Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ReOccupy Galway 2013- A short film detailing Gardai abuse of power

Options
  • 01-07-2013 12:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

Here is a link to a short film about the abuse of power and the infringement of the basic rights of Irish citizens in contemporary Ireland by its national police force- An Garda Siochana. This short amateur film was made by myself after witnessing the abuse of rights of peaceful protesters by Gardai and happening to have my camera with me to record the spectacle.

I know that the occupy protesters divide opinion on this site, but I still wonder whether Irish people have become so apathetic as to disregard the flagrant abuse of the rights of Irish citizens to peaceful protest, as is documented in this short film I made.

I am in no way affiliated with Occupy Galway. I was just a man walking by with a video camera who was fairly disgusted by the behavior of our national police force in how they treated the people they are supposed to protect.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZoldtp39IA&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Too long, too noisy and ranty to really bother trying to listen. Glad the guards stopped people defacing the Square on a sunny day.

IBTL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭zootshooter

Well thanks for sharing such an enlightened opinion. I'm glad you've got your eyes open and your ear to the ground. The country needs more people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

so why didnt the owner come forward and claim the property?

huge leap there lads from a garda taking property, that none of ye supposedly owned, to some sort of anti democracy/right to assemble conspiracy.

What really annoys me is your arrogance of other peoples opinion. As if you have seen the light and look down on the rest of us.

I went down to the occupy tent and had a look around and it was good but then i looked on some of the posters and saw the freemen nonsense posted up.
    Thats when i know ye were full of it. Its kinda hypocritical to state and quote the constitution and laws inferred from it whilst on the other hand peddling
    nonsense about human entities and legal names and pseudo maritime law bull****.

If ye really believed in what you preach you would do what ming did, get elected. At least he now has a platform and a mandate.

Instead its easier to go around saying we are all disillusioned and arent enlightened has much as ye. Goin around spouting "i told ya so!" is the typical irish hurlers in the ditch approach. Sorry lads but that isnt going to get ye support.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm gonna leave this here for now, but would like to know what line of discussion you're hoping to open up keeping in mind that this is the Galway City forum, not politics, not cool vids and pics...so what's the aim of this thread in the Galway sense?

To all posters, keep cool heads and be polite, if you can't then please don't waste your energy posting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭zootshooter

Well I'd say its a pretty relevant topic considering this happened in the center of Galway and the guards are the protectors of peace and the servants of the people and some might just see stopping people writing with chalk in the rain as a bit of waste of tax payers money. Especially in light of rising levels of crime throughout the city and what with Anglo bankers pulling 7 billion euros out of their arse and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Well I'd say its a pretty relevant topic considering this happened in the center of Galway and the guards are the protectors of peace and the servants of the people and some might just see stopping people writing with chalk in the rain as a bit of waste of tax payers money. Especially in light of rising levels of crime throughout the city and what with Anglo bankers pulling 7 billion euros out of their arse and all.

you didnt answer the question?

why didnt the owner come forward?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Well I'd say its a pretty relevant topic considering this happened in the center of Galway

That's the only reason I can see for leaving the thread here, I was hoping you could enlighten me with some other reason.
    and the guards are the protectors of peace and the servants of the people and some might just see stopping people writing with chalk in the rain as a bit of waste of tax payers money. Especially in light of rising levels of crime throughout the city and what with Anglo bankers pulling 7 billion euros out of their arse and all.

these national issues are largely why I think the Galway city forum is not the most suitable place for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Fair play to the protesters for coming out and protesting issues that they feel strongly about. I think that greed and corruption has become endemic many sections of society. I think the right to protest is great and fair play for people coming out and doing so to highlight this issue.

Now on the other hand, the occupy group came out and said they were going to reoccupy eyre square. I disagreed with the last group waiting so long in the square and turning it into an eyesore and turning a section of a public square into a mini shanty town.

The Gardai came in and made sure this did not happen again. In your video they clearly confiscated the materials that the group had which would have aided their stated aim to reoccupy the square. They told the protesters they could get their property back at the station. I think the Gardai were courteous and dealt with the protesters with respect despite the shouting and cameras stuck in their faces.

I found that behaviour disgraceful...3-4 cameras stuck directly in the faces of Gardai who were doing their jobs. Surely if the group wanted to record the conversation with the gardai for whatever purpose 1 camera would have sufficed. I was pretty disgusted with that. The protesters made their protest about the conflict with gardai and their aim to draw all over the square and (as they claimed) reoccupy it. I know chalk washes off easily but if large numbers of people went around the city drawing all over everything in chalk the city would look pretty terrible in my opinion.

As the garda recommended they should have used a bit of cop on. They could have protested, had their voices heard, handed out flyers and gotten people in on their cause without all the extra drama. The behaviour of the protesters in this video makes it harder for many normal people to protest alongside them.

Anyway you asked for opinions and than is my honest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

The Gardaí were ordered to the square in the first place in order to prevent another reoccupation. You could say that the occupiers themselves were causing a waste of taxpayers money.
    Not to mention that defacement of public property is what it is, regardless of how temporary it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,160 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Are we really gonna do this again?

• Advertisement

Well thank you for an honest and thoughtful reply. I don't see why you think i am affiliated with the group. What makes you think I am? I was just a curious bystander who happened to want to try out their new video camera and i think i managed to capture something worth documenting. I also think it is pretty obvious why it is relevant to the people of Galway. This is directly linked to how the city is policed by the gardai, in the light of frustrations felt by a lot of resident of Galway, myself included, with how the gardai respond to crime in the city, I think this video highlights a monumental waste of resources.

I don't see why a debate like this can't be allowed to continue.

If its just about the use of Galway garda resources then im sure it wont go down the toilet like all the other Occupy threads but if not then..........

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bunch of scrounging loons

Rather than wastes taxpayers money having to deal with these eyesores
    Try contribute to society and get a job rather than moaning and freeloading

Mod note, banned

I also think it is pretty obvious why it is relevant to the people of Galway. This is directly linked to how the city is policed by the gardai, in the light of frustrations felt by a lot of resident of Galway, myself included, with how the gardai respond to crime in the city, I think this video highlights a monumental waste of resources.

I don't see why a debate like this can't be allowed to continue.

Take this feedback at face value, your opening post does not make that clear at all: re-read it, edit it and make your point clear as no-one in this thread so far seems to have copped that you want a discussion about how the gardai respond to crime. I initially thought you wanted reviews of your short :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Fair play to the garda...kept his cool and treated them with respect. If i was the guard and had cameras put in my face like that i'd have fired them into a paddy wagon and let them occupy a cell in Mill St for a while where they could chant all the sh1te they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A quick search on boards, or your own site OP, show more camera work from you at the square.
    I'd be inclined to think this is more that "a man walking by with a video camera".
    Also your choice of title kinda gives it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yes the Garda done a great job there nothing wrong that I can see, as a matter of fact I walked by several times during the day and looking at the film angles I saw you filming there that day, there was another guy who kept walking around the Garda filming them, I thought they showed great patience with him sticking his camera almost in there faces, well done Galway Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

To view it impartially as someone who doesn't know about the protest or Occupy, the Gardaí in this video came across as very courteous and reasonable.
    If I was a conspiracy theorist, in fact I might think it was made by them. ;)

Not the best example to use if you are trying to indicate abuse of power. There are others floating around from the last week in Ireland that do show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Sorry for wandering off topic, but doesn't Eyre Square look mighty in the sunshine compared to the grey dampness at the end of the video?

inisboffin wrote: »
    To view it impartially as someone who doesn't know about the protest or Occupy, the Gardaí in this video came across as very courteous and reasonable.
    If I was a conspiracy theorist, in fact I might think it was made by them. ;)

Not the best example to use if you are trying to indicate abuse of power. There are others floating around from the last week in Ireland that do show that.
    Bought tinfoil yesterday Inis,i'll make you a hat :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I started off the video but it bored me silly.

Where's the baton charge at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

i can see absolutely nothing wrong with what the gardai did in the video. They kept their cool despite provocation from the occupiers shoving cameras in their faces hoping they would at some point let their guard down which never happened. This is a farce if it's the best that occupy galway can provide as evidence of Garda abuse. It's also an affront to the intelligence of everyone to try and pass this off as just an impartial bypasser who happened to have a camcorder. If you are going to lie blatently then don't forget to delete the multitude of historical posts you have related to Occupy Dame Street!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭squonk

Do we have to do this again? We had a very long thread about ReOccupy Galway a few weeks ago that went nowhere. I think most people have seen the Occupy/ReOccupy movement in Galway now for what it is. In any case, I think people are less interested now in what the movement have to offer than they were even when the camp started first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Here is a link to a short film about the abuse of power and the infringement of the basic rights of Irish citizens in contemporary Ireland by its national police force- An Garda Siochana. This short amateur film was made by myself after witnessing the abuse of rights of peaceful protesters by Gardai and happening to have my camera with me to record the spectacle.

I know that the occupy protesters divide opinion on this site, but I still wonder whether Irish people have become so apathetic as to disregard the flagrant abuse of the rights of Irish citizens to peaceful protest, as is documented in this short film I made.

I am in no way affiliated with Occupy Galway. I was just a man walking by with a video camera who was fairly disgusted by the behavior of our national police force in how they treated the people they are supposed to protect.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZoldtp39IA&feature=youtu.be

I'm inclined to believe you that you are in no way affiliated with Occupy Galway. That video paints Occupy Galway people in a very bad light, so maybe you are trying to undermine their campaign.

There is plenty of reasons for people to protest the current political and economic environment, however having it hijacked by certain groups doesn't help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 sphincter_boy

I am a "friend" of zootshooter, since he got banned for starting this very thread, it's not possible for him to post anymore and respond to all these mental conspiracy theories that are being suggested regarding his links to occupy.

I can assure you that he was just walking by at the time of the protest on his way to Marks and Spencers and he stuck around for about half an hour in order to try out his brand new slr camera. It is true that once he took a photograph of the occupy protest the year before, but I'm not sure that really counts as being affiliated with that group. He also defended some of their principles after many members criticised his photograph on the irrelevant basis of whether or not they agreed with the protest.

Members of this site now feel like they can ascribe his political allegiances and affiliations simply on the basis that he once took a picture of a protest and once partook in a discussion about it.

Freedom of speech is completely absent from this site never mind the wider Irish community. My "friend" was banned for simply starting this thread under a new account because he couldn't remember his password for his old account that he gave up using last year. When his new account was deleted for starting this thread. He got a reminder sent for his old one and so he posted in under that. Zoot shooter was then banned for "spamming". I have never heard of one post being defined as spamming before, but there you go.

As a result this discussion can't really continue.

I will just say that the Gardai clearly violate protestors' right to protest in the film that was posted by taking away chalk from them as well as a gazebo used to shelter speakers and the crowd from the many rainshowers that occurred on the day.

They also violated their right to property when doing the same.

These are clear violations of Irish constitutional law by our national police force and noone really gives a toss. Fair enough they are small things, mostly symbolic perhaps, but just because you break a constitutional right in a small way, it doesn't change the fact that these rights are a pretty important facet of the document that governs law and order in our country.

Good luck ever talking about any of the big issues in our society on a site that stifles discussion in a country that doesn't even allow people to protest populated by people who don't even care about their constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Watched movie. Mind unchanged. Position confirmed.

First 'Godwin' @ 9'10".

Does it count in a video?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The thread title is misleading as Eyre Square wasn't re-occupied as only 3/4 people turned up.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The thread title is misleading as Eyre Square wasn't re-occupied as only 3/4 people turned up.

True. A genuine 'occupy' demands a quorum of 10 people, two dogs, and a tent. What they had there was a 'hang about in'. While the 'hang about in' does have a long and noble tradition, in modern times it has been somewhat devalued by teenagers with no actual agenda to speak of. I have no doubt the 'hang about in' might potentially have developed into a relatively minor 'occupy', but it turns out that nobody was really interested. Probably too busy getting on with life to be hanging around whining...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

The whole occupy thing I thought was great right at the start( not just in galway but worldwide). There is a lot of unfairness in our society and its something we should have a conversation about but the moment people involved in started spouting freeman crap etc I lost interest. Replacing a self serving system with another self serving system isn't really progress. Pity, cause I feel it was an opportunity lost.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 sphincter_boy

endacl wrote: »
    True. A genuine 'occupy' demands a quorum of 10 people, two dogs, and a tent. What they had there was a 'hang about in'. While the 'hang about in' does have a long and noble tradition, in modern times it has been somewhat devalued by teenagers with no actual agenda to speak of. I have no doubt the 'hang about in' might potentially have developed into a relatively minor 'occupy', but it turns out that nobody was really interested. Probably too busy getting on with life to be hanging around whining...

A great use of Garda Resources so, 20 or so Garda spending the day and well into the night policing a "hang about in".

Now I finally understand why we can't afford all those police stations closing down around the country, and why the Guards never bothered turning up when I made a noise complaint at 5am on a Monday morning cause my neighbours were throwing their furniture out the window onto the traffic.

It's cause they're doing real valuable policing. They are stoppping the real gangsters from protesting peacefully in a public space, they are earning their money by pulling chalk out of peoples hands when they are trying to write on a wet footpath.

Good to know that my taxes are being spent on such valuable police work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement