Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bukowski

Options
  • 24-09-2011 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Did a boards search before I posted this but nothing in a year plus.

Whats the opinion of Charles Bukowski, I'm re-reading his stuff after 10 years.
    Finding it bleak to say the least, I think I enjoyed it more the first time (was a teenager then).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I like his style of writing...it's kind of spontaneous, as if he made very little changes to it as he wrote each page.

But yeah, some of it is kind of like the American Angela's Ashes. There aren't that many sympanthetic characters in Ham on Rye and it's supposed to be fairly autobiographical.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I've read Post Office, Women, Hollywood and flicked through some poetry collections and I never found it bleak. His character may be a down-and-out but he is so by choice and he has a sense of pride in being an outcast. Yes he shows disgust at pretty much everyone (Hollywood is a bit more cheerful because he wrote it after making some money), but I always got a sense of freedom in that. And his style of writing is very readable and there's a good dose of humour in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Bukowski seems to have a cultish following but I don't get it. There's a doc about him called Born Into This: he swears and drinks a lot while the crowd go wild. He clearly made for an alternative to dull serious poetry readings but apart from that he seems self-obsessed with the idea of being a drunk writer rather than simply getting on with being both.

Hollywood was so so - I'd reach for Hubert Selby Jr instead.

Sorry for dampening your thread...may it blossom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

''as the poems go into the thousands you
    realize that you've created very
    little.''

My favourite couple of lines in all his work :)

I like the unlikeableness (is that a word?) of his characters, its an antidote to the plethora of stereotypes available in almost all fiction.

edit: Unlikeability! How could I forget that!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ArticHare

Giselle wrote: »
    I like the unlikeableness (is that a word?) of his characters

I know what you're saying! They're likeable in a way because you know whats going on in their heads and they're amusing, yet incredibly unlikeable in their actions. This is a lot like John Fante's (who Bukowski loved) Bandini characters, books I'd recommend to anyone who liked Bukowski.

Bukowski himself doesn't seem like he was a very nice man, so I've ignored this :) I've read post office, factotum, women and pulp, and enjoyed them all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I really liked Factotum and Post Office. Anyone seen the film of Factotum? I haven't, but I saw Barfly, which starred Mickey Rourke, years ago. It wasn't great...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnmcagney

I read Ham on Rye recently and I thought it was hilarious and tragic. I don't like his interviews too much cause he won't reveal himself. But in Ham and Rye, underneath the belly laughs and the tough-man stuff, the tragedy is there. It is most acute at the end of the novel when the war begins and all his grown peers go to enlist but Henry plays in an arcade with a young boy before slouching off to get drunk.... There is just some kind of honesty here that is so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

I've loved Bukowski for years.
    Have any of you Bukowski fans tried any of the John Fante books? Well worth a read. I believe Bukowski himself was a big fan.
    Wait Until Spring, Bandini and Ask the Dust are the two that I've read over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

*bump*

:)

Bought Post Office recently and am half way through it. Easy enough to read, but I'm hoping in the second half it turns into something more than a series of slightly amusing postman stories.

Just finished watching the docco Born Into This (mentioned earlier). Worth a watch, obviously a very tormented man.

Have been flicking through his poetry too. I like some of it, e.g.:
    Oh Yes

there are worse things than
    being alone
    but it often takes decades
    to realize this
    and most often
    when you do
    it's too late
    and there's nothing worse
    than
    too late.

Charles Bukowski

and
    the crunch

too much too little

too fat
    too thin
    or nobody.

laughter or
    tears

haters
    lovers

strangers with faces like
    the backs of
    thumb tacks

armies running through
    streets of blood
    waving winebottles
    bayoneting and ****ing
    virgins.

an old guy in a cheap room
    with a photograph of M. Monroe.

there is a loneliness in this world so great
    that you can see it in the slow movement of
    the hands of a clock

people so tired
    mutilated
    either by love or no love.

people just are not good to each other
    one on one.

the rich are not good to the rich
    the poor are not good to the poor.

we are afraid.

our educational system tells us
    that we can all be
    big-ass winners

it hasn't told us
    about the gutters
    or the suicides.

or the terror of one person
    aching in one place
    alone

untouched
    unspoken to

watering a plant.

people are not good to each other.

I suppose they never will be.
    I don't ask them to be.

but sometimes I think about
    it.

the beads will swing
    the clouds will cloud
    and the killer will behead the child
    like taking a bite out of an ice cream cone.

too much
    too little

too fat
    too thin
    or nobody

more haters than lovers.

perhaps if they were
    our deaths would not be so sad.

meanwhile I look at young girls
    stems
    flowers of chance.

there must be a way.

surely there must be a way that we have not yet
    thought of.

who put this brain inside of me?

it cries
    it demands
    it says that there is a chance.

it will not say
    "no."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm hoping in the second half it turns into something more than a series of slightly amusing postman stories.

I've read all of his novels except Hollywood, and the only one with a really traceable plot is Pulp. The rest of his stuff follows the Post Office template (although Ham on Rye is a little more focused). But that's just his style.
    Dave! wrote: »
    Have been flicking through his poetry too. I like some of it

Bukowski's poetry is the source of one of his major contradictions. He railed against the pretentiousness of literature, yet:

his poetry
    always
    appears in
    that
    broken style

that
    the beat generation
    writers
    were fixated on

but which
    meant
    nothing

except
    self indulgence

and
    pretentiousness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

One of my favorite writers of all time. There is something honest in the tragedy of his characters. Bukowski cuts to the bone of society and it's pretensions, and while some of his books feel a tad redundant, his portrayal of men (biographical and not) both crude and clever, never fails to find the humor in life as well. Reading Come On In. Book of poems he left to be published after his death. Brilliant as ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

I looove Bukowski's poetry...very simple, very plain, very effective. I haven't read some in a long time, but thanks, I shall be digging out my battered old copies this week...'Freedom' was always one of my favourites, probably because of its simple, unaffected shocking-ness

he drank wine all night of the
    28th, and he kept thinking of her:
    the way she walked and talked and loved
    the way she told him things that seemed true
    but were not, and he knew the color of each
    of her dresses
    and her shoes-he knew the stock and curve of
    each heel
    as well as the leg shaped by it.

and she was out again and when he came home,and
    she'd come back with that special stink again,
    and she did
    she came in at 3 a.m in the morning
    filthy like a dung eating swine
    and
    he took out a butchers knife
    and she screamed
    backing into the rooming house wall
    still pretty somehow
    in spite of love's reek
    and he finished the glass of wine.

that yellow dress
    his favorite
    and she screamed again.

and he took up the knife
    and unhooked his belt
    and tore away the cloth before her
    and cut off his balls.

and carried them in his hands
    like apricots
    and flushed them down the
    toilet bowl
    and she kept screaming
    as the room became red

GOD O GOD!
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

and he sat there holding 3 towels
    between his legs
    no caring now whether she left or
    stayed
    wore yellow or green or
    anything at all.

and one hand holding and one hand
    lifting he poured
    another wine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I read Factotum when I was a teenager and really enjoyed it. Not so much when I tried it again recently which was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Bukowski's poetry is the source of one of his major contradictions.

I disagree. I think the layout of the poems lends them a rhythm they wouldn't quite have otherwise and he lays them out well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I disagree. I think the layout of the poems lends them a rhythm they wouldn't quite have otherwise and he lays them out well.

I came across one or two before that were laid out like a staircase, with the words descending down the page. That's just silly. It signifies nothing except that author's self-indulgence. But that's just my opinion. If it adds something for you then great, I'm happy to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

His poetry for me was always the least gripping, his short stories can be perfect or not but always funny, tragic or entertaining.
    The novels are basically extensions of his short stories, Ham on Rye is his masterpiece. I love Bukowski.

Finished Post Office the other day. A good read, solid enough but didn't exactly blow me away.

I bought Ham on Rye, but am reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas first.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

david75 wrote: »
    I read Factotum when I was a teenager and really enjoyed it. Not so much when I tried it again recently which was weird.

That's not weird at all. Lots of people enjoy him in their teens because he's 'cool'. He drinks like an aquarium; takes drugs and engages in spontaneous composition. Very cool really.

When you get a bit older and have read a lot more he's not so interesting.
    Tons of better stuff out there to read imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 debaser13

nobody can name a book like him (love is a dog from hell, or, what matters most is how well you walk through the fire). And also so many of his poems are heavy going, all about beating women, vomiting, fighting, getting fired and suicide but he often ends them with the most amazing little insights eg angels we have grown apart, or, screaming because the world had failed us both.
    Of course there are better poets out there but i'll always read him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tall Saint

I read Post Office last year. It was my first time reading Bukowski and although I really liked it, I was left with the feeling that it kind of lacked something. What book his should I try next? Ham On Rye I guess? I was very much aware of his cult following and his reputation beforehand, so maybe that's what raised my expectations first time 'round.

Fans of his might also enjoy Denis Johnson. I've enjoyed quite a few of his books.

• Advertisement

Tall Saint wrote: »
    I read Post Office last year. It was my first time reading Bukowski and although I really liked it, I was left with the feeling that it kind of lacked something. What book his should I try next? Ham On Rye I guess? I was very much aware of his cult following and his reputation beforehand, so maybe that's what raised my expectations first time 'round.

Fans of his might also enjoy Denis Johnson. I've enjoyed quite a few of his books.
    I read 'Post Office' followed by 'Ham on Rye', neither of which blew me away. I was a bit disappointed really - didn't find the stories particularly compelling, and the language/writing wasn't particularly enjoyable or attractive. I'm not much of a literary critic, but for me if a book is lacking in one of those areas, then it had better make up for it in the other area!

Given that those are probably his most accomplished/acclaimed novels, I'm not really inclined to read any more. I still enjoy some of his poetry, and I need to read more of his columns, because I enjoyed the ones that I have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tall Saint

Ya I see what you mean about either the storyline or the writing needing to reach the mark. I think I'll give Ham On Rye a read at some point. I haven't read any of his poetry collections either, except for a few online, but I also have the feeling I would enjoy it more. Maybe it's just a better format for his ideas, considering the weak points previously discussed.

I also completely agree with Debaser13 on the titles thing, he knows how to name a book!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'd put Bukowski in the Kerouac category - of those writers that people tend to name drop in an effort to make them look cool, when the fact is, they were both a bit shyte, and completely overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Lexe

I like Bukowski for what he is - I don't think there's any pretension there at all - I believe most of his writing is autobiographical. From reading Ham On Rye it seems that by the age of 17 or so Bukowski resigned himself to the fact that he wouldn't amount to much because he simply didn't care- I think that it's really tragic and he suffered a lot. In ways he doesn't seem to like himself much and perhaps writing was his only salvation. The characters are not very likable and the stories sometimes drag because he was a depressed alcoholic but for me it was interesting to read- and I particularly love the poem A Smile to Remember because it evoked real sadness in me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

A great writer of great books. A source of laugh-out-loud hilarity for me over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Just reading the collection of Buckowskis letters on writing, at the moment.

Great insight into the man.

Highlight so far is the letter to Anthony Linick, 22 April 1959. It is just dripping with sarcasm, very funny. It goes on to cite a list of writers Buckowski considers above the constraints of grammar, Hemmingway Stein etc, but he puts Joyce top of the list.

Advertisement