Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spacers.

• 02-06-2014 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Hey!

Considering getting 15 or 20mm bolt on spacers for the car. I'm hoping that along with lowering it ~30mm, they will help to get the wheels filling the arches a bit better.

I've heard they put extra pressure on wheel bearings and similar stories. I'm wondering if they're to be avoided or if they're safe to use, once you get a reputable brand?

Just a rough example in this pic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Wheel Spacers explained - from Driftworks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uagmGqeomng

They do put pressure on wheel bearing and wear it out quicker.

Safety is an issue if you ignore a worn out wheel bearing. I have seen wheels come off with hubs. But that was not due to a spacer just a worn out bearing ignored till it came apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

spacers would only normally be used on aftermarket wheels where the offset is wrong and the wheels is sitting too far in.

I take it you got genuine Toyota alloys on your car? If so the offset is correct on them for your car and no spacers are required.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    no spacers are required.

Neither is lowering, but I'm pretty confident he's doing it for aesthetics :P

As far as I know, OP, the ones in your photo are fine. I haven't used spacers myself, but have been tempted by them many a time (and I know I will cave sometime soon).

There's a Hilux around Drogheda that has rather obvious spacers fitted. Must have spent a few euro on them, as the wheels are protruding quite a bit, but my anecdotal evidence is that if a spacer can support the weight of a Hilux, then it can support most cars without too much wear and tear (so long as you're somewhat responsible and not wreckless with them, of course).

But I've never actually used them myself, so take my post with the grain of salt it deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Just make sure you don't buy cheap heavy spacers and go for Eibach or similar. They'll cost you more but they'll be properly constructed and also light, reducing the additional strains on the hub/driveshafts etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

There's a Hilux around Drogheda that has rather obvious spacers fitted. Must have spent a few euro on them, as the wheels are protruding quite a bit, but my anecdotal evidence is that if a spacer can support the weight of a Hilux, then it can support most cars without too much wear and tear (so long as you're somewhat responsible and not wreckless with them, of course).

If it's that obvious KKV then I reckon the chap has been messing with wheel offsets rather than spacers.
    If you can see it that easy with your eye he couldn't do it with a spacer as the original bolts would hardly have a thread left.

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    If it's that obvious KKV then I reckon the chap has been messing with wheel offsets rather than spacers.
    If you can see it that easy with your eye he couldn't do it with a spacer as the original bolts would hardly have a thread left.

Well the wheels protrude a good bit from the body. Easily 2 inches or more id say. You'd cop it driving down the road towards you. You'd almost notice the wheels before the jeep itself.

Can you not just buy longer bolts, no? and put massive spacers on?

Wheel offset sounds like a more permanent thing? And I know its an NCT fail for the wheels to protrude outside the arches, so im doubting he messes with it every year?

You could well be spot on, though, and definitely something to take into consideration. Sorry if im sending you into a death trap OP! :eek: :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

There's different types of spacers, which I don't think YB has taken into account.

There's extended bolt ones, where they come supplied with longer wheel bolts. You just put them on the hub and line all the holes up.

There's bolt-on ones, which have their own bolts, but you actually bolt these to the hub like you would with the wheel. They then have threaded holes in the right place for you to bolt the wheel on to the spacer. These are more safe IMO.

There's identical versions of both except for cars with studs.

Wheel offset is in relation to the wheels themselves. It's a measurement of where the hub meets the wheel.

tech-offset-image2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,585 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I use 16mm Hubcentric spacers on the rear of my car with longer bolts..
    Never had a problem with them.
    Rear wheels fill the arch much better now.
    Standard wheels / Suspension setup etc.

Advertisement