any good engine builder could do cam and crank bearings in 2 hrs, let alone a DIY'er

Any competent diy mechanic is capable of changing the bearings in situ. you do not need plastigauge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

apologies for trying to being helpful. i was assuming a level of technical competence among those who would be searching for this kind of information and reading this thread. obviously if changing a light bulb is a challenge for you, i would not recommend you attempt engine work.

The reality is though, by the time someone is searching for this kind of information, their conrod has already gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Sorry to bring up an old thread but can you provide more information. I just bought a high miler BXE and can do this work. I'm not able to find a part number I can use to order the cam shell bearings, picking up the car this weekend and will be doing this also.

I have this off ebay Reference OE/OEM Number: 038103673B

Sorted now, ordered parts.

Advertisement