Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭topcat72

kilburn wrote: »
    Strange move when they are selling the building I presume they would not rent the top floor would make a good office location though

I thought that too, but maybe there is better newer office space available in the city. Good location though, could hardly be more central.
    Not a great sign for the city centre, if established larger retailers are scaling back their space. Constant rumours about Debenhams situation also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

topcat72 wrote: »
    I thought that too, but maybe there is better newer office space available in the city. Good location though, could hardly be more central.
    Not a great sign for the city centre, if established larger retailers are scaling back their space. Constant rumours about Debenhams situation also.

Debenhams UK (separate to Ireland) is close to going to administration if Mike Ashley has anything to do with it so it doesn’t bode well.

Debenhams in Limerick has always been crap too which doesn’t help matters. Menswear is like a bargain basement, the upstairs has carpet from the early 90s and the layout is pretty dire. I understand that as tenants of the Roche family that they couldn’t really do much which didn’t help matters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

topcat72 wrote: »

TBH, I'm amazed that places likes Easons and O'Mahoneys haven't already gone the way of HMV. I don't know how online isn't killing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Debenhams UK (separate to Ireland) is close to going to administration if Mike Ashley has anything to do with it so it doesn’t bode well.

Debenhams in Limerick has always been crap too which doesn’t help matters. Menswear is like a bargain basement, the upstairs has carpet from the early 90s and the layout is pretty dire. I understand that as tenants of the Roche family that they couldn’t really do much which didn’t help matters

I don't think the Roche's retained ownership of the Limerick building. Think it was only Pana in Cork and a Dublin store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

TBH, I'm amazed that places likes Easons and O'Mahoneys haven't already gone the way of HMV. I don't know how online isn't killing them.

I like to read and listen to music. My music can come from spotify, it doesn't matter as it is not a physical tangible product. A book is. And I tried a Kindle, which I lost and never bothered to replace so I will continue to buy books or visit the library. A book is as much about the product as the story and a Kindle doesn't fulfil that. Plus a shelf filled with books is a nice piece of furniture in itself. As long as there are people who think the same way, bookshops will exist. And Amazon may be cheaper but you can't browse like you can in a bookshop. Book shopping is a tactile experience so I reckon it will continue for many years. A visit to Phil's bookshop is a lovely experience too, a hidden gem in the city centre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I like to read and listen to music. My music can come from spotify, it doesn't matter as it is not a physical tangible product. A book is. And I tried a Kindle, which I lost and never bothered to replace so I will continue to buy books or visit the library. A book is as much about the product as the story and a Kindle doesn't fulfil that. Plus a shelf filled with books is a nice piece of furniture in itself. As long as there are people who think the same way, bookshops will exist. And Amazon may be cheaper but you can't browse like you can in a bookshop. Book shopping is a tactile experience so I reckon it will continue for many years. A visit to Phil's bookshop is a lovely experience too, a hidden gem in the city centre.

I wasn't talking about Kindle (although I do have one). I've been buying physical books online for well over a decade. Yes there are plenty of people like yourself, but there are still plenty of people who want physical CDs and albums too, yet that didn't save the record stores. Therefore that's why I'm surprised that theyre still surviving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Driving past Ivans/Ramen on the Ennis Road this morning and it doesn't look good for them, all the windows covered and signs saying closed until further notice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Skuxx wrote: »
    Driving past Ivans/Ramen on the Ennis Road this morning and it doesn't look good for them, all the windows covered and signs saying closed until further notice!

That's a pity. Sorry for all concerned. Was in there Saturday evening and it seemed to be quite busy.

I liked their hot food deli and their prepared meals. Always found them tasty and good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Comhra wrote: »
    That's a pity. Sorry for all concerned. Was in there Saturday evening and it seemed to be quite busy.

I liked their hot food deli and their prepared meals. Always found them tasty and good value.

going by reviews on trip advisor & other places put it @ 3.8 out of 5 so it was hit & miss. & seemed to have issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

going by reviews on trip advisor & other places put it @ 3.8 out of 5 so it was hit & miss. & seemed to have issues.

I tried their takeaway twice and thought it was below par alright. Didn't go back.

The non-Asian food from the main shop was pretty good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Moon Dice

The tripadvisor reviews look very bad alright. I always found the one in the crescent very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I was going to go in there before the cinema a couple of weeks ago, a quick read of the trip advisor reviews made me change my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Ramen was poor anytime I had it. The likes of Camile and Aroi have much better food at similar or cheaper prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Looks like Ivans is no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The only thing I could say about ramen was the portions were huge, but the flavour was really not great for Asian food.

As for Ivan's, it wasn't great imo, limited range, expensive and a lot of the staff needed a good lesson in dealing with the public. Not one bit friendly or helpful. Turned me off going there. They had some nice wines there in the begininng though, but that range really dwindled.

They were trying to be all things to all men, but kind of failed.

It's a pity it's closed, and it's never nice for people to lose their jobs but the writing was kind of on the wall for a while imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

It went downhill after it reopened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

article in limerick papers about it reopening soon, funding available etc etc.

phill106 wrote: »
    article in limerick papers about it reopening soon, funding available etc etc.

If that was the limerick leader article it was a load of bull**** all false info. The place is in liquidation sure if they bothered researching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

If that was the limerick leader article it was a load of bull**** all false info. The place is in liquidation sure if they bothered researching it.

Wouldn't be unheard of a company to go into liquidation and another one to crop up and replace it.

• Advertisement

Just drove past Supermacs in Dooradoyle and it looks like it is gone. The Hungry Lyon has a sign up over the doors now whatever that is. Quick Google search and nothing about it.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Just drove past Supermacs in Dooradoyle and it looks like it is gone. The Hungry Lyon has a sign up over the doors now whatever that is. Quick Google search and nothing about it.

i know hook & ladder is supposed to going in to that coffee place that is there now. i was only @ supermacs there last wk now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just had a look online there and Supermacs on the Ennis Rd now seems to be The Hungry Lyons as well.

What's going on there?

Just had a look online there and Supermacs on the Ennis Rd now seems to be The Hungry Lyons as well.

What's going on there?
    your man is renovating that ennis road super macs there he is closing it for 2/3 days to do it.badly needs it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

What's going on there?
    http://www.thejournal.ie/supermacs-franchise-dispute-4668875-Jun2019/?amp=1
    Think this is the issue

sioda wrote: »

Ya your are right there.

• Advertisement

Ah that makes sense so. Went in to the one in dooradoyle last week and they had no chicken saying it was a supplier issue. They have obviously cut ties with Supermacs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

your man is renovating that ennis road super macs there he is closing it for 2/3 days to do it.badly needs it anyway.

Think the franchise owner is Lyons so that might explain the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LimkTeach

Think the franchise owner is Lyons so that might explain the name.

Yes and they owned/ran Verona. When I read the name in the post further up I went onto facebook as I remember seeing they had a lion as their profile picture the day they welcome hook and ladder to dooradoyle. They have it up on the Verona Facebook page that today was the first day of their new business, The Hungry Lyons and they linked a facebook page for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Will have to head to Ballysimon so next time I fancy a chicken sandwich and garlic and cheese chip :D

Will have to head to Ballysimon so next time I fancy a chicken sandwich and garlic and cheese chip :D

I'm sure Pet won't be long sourcing new sites in close proximity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

LimkTeach wrote: »
    Yes and they owned/ran Verona. When I read the name in the post further up I went onto facebook as I remember seeing they had a lion as their profile picture the day they welcome hook and ladder to dooradoyle. They have it up on the Verona Facebook page that today was the first day of their new business, The Hungry Lyons and they linked a facebook page for that.

My only dealings with them are having picked up one of their beautiful dogs who gets out and roams, I’ve got her home at least 3 times now. All that money and not enough to put a name tag on their animals. Herself is not a bit nice about it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

John and Anne Lyons own the one on the Ennis Road too. Any update on that?

It's closed or closing apparently for refurbishments. I don't think it will do well if they rabranded it the hungry Lyon especially with KFC opening up across the road from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Hungry Lyons posters going up there too at the moment!!

It's closed apparently for refurbishments as one poster mentioned earlier. I don't think it will do well if they rabranded it the hungry Lyon especially with KFC opening up across the road from it.

Dont forget Mc Donalds is only across the road as well From it. But they are all different type.Kfc is more chicken, Mcdonalds is more cheap eurosaver menu &''''supermacs'' or what ever now was like for garlic cheese chip, curry chip type.dont forget funworld is beside it as well. Match day & movies as well make a big difference.

Dont forget Mc Donalds is only across the road as well From it. But they are all different type.Kfc is more chicken, Mcdonalds is more cheap eurosaver menu &''''supermacs'' or what ever now was like for garlic cheese chip, curry chip type.dont forget funworld is beside it as well. Match day & movies as well make a big difference.

Fat Pat owns the Funworld name too so I doubt it.

Fat Pat owns the Funworld name too so I doubt it.
    I only heard he was just closing the restaurant part for few days to do it up& that part was grand he wasnt going near it.(that was only talking @ lunch today).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I see it's already Hungry Lyons on Google Maps

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

Pat Mcdonagh finally won the war after losing the battle in the paper a few weeks ago. The guys in charge of those franchises were shorted numerous deliveries over last few weeks. They have had no choice but to leave the Supermac’s name! Pat Mcdonagh is definitely not the hero we all read about. The long standing business relationship destroyed and resulted in the aforementioned tactics to get back at them. Both Ennis road and Dooradoyle will be rebranded as “Hungry Lyons” and will be a massive blow to those restaurants! Sad dat

They had an almighty falling out resulting in a court case so I would imagine the second the franchise agreement was up Pat pulled it. He is known for being notoriously tough in business.

• Advertisement

jjoconoor wrote: »
    Pat Mcdonagh finally won the war after losing the battle in the paper a few weeks ago. The guys in charge of those franchises were shorted numerous deliveries over last few weeks. They have had no choice but to leave the Supermac’s name! Pat Mcdonagh is definitely not the hero we all read about. The long standing business relationship destroyed and resulted in the aforementioned tactics to get back at them. Both Ennis road and Dooradoyle will be rebranded as “Hungry Lyons” and will be a massive blow to those restaurants! Sad dat

I say one is as bad as the other now I say. 50/50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

didn't the same sort of thing happen with eddie rockets a few years back?

fryup wrote: »
    didn't the same sort of thing with eddie rockets a few years back?

Ya The 3 of them in limerick, changed to Rockin Joe's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

The Ennis Road one now has the Hungry Lyons logo but the Supermacs signage stating it was undergoing renovation.

The now empty Ivans shop would be a handy number for Supermacs. Its got lots of parking, lots of space and is at a busy junction. Its even closer to Thomond Park than Lyons Supermacs was and Supermacs was always jammed after Rugby and GAA matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Dooradoyle one was definitely open at 7pm. Was parked across road reading this forum(exciting life) and lights on and staff in dark polo shirts behind counter.

In my opinion it doesn't matter what the brand is but the location is perfect for a fast food outlet.

I always thought though that store was supermacs owned, not a franchise.

Ya The 3 of them in limerick, changed to Rockin Joe's.

And Cork and Galway. The franchisee ran out of cash after the Waterford branch burnt down.

Anyway Pet isn't finished in Limerick by a long shot, he'd open a kiosk outside Penneys if the opportunity arose.

And Cork and Galway. The franchisee ran out of cash after the Waterford branch burnt down.

Anyway Pet isn't finished in Limerick by a long shot, he'd open a kiosk outside Penneys if the opportunity arose.
    :rolleyes: mysteriously burnt down ??

:rolleyes: mysteriously burnt down ??

Chip pans are dangerous.

They are actually Cousins Mc Donagh & Lyons Wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Bicyclette wrote: »
    The now empty Ivans shop would be a handy number for Supermacs. Its got lots of parking, lots of space and is at a busy junction. Its even closer to Thomond Park than Lyons Supermacs was and Supermacs was always jammed after Rugby and GAA matches.

This would be a disaster for anyone arriving at the cross from the Condell Road side. As someone who uses this road daily I can tell you that the lights on that particular side are a pain in the ar*e. Every second light change allows enough time for a maximum of 3-4 cars to go through before they change again.

If the carpark beside Ivan's is busy then this makes for an even longer delay with cars forcing their way in and out.

For this to work the carpark layout would need to be changed and the timing on the lights also looked at.

Advertisement