Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Spinal Fusion - A little run through!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭apache

teeke sorry to hear about your situation. god do i know all about that!
    you are in a tricky situation with the medical cover. i was blessed that everything was covered.

best advice i can give you is hang on until you see the consultant. when are you seeing him/her? you can always worry about shortfall on operation after you have a proper diagnosis. i'd be wary of going to physio before all your results are out. its best to go to them after a diagnosis has been made and now you have the scan results so you know what you're dealing with.

i know a lot of things can swarm around in your head at a time like this but just take it step by step. wait and see the consultant and after talking to you and studying the scans you will have a much clearer idea of what to deal with. i don't think you are covered for consultant appointments anyway so you would have to pay that so it dosen't matter really who you go to moneywise. they can always refer you to one of their colleagues. they all know eachother and often have overlapping patients through referrel etc

i hope you aren't waiting long for the appointment (i found its only a matter of a week or two unless they are swamped) as all your questions will be answered and you will have a much clearer idea.

as for people opting out of back surgery its really a matter of choice and how bad you are and feel. once you have back surgery the general consensus is there will be trouble down the line and sometimes (like my first one) it dosen't work. its all to do with personal choice down the line and informed decision. i wouldn't listen to what people say - people say a lot but as long as you make an informed decision (and it sounds like you have researched it properly) and weigh up the pros and cons it will become clear.

i wish you all the best with your appointment. who knows yet what will be done ie discectomy or something totally different? doubt it will be a fusion as thats the last resort after they try discectomys and other procedures.
    so please try and not worry - i know easier said than done. but now you are on the road to investigating what can be done to ease your pain and that can only be a good thing.
    ps hope you get a nice consultant!

back in work since monday. all going well. have a nice job for a month or two until i get back into the swing of things. no stress. no pressure. a blissful job.

still a lot of pain in my upper back where i fell but i'm hoping its only a sprain or soft tissue injury and will go in time. apart from that the fusion site is grand. my next xray and consult is in april so you never know i could be fused by then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

@ Teeke - having been through the mill with back stuff (L3 -S1 and C5 - C7 fused) Apache is right in saying see the consultant as soon as you can and then make your decisions.

Good luck with it as well.

@Apache

Nice one and glad to see things are going okay :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Teeke wrote: »
    Hi Apache,

I've been reading all your posts on your back over the last week and they've been of great help, so happy to hear you are pain free and on the mend.

I had a mri last week that show a damaged L4-L5 and herniated L5-S1, I've had sciatica on and off since I was 12, (I'm 26 now),but since a flair up in November its taken over my life.
    I have not physically been able to sit right since before christmas. I have had to cut back on work to one shift a week where I can only stand. I can't sit on the bus or the train and it all got on top of me. I got really down about it.

I saw a physio who said I should see a doctor and get a scan, he had told me if I kept stretching that maybe in a year or two I could sit again, this broke my heart. So I saw a doctor, got a scan, surgery was mentioned after the results and am waiting to see a consultant. Organizing that was tough, the one I am being sent to is not fully covered by aviva so if I do get surgery I will have to pay the excess which would be around a grand or more. I was told to find a consultant myself who was fully covered but this involved google-ing which I dont think is the way to do things.
    Anyway I can get a loan if I need to pay the excess and am just going to stick on the path the experienced doctor has put me on.

I know they say bed rest is bad for a herniated disc, but I don't know what else to do bar occassionaly walks/swim. I am in part time college so I have just spent everyday lying in bed studying. Although the pain is distracting so its tough. For a few days I just felt so sorry for myself and hid under the covers. But I'm not dying so I needed to toughen up, I go for short walks but the pain down my leg is doing my head in. Its started going down my right leg now too and I get bursts of a stabbing pain and pins and needles in my feet.

Sometimes after lying down for a day I feel ok and think sure I'm grand now, but as soon as I sit for more than 10 seconds its back with a vengence. I've avoided painkillers, I have tried them all but nothing really made a difference and I have had bad reactions mentally to prescription drugs in the past, so I'm sticking it out by avoiding the situations that cause the worst pain..ie sitting!

I am not opposed to surgery I know someone who had a successful discectomy and I'm trying to understand why so many people just straight out say that they wouldn't get surgery?

ozone therapy was mentioned too but I can't find any reference to it being used in Dublin. Has anyone got this done?
    95% success rate, no side effects, i think the oxygen shrinks the herniated disc by absorbing up the water in the disc.. but you're not supposed to bend or sit for 6 weeks afterwards. Not much of a difference to my life now!

Anyway sorry for the long post I guess I just needed to get all this out! Hoping the consultant is one who will listen and not rush me out, going insane waiting for calls/results/just to be able to sit.

God when I'm better I'm just gonna go sit everywhere! Cinema, restaurants, library, bus, train, cannot wait!!!!!!

I had ozone discectomy done last year in cappagh. Didn't work for me as I had my damaged disc for over 18 months at that stage and it had dried out at that stage so nothing for the ozone to work with. The success rate is so high you'd be mad not to do it. Very easy procedure for the patient, no pain just need proper bedrest after, seriously!
    I'm nearly 3 years from when I injured it and eventually it seems to be settling or maybe I'm just getting use to the pain. I no longer take daily meds only when I need but my stomach has suffered even though I had tablets for that. I've come to the realisation I'll never play sport or run or cycle again...a tough one to cope with when you've 2 kids under 4 but we all need to be strong!

Delighted you're doing so well apache :) it's a great motivator for the rest of us to hear the good sides of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Teeke

Hi all thanks for your replies. I wanted to wait til I had news before I posted.

I went to a well respected consultant for the herniated disc, he recommended microdiscectomy, epidurals would only help short term and at the time I dismissed decompression injections because it was only briefly mentioned. He was amazing and very nice. So I was all set for the surgery but as he wasn't fully covered by my insurance he referred me to his partner surgeon who after research I discovered was classed as "the best in the country" and I wouldn't have to pay for the operation.
    So I counted down the 30 days til I got to see the second fella, I was so excited but alas it was not to be. He was honest, frank but well mannered but didn't say what I expected. He said as it was a central bulge he was wary of operating as the success rate is 50-70% compared to 95% with a side bulge. That I was more of a candidate for spinal fusion and that I could end up having to get that afterwards and the more we talked the more I knew he didn't want to operate. He recommended epidurals and pilates.
    My heart sank and I tried not to cry, the constant sciatica and lower back pain is torture, its gone on too long, I wanted the "quick fix" even if its actually taken a long time to get here. I've spent nearly €1000 now on just seeing people for this, physios, GPs, consultants, and now I find I'm back at square one "googling" treatments.
    I respect his opinion, he operates on a high number of people, he's one of the best and he knows what he's talking about. I'm just surprised everyone else said go for surgery. I have researched epidurals and I don't want it. When a doctor tells you something is going to be painful then you know its going to kill. But not just that, I don't want hormones injected into me, I don't want short term pain relief, I want the problem fixed. The issue now is that this consultant thinks it may not be the bulging disc because its central, that it could be inflammation or something else. So I feel a bit at a loss now. I left disheartened and told him I'd call him next week.

A GP had mentioned ozone therapy before and thanks Lafors, I am glad to hear someone has gotten it in Dublin. I have tried to get onto that GP but he never calls back so I'm just waiting.
    I'm trying to figure out is Ozone therapy disc decompression or disc nucleoplasty. Its just all so frustrating in this day and age, with the money spent and the highly respected people I've seen to be stuck at home in pain on google.
    And I know core strength is important but if one more person says to me about pilates Im going to scream! I think when your injured, when you have a damaged disc and a highly herniated disc the muscles are inflammed and pilates will be working on the wrong muscles, i think its great in recovery but not now.
    Im just so fed.up! Although maybe its for the best not getting surgery, just it all feels soooo long winded

Thats not good news Teeke - so presumably your back to square one again. Did the consultant explain why he didnt want to operate - given the choice opt for the fusion if you can. As for Pilates I am with you tried it (not a pretty site trust me) and to be honest wont go back again.

Hang in there!

Thought I'd give an update as I had my final consult and x-ray on Friday. I am delighted to say I have a full fusion and no pain. I have been discharged.

Its like a second chance to enjoy life again. I have full range of movement and no more incessent pain that used to make life a nightmare.

Theres nothing really I can't do. I have still a bit of numbness and tightness but nothing major. I had a rough long time coming off the opiates and muscle relaxants as I was on them for such a long long time and depression set it but I'm over all that and so glad not to be taking any drugs and feel happy and healthy again and grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Wahooo Apache !!! thats great news. So, are you back to 'full' duties or still on 'light' ??

Brillant apache so pleased for you!!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

Just waiting on consultants final report which will be sent to me as work want to see it before I go back to full duties which I can understand as they have to cover themselves.

Hope you two are recovering well after your procedures?

Hi apache, doing well after recent op, surgeon described my sciatic nerve as being the 'ham' in a sandwich ! I had a cyst on one side and a bulging disc on the other ! so he sorted that out, am 95% better with the odd twinge and now back walking, he still thinks I'm heading in the direction of a fusion but we'll tackle that issue if/when it arrives.

Its great reading your posts that you are now getting back on your feet in more ways that one !

That's great news spook. oh to be pain free it seems unimaginable!
    my doc said the same about heading for a fusion. im supposed to be trying the epidural tomorrow but (sorry men) my period is late - most likely due to all the anxiety over this, ill be honest i cried myself to sleep thinking about a needle going in my back because its so inflamed at the moment, anyway hospital policy is they won't do it unless its up to day 10, even though i know for a fact im not pregnant. so now rescheduling more waiting and all while im doing trials for jobs where i don't have to sit down :)
    so so happy to hear you all doing so well, definitely an encouragement

Goodness Teeke, you really seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Thats a pain (sorry, no pun intended !) having to reschedule your epidural.....yep...they're sore ! and no, they didnt work for me....goodness not being much help here.......just wondering is it worth your while ringing/faxing/emailing the surgeon that said he would operate but wasnt fully covered by your insurance to update him on your situation and to see if he has any ideas ? I seem to have been lucky with Paraic O'Neill, I know he can be a bit quirky but I got on ok with him and he's sorted me out.

Thanks spook. Cant believe its been a month since Iwas on here last. Apache how are you feeling?
    I actually ended up having the epidural 3weeks ago they were great in the mater and squeezed me in. But it was horrible, I think they hit the nerve because the pain was unreal and I burst into tears. Anyway no relief after, I felt like my back was so weak the week after that it would snap at any moment. Ive been getting physio a few times a week through the aviva back up plan which has been a great help and the staff were very understanding. But nothing had changed really, the sciatica have eased slightly but I have new numbness, at times only walking on my toes or dead legs which has frightened me. The surgeon now said he will do the microdiscectomy if I want it. I would rather try it before fusion. Ive adapted my life to this now but I think im young enough to heal fast and prefer to get this sorted before babies come along.
    Should really avoid youtube videos and diaries, worried now that they use a cattather or is that just in the states or when you've lost control of bladder function, or if il be in a brace. Kind of thought you just had to takr it easy but that you go in get knocked out wake up a bit sore with no tubes for peeing and go home! Much prefer reading dublin peoples experiences to be honest seeing as were probably meeting the same surgeons!
    Anyway I said id look it over and hopefully if I go for it I can have it in june or july, thy really didnt like when I said I couldnt walk on the balls of my feet so maybw theyll try get me in quicker. General antisthetic terrifies me, watched too many scary youtube vids.
    Hope everyone is feeling ok, for me 8months of going around in circles might be at an end so staying positive!

Teeke....you poor thing ! I have had both my microdiskectomies & cyst removal done in the Mater Private and my surgeon was Paraic O'Neill. I will tell you my experiences but everyone is different and every surgeon is different.

I was admitted on the Sunday evening, routine bloods & urine tests done and also met with the Anaesthetist (lady one which was nice). Monday morning, I was sent to the x-ray dept at 7.30am for what they call 'back markings', not very nice but only lasts 5 mins, they inject dye into the area around the disc. Back to the ward, and then was called to theatre at 9am. The general anaesthetic didnt really bother me as the pain/numbness was so bad. I woke up and realised instantly that I had had a little accident but the nurses were fab and said it was normal, but I never at any stage had a catheter or a brace. Rest of that day was grand, and the kids & hubby came in at 6pm for a chat and I was fairly comfortable. The Tuesday morning was very tough as the pain was very intense but the neurosurgeon said that often the nerve swells and not to worry, physio came and got me out of bed and went for a little walk. Wednesday - pain was still intense but ok and I was home on the thursday, walking completely unaided. The following two weeks was still tough but by week 3 the pain was subsiding and by the 4 week check up I was about 90% pain free. Would I do it again if the pain & numbness returned...absolutely without hesitation....hope this helps a bit

• Advertisement

Hey Teeke. Like spook said you won't have the need for a catheter for a micro discectomy. Well i didn't have one for that but for the fusion i did as its obviously more painful.
    They will have you up the next day walking with physio. Best of luck. Hope it all goes well.

I am pain free and back to work on full duties. Long may it last :)

P.S. If you search for "back surgery" there is a thread there that you might find useful. M.D.s are discussed there.

apache - thats great news to hear. Glad it all worked out.

Got signed off myself last week both two level neck fusion and three level lumbar fusion have taken, will need more surgery in years to come but will worry about that later.

Thanks Jdee.

Good to hear all is well with you. Best to take each day as it comes regarding more ops down the line.

Happy to say I am a week post-op. I avoided the fusion and got the micro-discectomy. I was surprised how much pain I was in after the op, especially when I got home and the drugs wore off. I felt a lift in the leg pain but my lower back felt battered. But everyday is much better than the last and Im shocked how much the wound has healed up already. Im doing 3 short walks a day, each day I go a bit further, legs ache and have some random pains but I expect this for a few weeks. On a super healthy diet which is helping and trying to keep my mind positive. I guess I didn't think too much how long recovery would take. I can sit for 1 or 2 minutes and there's no sign of pain. Starting to sleep now and off any medication at all. Have to take it easy but all looks promising. Thanks for all the advice and reading my moaning over the last few months!!

Nice one Teeke - it does get better every day!

• Advertisement

Super news Teeke....you're well on the way now, I took about 3 weeks to be 90% pain free. Thrilled to hear that you have avoided the fusion, long may that last !

Well I just thought I'd come back on here for an update because believe it or not tomorrow is my 1 year anniversary of my spinal fusion! I can't believe it!

I am still 100% glad I had it and I have had no problems with my back and do not attend anybody over it. Reminds me it would be nice to send my super consultant a thank you card on the year mark in.

I get a bit of pain from time to time - I reckon thats the cold wet weather - and I take an odd solpadeine for it.

I am not so naive to think all my problems are solved and in the future I will have no problems but for this moment in space of time all is good. I had problems with my mental state for quite a while during this process. It is a rollercoaster ride. Its hard to explain. (The drug dependance and withdrawel is not nice to say the least).

That is great news Apache - glad to hear everything is going along nicely. My fusion process is going alone really well at the moment. Playing 18 holes of golf 5 days a week and no adverse effects which is brilliant

So pleased for you!

apache wrote: »
    Well I just thought I'd come back on here for an update because believe it or not tomorrow is my 1 year anniversary of my spinal fusion! I can't believe it!

I am still 100% glad I had it and I have had no problems with my back and do not attend anybody over it. Reminds me it would be nice to send my super consultant a thank you card on the year mark in.

I get a bit of pain from time to time - I reckon thats the cold wet weather - and I take an odd solpadeine for it.

I am not so naive to think all my problems are solved and in the future I will have no problems but for this moment in space of time all is good. I had problems with my mental state for quite a while during this process. It is a rollercoaster ride. Its hard to explain. (The drug dependance and withdrawel is not nice to say the least).

OMG ! I cant believe its a year !!!! I'm thrilled life is so much better for you. I'm over 6 months now since my last microdiskectomy & cyst removal and doing well most of the time, still have the odd day when I get a bit of leg pain and I know just to take it easy for 24 hours. I've lost a stone since July so I'm hoping that will help as I know a fusion is the next op on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

apache wrote: »

Just posting to see how you are getting on these days & Also to say Many Thanks for commencing this thread.

I was thrown off my bike in November 2012 and now have this pars defect in lower spine. Last September after first set of scan results when I said no to all surgery options, even when I had my rock (my Dad who passed away last December); the NeuroSurgeon understood and left it.

This time round though avoiding the talk of surgery was not an option due to the severity of the bone fractures. I will have to have spinal surgery and your thread here has been very informative and drilled home that I am just not ready. Luckily I can wait until next-year but the longer I leave it, the greater the severity of the likes of Spinal Arthritis as one example (have a few more).

Anywhoo, Hope you are doing okay. This thread has been a real eye-opener with its' detail and honesty.

Thanking You,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Colxdark

Hi I was just wondering I have the same problem with my back I have had this problem since 2004-10 Years I Had a Lumbar Discectomy Done in 2006 to relieve my sciatica nerve it seem to work.The problem is I'm 40 years old now I am so scared of what the future has to hold for me because I'm in so much pain all the time I'm on patches for the pain I hate these painkillers I also had several injections in my spine and that didn't work I exercise all the time i keep moving walking but the pain is always there. By the way its my L4-L5 the doctors have talked about getting spinal fusion done but I am afraid what if it goes wrong Because they say once its done It cannot be undone.Thanks

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Just posting to see how you are getting on these days & Also to say Many Thanks for commencing this thread.

I was thrown off my bike in November 2012 and now have this pars defect in lower spine. Last September after first set of scan results when I said no to all surgery options, even when I had my rock (my Dad who passed away last December); the NeuroSurgeon understood and left it.

This time round though avoiding the talk of surgery was not an option due to the severity of the bone fractures. I will have to have spinal surgery and your thread here has been very informative and drilled home that I am just not ready. Luckily I can wait until next-year but the longer I leave it, the greater the severity of the likes of Spinal Arthritis as one example (have a few more).

Anywhoo, Hope you are doing okay. This thread has been a real eye-opener with its' detail and honesty.

Thanking You,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam I haven't logged into boards in ages and I apologise for missing your post. I just got your pm 7 months later!
    Thank you for your kind words.

First off very sorry to hear about your Dad. You need support at a time when you having big surgery and you were right to delay as positive attitude has a lot to do with recovery.

Have you gone any further with your surgery?

Its 3 years in November (I think?) since I had mine. I am 100% - just as good as I was before I had all my problems. Working away - arrears in mortgage gone. Have to say its a very stressful time but I've turned everything around and I'm so happy now.

If you are in a position to sort this out if you have not already done so do it as soon as you can. Sometimes the damage can not be repaired if you leave it too long.

Colxdark wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering I have the same problem with my back I have had this problem since 2004-10 Years I Had a Lumbar Discectomy Done in 2006 to relieve my sciatica nerve it seem to work.The problem is I'm 40 years old now I am so scared of what the future has to hold for me because I'm in so much pain all the time I'm on patches for the pain I hate these painkillers I also had several injections in my spine and that didn't work I exercise all the time i keep moving walking but the pain is always there. By the way its my L4-L5 the doctors have talked about getting spinal fusion done but I am afraid what if it goes wrong Because they say once its done It cannot be undone.Thanks
    Short answer - take the risk. It was either that for me or not be able to work for the rest of my life and have to move home to my parents box room. Ha not much to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Morex

Hi all
    im new to this but have been looking for something to help me through this. I had an L4-L5, L5-S1 fusion in October and i am in bits today,
    I started off well and thought all was going very well, I had a hick-up at 5 months after op when 7 weeks into Physio my right knee started acting up, I went to my consultant/surgeon at the 6 month mark, and he took one look at me and said" whats going on where did all this come from, why are you in so much pain ...don't know what to do with you " I was destroyed I didn't hear a word he said after that I just sat there waiting for my wife to say its time to go.....on leaving his secretary said " to be honest if you were a dog we would have had you put down by now" and laughed.......I haven't been outside my door since...I don't know where to go or what to do......im in great pain and my mood is in the pits ....sorry for this but ...it doesn't always turn out well.....glad you are well and back to life...that's my only wish my only desire ...I wish I had never done this now....at least the pain I was in I could relate to I could get through...this is unbearable... and now I feel alone and helpless as I no longer want to see this consultant ever again I feel sick just thinking about it .......
    my advice think long think hard get 3-4-5 second opinions then weigh up the pros and cons

Morex wrote: »
    Hi all
    im new to this but have been looking for something to help me through this. I had an L4-L5, L5-S1 fusion in October and i am in bits today,
    I started off well and thought all was going very well, I had a hick-up at 5 months after op when 7 weeks into Physio my right knee started acting up, I went to my consultant/surgeon at the 6 month mark, and he took one look at me and said" whats going on where did all this come from, why are you in so much pain ...don't know what to do with you " I was destroyed I didn't hear a word he said after that I just sat there waiting for my wife to say its time to go.....on leaving his secretary said " to be honest if you were a dog we would have had you put down by now" and laughed.......I haven't been outside my door since...I don't know where to go or what to do......im in great pain and my mood is in the pits ....sorry for this but ...it doesn't always turn out well.....glad you are well and back to life...that's my only wish my only desire ...I wish I had never done this now....at least the pain I was in I could relate to I could get through...this is unbearable... and now I feel alone and helpless as I no longer want to see this consultant ever again I feel sick just thinking about it .......
    my advice think long think hard get 3-4-5 second opinions then weigh up the pros and cons
    omg ! you poor thing. I've only had 2 very succesful microdiskectomies, but have been told that if my back goes a 3rd time that I will have to have a fusion at l4/5. So what is your neurosurgeon doing for you ? surely he has some sort of treatment plan for you, even if its only down the pain management route.

• Advertisement

my consultant`s Speciality: Trauma and Orthopedic Surgeon and as far as he is concerned my fusion is stable and my spine is stable so im fine, He said You shouldn’t have this level of pain. I’m not sure what’s going on with you.I dont know what to do or where to turn he has deflated me totally

Morex wrote: »
    my consultant`s Speciality: Trauma and Orthopedic Surgeon and as far as he is concerned my fusion is stable and my spine is stable so im fine, He said You shouldn’t have this level of pain. I’m not sure what’s going on with you.I dont know what to do or where to turn he has deflated me totally

Ah I see, my surgery was done by Paraic O'Neill who is a neurosurgeon who specialises in lumbar & cervical disc problems. Sounds like he's not that interested in helping you, which is terrible. Not sure if you have private health insurance, but maybe you should get a second opinion or at least insist that your surgeon refers you to a pain management clinic

Thanks Spook_ie
    I think maybe thats the best route at this stage

I take it you have had follow up MRIs and everything looks ok?

Thats terrible. A Neurosurgeon would be your best bet for a second opinion. The pain management team should work with your consultant.

So just back to give an update. Its over 3 years now!
    Everything is fine regarding the fusion but since that time and before (obviously because of pain) something happened that I never in a million years thought would happen to me happened to me - addiction!
    As my tolerance grew for pain meds I developed an awful addiction for them and was taking massive amounts on a daily basis which also unfortunately led on to other drugs and alcohol. I nearly lost my job and home and am estranged from family and friends. A few hospital visits as a result of seizures every time I tried to quit made me face up to my problems and am now in a treatment centre.
    I don't know if many people have experienced this but now that I'm clean and sober and have more clarity I am pretty shocked at the state of how things became. After a few false starts I believe I am on the right path now.

Just something to really be aware of...

Advertisement