Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Tutor for 8yr Old - Video Games

Options
  • 02-05-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am seeking a tutor to teach my 8 yr old how to develop simple video games. Based in Rathfarnham. Good hourly rate. Email graham@byrne.net if interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hi Graham,

You could bring him to the coder dojo every saturday morning for free if you like which would help him to start learning?

Failing that, I would suggest posting this in the DIT/Trinity forum as the games students there would probably appreciate the extra income :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi Graham,

Can you give more details about exactly what you want him to learn?

I'm a student based in churchtown and interested.

ED E.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GBDublin14

Just a basic grounding in whatever tools you feel are best for a complete beginner to learn gaming. Sorry to be vague but I'm not familiar with what tools are popular or suitable. I have the tools Coder Dojo suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

use scratch , very good for kids , you use building block to make things work,you can do very good 2d games

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

What do you think interests him most about game development? The maths side, art, or game design? If he wants to make a career out of it I would suggest steering him towards the maths side, and really making sure he works on his maths all the way through school. Not enough job stability in the art sector. If he has a PS3 you should pick up the littlebigplanet games for him, great way to get him prototyping gameplay because they have very cool editors built in, particularly littlebigplanet2.

If he does want to go the art side, or dabble in it, which isn't a bad thing, there is an open source (free) 3D program called Blender. It is an amazing piece of software, and it even has its own game engine too. You can download it from Blender.org, and if you're interested I could get a list of some good free tutorial sites for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 GBDublin14

Andy,

Thats great feedback. Thank you.

G

Advertisement