Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMR immunity before pregnancy?

Options
  • 05-03-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I'm just looking for a little advice...
    I had blood tests done for a Fertility clinic in January before starting treatment, which shown NO immunity to MMR.
    (A blood test done last October showed low immunity but i was pregnant at the time... unfortunately MC in Nov)
    The Fertility clinic told me I needed the MMR before commencing any treatment. (PCO)

I got the MMR jab the next day and now have to wait 3months before TTC. My point is I was at the Dr last week and we did a test & it showed Low immunity again! 5 weeks after the jab! It looks like im one of the very few who dont seem to make the anitbodies.

My Dr said I could be getting the jab over and over & might not become immune. Im afraid the Fertility Clinic will tell me go away & get it again in April but then I'll have to wait ANOTHER 3 months before we could try to get pregnant :confused:

Im just wondering has anyone had any experience of this?

Ta! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GoerGirl

This happened to me also - after each pregnancy I was given the injection but then on subsequent pregnancies showed low immunity. They only mentioned Ruebella to me but assuming it the same thing.

Have you asked your doctor or fertility clinic their policy or protocol for this specific issue? It is quite rare so they may not have anything solid in place. You could discuss informed consent forms or something similar - good luck, its a tricky place to be in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Low immunity to rubella was picked up on my antenatal bloods so they gave me the MMR after I had megan (there is no individual vaccine for rubella hence the 3 in 1)

I've not had a test since, but as with all vaccinations, there are the small minority for whom the vaccine will not be effective. Maybe they might do another blood test to see if the levels have risen at all since you were last tested??

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Thanks goer & Crazy,

Its good to hear others experiences. Its just so frustrating having to wait and wait again. I understand the concern of having immunity to Rubella but I also want to try to conceive as soon as we can.

Typical. :(

I'll keep ye posted...

Thanks again :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had the vaccination when I was in my early 20's but it did not take - while I was sick in bed for the pregnancy with my son it was not nice when I was out of the house the odd time not knowing if someone was experiencing rubella and was a huge worry - after our son was born I got it done again and it was fine when I became pregnant again just over 5 months after the birth of our son.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

I was tested for rubella immunity at the begining of this pregnancy and it showed that I was immune to it. During the pregnancy (at about 20 wks) they re-ran the bloods and it turns out that I no longer have immunity to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I have ZERO immunity to Rubella
    This is despite having contracted it in-vitro when my mother was pregnant with me many moons ago
    And i got it again when I was about 7
    And I got the jab aged 12 at school
    And I got another jab after Katie was born 10 years ago

Surprise surprise when pregnant with Aisling the blood tests showed no immunity yet again
    I didn't bother getting the jab this time
    I'm one of those weird people that it just doesn't work for!

Skadi thats weird isnt it? Iv been told though that it is the 1st 3 months of pregnancy that is the dodgy time to contract rubella, after that I think the baby is safer tk god.

Angelfire what did the Doctors say each time? Were they trying to get you to have the jab again and again? Were you a nervous wreak while pregnant incase you came in contact with someone?

My Doctor told me I probably do have some small immunity just not a enough to show up on a test.

Im just concerned that they keep asking for the jab again until I become immune, by which time a whole other year may pass :( and we come to the same conclusion that Im one of the random few who dont make anitbodies!

Sooo frustrating.

Tks for the info everyone, its all very welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm not imune too, despite haing had about 4 rubella shots. After my last pregnancy 24 years ago, they teste me again and still no immunity. I suppose we are the exception to the rule and that is why herd immunity is so important. For the sake of the people who an't have vaccines, the ones who can, must.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Quins5 wrote: »
    Angelfire what did the Doctors say each time? Were they trying to get you to have the jab again and again? Were you a nervous wreak while pregnant incase you came in contact with someone?

The doctors have pretty much accepted that i cannot be immunised against Rubella, though it hasn't stopped them "encouraging" me to get the jab again and again :)
    To be honest it was never something that I worried about while I was pregnant
    If it happened it happened and stressing over it wasn't going to help anyone

I know that may seem to be a rather blasé attitude and I am fully aware of the risks involved in contracting Rubella while pregnant but the actual chance of it happening to me is (I would imagine) fairly slim
    Particularly as it had happened to my mother fate could never be so cruel to hit both of us!

Thats amazing Angel that you've had so many jabs AND contracted rubella invitro and Still no immunity!

Im going to ring the Clinic tomorrow and ask whats the next step, if they say get it again it will mean another 12 weeks :(

fingers crossed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You could probably refuse it and continue treatment though? They can't force you into something you don't want to do.

BTW I have low immunity to Rubella also.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Low immunity to rubella was picked up on my antenatal bloods so they gave me the MMR after I had megan (there is no individual vaccine for rubella hence the 3 in 1)

There is an individual vaccine available for Rubella, it is called Rudivax (made by Sanofi-Aventis) however the problem may be in getting it in Ireland. It may have to be imported into the country, or alternatively be arranged to be given in UK, or possibly may be found in the North. However the strain of Rubella used in the Rudivax (RA27/3) is the same as is found in the MMR vaccine so a single vaccine may have no particular advantage.

Well I rang the Clinic today to ask 'whats next?' and told them my blood test showed low immunity 6 weeks after getting the MMR. They were really nice and said I must be one of the rare few who dont make antibodies and that she'll just check with the Dr and we should be good to go with clomid at the start of April :D

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Quinn

Do you mind me asking what levels were you at.

I too am in the same situation, i have had the injections 3 times now and my immunity is still low. My levels at the moment are 4.4, the nurse in surgery told me that it should be 15 so I am quiet worried about it, I am afraid that if I get pregnant do i have to go into hibernation for 4 months or if something happened then I would blame myself for not getting another injection.

I just feel at this stage I dont think I will ever be immune to it. We are due to go to the H1ri unit for a consulation soon, so not sure what the doctor will say.

Hi Ron
    I wasnt given a level I was just told i had low immunity (Fine in June, Low in Nov, No immunity in December, new jab in Jan, Low immunity in Feb)
    After extensive chats with GP Iv accepted Im one of the few who cant make antibodies.
    I know exactly how you feel about worrying about being pregnant and coming across someone with Rubella and blaming myself but theres nothing else I can do, if it doesnt take it doesnt take.
    Iv also spoken with the fertility clinic and they too have accepted that I could be getting the jab over and over with the same outcome each time and all the while wasting valuable TTC time. (12 week wait after each jab before trying to conceive!)
    Im looking forward to TTC this month Yiippppeeeee!
    I hope this helps :)

Advertisement