Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges and the long term illness scheme

Options
  • 26-08-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Reading this article in the journal about bowel disease they report that those on the long term illness scheme will have their water charges capped

http://jrnl.ie/1633516

A paragraph from the article:
    "Those suffering from bowel conditions are currently not included under the HSE’s long-term illness scheme. Groups currently included in the scheme will have their water charges capped. Among the conditions are multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy and cystic fibrosis."

This is the first i have heard of this, can anyone shed any light or confirm that this is true or have the journal got it wrong again?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My reading is that unless your condition is counted in the LTI scheme, you will have to pay full charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

My reading is that unless your condition is counted in the LTI scheme, you will have to pay full charges.

Hi, yeah, i understood that bit but i was just wondering if it is true otherwise, are they really capping water charges for those on LTI? I cant see anything written anywhere about it other than that journal article.

It would certainly be a bit of good news for those on LTI if it was true!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

No further responses to my first post, it makes me think that people havent heard of it or perhaps the journal got it wrong.

The Irish times has an article today however:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/there-s-no-good-way-to-avoid-water-charges-when-they-kick-in-on-october-1st-1.1923141?page=2

and it says this in the last paragraph of the article "People who need extra water for medical reasons will have their bills capped." it doesnt mention Long Term Illness but it has the same sentiment.

Where are these news sites getting the information from? I cannot find it anywhere and really would like to hear further information on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 EllieMay1969

I found refernece to charges being capped for certain medical conditions on the citizens advice website. They have not provided a list of conditions or details on the capping. Like you it is the first I have heard of it and it is still very unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I heard elsewhere (and of course now can't remember where!) that as they hadn't got themselves organised enough to construct their own list, that they intend to be guided by the UKs Watersure list. The scheme allows for extra water for those with specific conditions. I did a hunt, and these illnesses are listed;

• desquamation (flaky skin disease)
    • weeping skin disease (eczema, psoriasis or varicose ulceration)
    • incontinence
    • abdominal stomas
    • renal failure requiring dialysis at home - although you won't qualify for Watersure if you're already getting a contribution to your water costs from the NHS
    • Crohn's disease
    • ulcerative colitis.

It'll be interesting to see how they do actually manage the medical portion of water charges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There's a box you tick to say you have some kind of medical need, I presume they'll be in contact after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have Psoriasis and wasn't expecting to see it on the list at all. Nice surprise:)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

I emailed Irish water for clarification a while back. Any disabilities that require extra water like incontinence or severe skin conditions will have their bills capped. They do not know the amount and recommended that I contact the social welfare. If the capped amount is too high the CWO will pick up any reasonable extras

Advertisement