Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IndyCar 2014

• 15-03-2014 1:39pm

So new title sponsor Verizon. Sounds like a big step-up, wonder if they can continue that momentum.

The schedule looks decent this season in terms of circuits, but the fast that it's only lasting 5 months seems odd to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

So new title sponsor Verizon. Sounds like a big step-up, wonder if they can continue that momentum.

The schedule looks decent this season in terms of circuits, but the fast that it's only lasting 5 months seems odd to me.

I thought they would have learned from the 2012 season which finished in September , alas...

Notto sure if ESPN have coverage this season, looking forward to seeing JP Montoya in the Penske, Will Power should be up there while Seabass might be a surprise at KV if they can engineer a decent car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Forgot to put up some photos from Fontana last year. Seems so long ago.

Heres a link to the folder. Way too many to import.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3s3npktz31wcilb/jYvUT1wrc9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

25 to go at St. Pete.

Sato started on pole after a mixed weather quali session. Montoya started 18th out of 22.

Just had an interesting incident on an attempt at restarting the race after the first caution just there. Green flag was thrown before the acceleration zone and guys behind (single file restarts now, btw) accelerated early and accordioned up.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    25 to go at St. Pete.

Sato started on pole after a mixed weather quali session. Montoya started 18th out of 22.

Just had an interesting incident on an attempt at restarting the race after the first caution just there. Green flag was thrown before the acceleration zone and guys behind (single file restarts now, btw) accelerated early and accordioned up.

Commentators seemed very eager to blame Will Power and ignoring the rookie, Hawksworth,error behind him, commentary are very poor in my opinion

It's ESPN, they're always terrible. But you have to bear with it, because at least their races go on network TV in the States.

• Advertisement

Helio just called Mr Power a wankxx on live TV ! When asked about the restarts, for the record Will said that he did not brake but did lift off as there was confusin about the zone and the green flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I love how they(the commentators) completely miss the point of the blue flags and Saavedra waving his fist at the Russian fella for holding up the leaders behind., Is the blue flag not abided by nowadays, i thought you got a penalty if you dont respect 2 or 3?

TK did well considering his knob fell off.

My view on the restart, Power was within his right but i think he was way too slow and the combination of the radio saying 'go' before the flag drop caused the wrecks.

Conway wins Long Beach. Dixon pitted from the lead with 2 to go after trying to stretch the fuel.

Big smash on Lap 55, RHR made a bone-head move trying to overtake Newgarden after Josef just came out of the pits ahead of them (in the effective race lead), and caused a huge track blocking pile-up.

Conway wins Long Beach. Dixon pitted from the lead with 2 to go after trying to stretch the fuel.

Big smash on Lap 55, RHR made a bone-head move trying to overtake Newgarden after Josef just came out of the pits ahead of them (in the effective race lead), and caused a huge track blocking pile-up.

Scott Dixons move on Justin Wilson was dangerous - surprised there was no penalty

Barber broadcast started: http://www.justin.tv/besweeet65

Weather was fine over the weekend, but now the rain has come in and it might be a completely wet race. Green flag at the top of the hour.

• Advertisement

Barber broadcast started: http://www.justin.tv/besweeet65

Weather was fine over the weekend, but now the rain has come in and it might be a completely wet race. Green flag at the top of the hour.

Race delayed due to the heavy rain

Infoanon wrote: »
    Race delayed due to the heavy rain

Finally the race is on, puddles from heavy rain caused a long delay, timed race 1 hour 40 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

1st time watching Indy Car this year. The amount of ad breaks is ridiculous and off putting in relation to watching future races

The amount of ad breaks on the American broadcasts is annoyingly high; but if you're able to watch on BT Sport/ESPN, the level of ads are generally much less.

The amount of ad breaks on the American broadcasts is annoyingly high; but if you're able to watch on BT Sport/ESPN, the level of ads are generally much less.

Massive crash at the start of the Indy road race, Saveedra stalled on pole, Munoz hit him before Aleshin ploughed into the back of Saveedra.

Thankfully all unhurt.

Munoz seemed a bit unsighted, but still should have been told by his spotter to stay right. Mikhail just ploughed right in though.

Conway in the garage, he damaged the right rear suspension off the pit wall while dodging the stranded Seb.

Holy **** Plowey.

Franck really wanted to get back to the pits, but I guess wasn't aware he had no engine cover left!

Marco Andretti has tweeted in the last few minutes that team mate James Hinchcliffe has been released from hospital.

Earlier Hinch was seen pulling off the circuit and been brought to hospital for an unspecified injury,

Early reports suggest that Hinch may have been hit by some debris.(Concussion confirmed by Indycar officials)

Regarding todays race - exciting at the end but some seriously bad driving by some, race control needs to take some firm action.

The biggest race in the world is next - the Indy 500 !

Kurt Busch showing a lot of speed in early Indy 500 testing, qualifying this weekend.

Day one of Indy 500 quali underway.

• Advertisement

This year's Freedom 100 finish:

BoVjIq5IQAADw17.jpg

Indy 500 TV broadcast begins. Stream.

Streams only today is it?

BT Sport 2 will start their broadcast at half.

EDIT: Apparently BT Sport are already broadcasting.

BT don't count. :pac:

Watching without sound right now, the video package with the gimp was eh, interesting. :P

That Aleshin lad seems to have really good fuel economy, would be great if he could turn it into a good result.

That Aleshin lad seems to have really good fuel economy, would be great if he could turn it into a good result.

Way to jinx him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,386 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Good to see Montoya in good position

Bit freaky not to get any yellows... yet

• Advertisement

Good to see Montoya in good position

More jinxing... :(

Power and JPM were looking great til the SC. Could still come back to them.

149 laps complete, first caution.

Missed the first caution, but there've been plenty since

Right call on the red flag I'd say, awful lot of debris.

I guess would be good to get a racing finish, hopeful no more caution

• Advertisement

What a brilliant finish to the Indy 500 - awesome racing.

F1 could learn a lot from Indy - a red flag called to ensure the fans saw a race to the finish line and not a parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

F1 could learn a lot from Indy - a red flag called to ensure the fans saw a race to the finish line and not a parade.

Either red flag or the NASCAR green-white-checkered system is the way to go. Nobody ever wants to see a race finish under caution.

Really great finish to the 500; was hoping Helio would hold on but fair play to Hunter-Reay.

Sixth place for Kurt Busch. And the green flag for the second part of his Double in just over two hours in Charlotte.

/me runs to the NASCAR thread

I'd hate if F1 had US style cautions, plus with no refueling you couldn't reall have extra laps

Very few F1 races finish under yellow anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I'd hate if F1 had US style cautions, plus with no refueling you couldn't reall have extra laps

Its fine for oval racing because the laps are a lot shorter than F1 tracks tend to be. Full course cautions are a lot more tedious on road courses.

• Advertisement

Very few F1 races finish under yellow anyway?

Imagine if a safety car had been sent out when Esteban had crashed - what a close finish we would have had then !

Gutted that Montoya and Will Power got caught out speeding in the pitlane and it looks like something broke on Townsends car, though he was partly responsible for Eds crash ! but the quickest driver won on the day.

Watched on BT , the anchor was very poor and they ignored the American post race coverage which is normally excellent -so eg I had to read about Helio sitting in his car for an age after the race - one week to the double header at Detroit !

It just seems a bit artificial to me at times, was no need for it today when Esteban crashed, could have cost Marussia their points if the field had closed up, would have given Hamilton a break from pushing with his one eye, it forces every one to pit and be on the same strategy. Sometimes it can help a race sometimes but it can neutralise a race.

One thing I would change is the waiting for cars to get back on lead lap, would be better to send them backward and restart quicker

It just seems a bit artificial to me at times, was no need for it today when Esteban crashed, could have cost Marussia their points if the field had closed up, would have given Hamilton a break from pushing with his one eye, it forces every one to pit and be on the same strategy. Sometimes it can help a race sometimes but it can neutralise a race.

One thing I would change is the waiting for cars to get back on lead lap, would be better to send them backward and restart quicker

You could argue that there was a need today as Marshals had to cross a live circuit - the artificial arguement fails when you consider 'double points' ..., though I see your point.

I'd just let them pass at the start of a lap, even if they haven't quite caught up by the green flag they will very soon afterwards as the rest of the field ahead of them spreads out. It also means they get their lap back but not the advantage of closing right up on whoever was ahead of them at the time.

You could argue that there was a need today as Marshals had to cross a live circuit - the artificial arguement fails when you consider 'double points' ..., though I see your point.

I didn't think they had to cross the track... looked like the marshals came out from pit side and presumed they brought car into pit side (wasn't clear on tv though). You might be right in which case I would agree

I didn't think they had to cross the track... looked like the marshals came out from pit side and presumed they brought car into pit side (wasn't clear on tv though). You might be right in which case I would agree

You could be right, though that mean approaching a blind corner, getting back to the point, in Indycar that would be a safety car - that would have given the viewers and spectators a much better finish/tighter finish.
    Indycar and Nascar are very viewer/spectator friendly, something that F1 fails at time and again.

You could be right, though that mean approaching a blind corner, getting back to the point, in Indycar that would be a safety car - that would have given the viewers and spectators a much better finish/tighter finish.
    Indycar and Nascar are very viewer/spectator friendly, something that F1 fails at time and again.

It would have ruined race the f1 race for me today if safety car appeared when there were engine blow ups or cars got stuck on barrier, we could have had 4 or 5 safety cars and very different stop start type of race.

Not that I don't like when a safety car closes up the gap to leader and gives a good finish to a race, it's nice when it happens an odd time but would enjoy it less if it was happening every second race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Helmet cams are the coolest thing ever. What circuit is that?

Zcott wrote: »
    What circuit is that?

Belle Isle in Detroit:
    500px-Detroit_Grand_Prix_on_Belle_Isle_1998-2001.svg.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement