Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual immersion - should both elements be replaced?

Options
  • 12-06-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Woke up this morning and all the sockets were off / something had tripped the switch. I tried a few things and the immersion is causing the problem.

I have a dual immersion Gold Shield cylinder (see attached pic).

I believe the two elements are for day and nightsaver rates? Or is it that one element heats a little water (top) like "Sink" and the other (bottom) is if you need more hot water like a "Bath" setting?

I've contacted a few plumbers and have 2-3 quotes for getting this replaced. New element + fitting/labour for €90-100...does this seem reasonable?

One guy (plumber) I spoke to said he would replace both of them while he's at it for €140...as the other might go at anytime. Does this seem like a good idea....another plumber said he didn't see the need to replace an element that isn't broken. Do you agree?

The house is 6.5 years old and no element has ever been replaced.

Am I as well off to get them both done? Are these prices reasonable?

I know you have to be careful removing the elements and I hope whoever I hire will know this. Any other advice?

Lastly, can anyone recommend a reliable plumber in Galway city who knows what he's doing and has the right tools for the job?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Id just do the one. Its always the bottom one thats used far more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You have to drain the entire tank to get the bottom element out, seeing as they are both the same age, albeit the bottom one gets more use, for the sake of the price of a second element I would always do both at the same time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Make sure they completely drain the tank, the plumber that did mine left a bit in the tank and it flooded The hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I'd always advise on doing both but I see a lot of plumbers doing immersion s for 70 euro at th moment so perhaps your not getting a very good deal just a sense able deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Just before you replace anything or call out a plumber - there is a cut off switch (a small, almost hidden, pop out button under the big round plastic cover) Check that that hasn't popped - it happened on mine a few months back.
    I never even realised it was there untill it popped with a fairly loud bang late one night! I thought the element had blown, it also tripped the immersion trip switch and the main house trip switch. Turned them all back on at it's been fine ever since - it's also about 8 years old and had never done it before so i've no idea why it happened!

• Advertisement
Advertisement