Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 sound at Monza

Options
  • 10-09-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

So I went to the Monza F1 race this weekend and I don't think it matters as much on TV but have to say the sound of these F1 cars really takes from the show when at the circuit.

The race was still great to watch and the atmosphere at the track still great but they really need more noise. The GP2 cars showed them up !

This doesn't translate to video very well but the GP2 sounded so much better :o

321662.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gotta say, I love the sound of upside down cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If the vids are yours, why don't you allow the links to be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

endacl wrote: »
    If the vids are yours, why don't you allow the links to be played?

yep sorry, should be fixed now !
    endacl wrote: »
    Gotta say, I love the sound of upside down cars!

I don't mind the sound .. I think it just needs to be louder

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As time goes on there's going to be more and more turbo and hybrid engines coming into racing. We just have to get used to it. While at the moment they're matching (or just below) standard engines in time they'll be much more powerful and much more economical meaning the standard engine will be completely redundant and too expensive to seriously consider.

One good thing to come out of these new quieter engines will be less noise pollution allowing more racing in areas where it wouldn't have been allowed before.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I was there too, the whole experience was epic. On Friday I watched F1 at Alta Velocita, GP2 at Ascari and GP3 / Porsche Super Cup at Parabolica.

While the F1 race was the highlight of the weekend, the sound is lacking, I can only imagine what it was like to here the V10s roaring through the trees in Monza. The GP2/3 cars are very loud and it does add to the spectical

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    As time goes on there's going to be more and more turbo and hybrid engines coming into racing. We just have to get used to it. While at the moment they're matching (or just below) standard engines in time they'll be much more powerful and much more economical meaning the standard engine will be completely redundant and too expensive to seriously consider.
    They're already more powerful and more efficient.
    One good thing to come out of these new quieter engines will be less noise pollution allowing more racing in areas where it wouldn't have been allowed before.
    Brand's? Can't think of too many other places where it'd be worth worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

conzy wrote: »
    I can only imagine what it was like to here the V10s roaring through the trees in Monza.

I was also in Monza in 2004 opposite the pitlane and the stand shook when all cars revved up for the start of the race, you'd cringe from the noise when a car went by and by the end of the race you'd have a headache :D
    conzy wrote: »
    The GP2/3 cars are very loud and it does add to the spectical
    Yeah as I said it was still a great race and weekend but this is the point I was making, they've definitely lessened the spectical

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Go to a MotoGP race, they sound OK.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The medical car following them sounds better!

Its not a good sign if the support race has a much better tone than the main event.

God I miss the big engines.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I remember the first time I heard I heard all the cars rev in Valencia. It was the most terrifying and epic sound I've ever heard. It was like the gates of he'll opened and all the evil demons were screaming to get out. The place shook, and your breath shortened and then they roared away. In the distance you could hear the engines getting louder, and you were able to figure out where in the track they were. Ear phones in as the blast passed you again, knowing that if you would very easily go deaf if you listened to it all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

I am so very glad I got to hear the 3 litre V10 engines at 19000 rpm at Spa. So deafening they were except for the Minardi, we took out our earplugs as they weren't needed, pointed and laughed at them as they went by. The Honda was loudest by far followed by Ferrari.

I guess now you don't need earplugs at all, the crowd in the video above isn't impressed by the F1 start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Thanks given only for the Minardi bashing. What year was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

I was at this grand prix too, same stand also, tribuna piscina, I knew the cars were going to be not as loud as before from listening to Martin Brundle earlier in the year, but they are a little disappointing compared to GP2/3. I totally agree the main race, the reason why the vast majority of people go, should be loud, it was part of the sport, I was at Belgium 2009, I can remember a noticeable difference between the sound then and Monza 2014. pity, F1 is moving to quieter hybrid engines. f1 is slowly losing a bit of its appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

It was 2002 with this sound and car coming 1st and 2nd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqaJKTRs-Kg

Advertisement