Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CT Scan - $hitting myself

• 17-09-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

I have to go for a CT scan tomorrow and I'm petrified! Can anyone here reassure me.
    I know it will last bout 20 mins and they said it would be noisy.
    Can I wear headphones/listen to music?
    I'm going to take a xanax before it but even with that I'm afraid I'll freak out as I'm a very nervous person. I've been too nervous to google this so any reassurance here would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I don't think the CT scan is that noisy in comparison to an MRI scan. The technician will need to talk to you via an intercom during the scan so no music. It is quite reassuring to hear their voice though. Try not to worry it will be over before you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's an MRI that's noisy - don't think a CT is. They do give you headphones with music playing during an MRI. When they need to talk to you it's over the music. It's completely painless and safe. Just close your eyes and go off to a happy place while it's running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Thanks for replies, feel a little bit better already :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

CT scan is not as daunting as an MRI and it's certainly not noisy. Depending on what part of your body the scan is on, just lie there and close your eyes. It will be over before you know it and you'll probably even hear the radiographers having a chit chat amongst themselves :) good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

I had to get a (ct/mri) scan on my jaw and, although I am quite claustrophobic, I found it grand.

What got me through is breathing exercises. I'm sure it sounds hokey, but worked for me. Just try to lie there and concentrate on your breath coming in and going out. Then try to concentrate on your stomach rising and falling with each. Then maybe concentrate on the nose, cold in, warm out.

It'll be over before you know it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

had a ct scan last year it was grand. you just lie there not moving.

Are you worried about the results or the scan itself? Its a bit star treky (but not as much as I had hoped :D)

I think its brilliant that we have technology like this.

sheesh wrote: »

I agree, pity we don't have the resources to back it up! :pac:

*opens can of worms*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

My MRI was in the UK, no music , must be the cutbacks.

My MRI was in the UK, no music , must be the cutbacks.

Ah, you got some dubstep! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I have being having an MRI every three months, only music recently has been local radio, I'd prefer the bangs any day!! I am quite claustrophobic and have had the added extra of an additional "cage" around my head too. I've found it best to close my eyes and keep them closed until I'm done.
    CTs are far easier (have had them too.) If you take a Xanax, you can't drive home after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I have being having an MRI every three months, only music recently has been local radio, I'd prefer the bangs any day!! I am quite claustrophobic and have had the added extra of an additional "cage" around my head too. I've found it best to close my eyes and keep them closed until I'm done.
    CTs are far easier (have had them too.) If you take a Xanax, you can't drive home after.

Hi. Jesus every three months is tough. I'm claustrophobic too. I has a bone scan last week and kept my eyes shut through the whole thing and it wasn't as bad as I though. I know about the xanax and driving, my sister will be my chauffeur for the day. Thanks and best of luck to you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

sheesh wrote: »
    had a ct scan last year it was grand. you just lie there not moving.

Are you worried about the results or the scan itself? Its a bit star treky (but not as much as I had hoped :D)

I thought this also last Thursday when I had my repeat MRI. Mind-blowing, just remarkable pieces of technology.

You'll be okay. Just try focus on the music and the time will be over before you know. They'll check in on you through the head-phones anyways to ensure you are doing okay. Also give you a panic-button in event you feel you need them to stop for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

CT scan should be grand altogether, MRI makes the racket, basically down to the electric currents starting and stopping in the magnets. I myself was much more apprehensive about the contrast die injection when I did an MRI myself a few months back, though it turned out all grand in the end.

A bit off topic, but interesting nonetheless: MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) was originally called NMRI (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging) but they had to drop the N from the name as people were getting freaked out by the word "Nuclear", with some taking the meaning that it was somehow harmful. It's completely safe of course.

Advertisement