Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small baby

Options
  • 17-03-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Hi i was in for check up on tues and am 31weeks, when the doctor was examining me she noticed that Fundal height measurement was small aswell as the baby, they sent me for an u/s to confirm and the Fundal height measurement was ony 18cm if im not mistaken. so they gave me a steroid injection and had to go back for another one the next day, they said this was for baby's lungs just incase they had to induce early labour. i go back for another scan in two week to see what situation is. I just wondering if the baby hasn't grown by then will they have to induce labour or will they just monitor from week to week? not sure what the next step would be as was a bit frazzled to ask what would happen next couldn't find the words

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Basically if the baby isn't growing right in the womb for whatever reason (usually a placental insufficiency) it'll stand a better chance if it's delivered early and continues its development outside the womb.

Babies tiny little lungs are very immature if delivered early and this is why they give the steroid injection to give them that little bit more strength for life outside the womb.

I suggest that you get a pen and paper and start writing down questions now as they come to you. Bring these questions to your next appointment because I can assure you that you will not remember everything you want to ask when you are so anxious.

One question you need to ask, is what are the risks of delivering my baby early against leaving my baby to come in its own time?

Good luck and congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, i dont have any answers to your questions, just posting as i'm in a similar situation. I oonly found out i was pregnant at 5 months. I'm now 27weeks. I had my first scan(just to confirm dates) on 28th feb, then was booked for my big scan 10 days ago. As you can imagine we were reall anxious to know everything was ok with babY-which for the most part it is. Sonographer said all organs, heart etc looked great but then said she thought there some extra fluid around baby so booked me in for a repeat scan to check. At this stage, by my dates, i was approx 26wks pregnant, but was told baby was measuring 24wks. I went for repeat scan and was told there was no extra fluid but they think baby is a bit small. Obviously i was upset. And scared. But i'v since calmed down and discussed things with mid wife and doctor who told me it may not be a big problem as long as baby continues to grow. I have another scan at end of the month to check growth again. In my case there has been uncertainty about my dates from my beginning as i had irregular periods anyway and the fact that i didnt know i was pregnant for such a long time. I'm just hoping and praying everything is ok at my next scan.. Is this the first you have heard about the baby being small, they didnt mention it at any previous scan's? When is your next appointment to check the baby's progress? I hope things are going ok for you. Best of luck with everything :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suggest that you get a pen and paper and start writing down questions now as they come to you. Bring these questions to your next appointment because I can assure you that you will not remember everything you want to ask when you are so anxious.
    And if you want, bring someone with you to help ask those questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

qwertytlk wrote: »
    Hi, i dont have any answers to your questions, just posting as i'm in a similar situation. I oonly found out i was pregnant at 5 months. I'm now 27weeks. I had my first scan(just to confirm dates) on 28th feb, then was booked for my big scan 10 days ago. As you can imagine we were reall anxious to know everything was ok with babY-which for the most part it is. Sonographer said all organs, heart etc looked great but then said she thought there some extra fluid around baby so booked me in for a repeat scan to check. At this stage, by my dates, i was approx 26wks pregnant, but was told baby was measuring 24wks. I went for repeat scan and was told there was no extra fluid but they think baby is a bit small. Obviously i was upset. And scared. But i'v since calmed down and discussed things with mid wife and doctor who told me it may not be a big problem as long as baby continues to grow. I have another scan at end of the month to check growth again. In my case there has been uncertainty about my dates from my beginning as i had irregular periods anyway and the fact that i didnt know i was pregnant for such a long time. I'm just hoping and praying everything is ok at my next scan.. Is this the first you have heard about the baby being small, they didnt mention it at any previous scan's? When is your next appointment to check the baby's progress? I hope things are going ok for you. Best of luck with everything :-)

I was only back for check up at 31 wks and doc noticed that i was bit small for 31 wks so sent me for a scan and woman doing scan agreed so they gave me two steroid injections for baby's lungs and that there just going to keep an eye on the babys growth and another scan next week to determine what the next step will be, so hopefully he'll have grown loads by then.

i hope things go well for you and the baby is ok

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Our son stopped growing at 31 weeks, they kept a close eye on him and he was born at 37 weeks at 4lb 11oz, he lasted about 7 hours in the incubator before being moved to a less high care unit (he was rolling over!) - he is over 11.5 months old now and has caught up weight wise and is hopefully getting a baby sister in May. I know how scary this is but just wanted to let you know what happened in our case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

I'm 28 wks. Had a fetal growth scan yesterday, and baby was measuring small. Previous to that it has always been measuring right for dates. Hospital are concerned because the scan also showed that the Doppler S/D was raised (over the 95 percentile).

Just wondering if any of you had experience the same problem. I'm back next Monday for more detailed scans in order to test the level of amniotic fluid and the bloodflow through baby and the placenta.

I'm expecting this baby to be delivered early as I was told that I there is no way they would allow me to go over 38 wks. And they are also monitoring me weekly for other issues that I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FutureMom2Two

I'm shocked to see theres quite a few of us out there going through the same thing or have already.

Cathy your story gives me hope
    I'm expecting twins and my little boy is very small he has slowed in growth over the past 4/6weeks and although hes still growing it is defineltly at a much slower pace.
    They're checking cord flow and amniotic fluid levels every 3 days as of yesterday when he dropped below 5th centile on abdominal circ.
    He is 10th percentile for weight for his gestation of 30wks+1

They have two separate placenta's and My other twin a girl is doing too well 84th percentile for weight.

I have a scan on thursday and if results are bad I will be admitted immediately.

I talked with consultant yesterday but still feel in the dark about everything
    Although I'm aware it could go one or two ways
    One is that things deteriate and a c section/premature delivery becomes neccessary.
    The other is if he continues on with minimal growth and fluid levels/cord flows are good then the pregnancy will continue to term or close to it.

Advertisement