Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Very strange problem

Options
  • 07-09-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I just started watching modern family recently. Watched a few episodes on my desktop without problems. Figured I'd watch one last episode while lying in bed on my Chromebook - Only to find it doesn't seem to be available on my Chromebook.. Is there a reason the library would be different on a Chromebook vs a desktop?? :confused:

I'm not connected to a VPN - haven't been in weeks. I don't have any browser extensions for changing my location. I am definitely logged in on the same account.

Any clues?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Okay so it turns out I can only access it on Windows 7.. My freshly installed copy of windows 8 is the same as my chromebook

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

From memory Netflix had/does use(d) Microsoft Silver light as it's streaming protocol. In your chromebooks case, it's not part of Google's mobile platform (which includes Android Os) .
    The app based version of Internet Explorer on 8 ( the version which fills the screen) has issues with silver light. Try using the desktop version (the one with address bar on top) to see if the video is available there

>Sol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Modern family is not on Netflix Ireland, I just checked.
    In fact, Sky own the rights.

Assuming you are in Ireland, my guess is that at one point you were on a VPN and did not disconnect properly on your desktop machine..
    Try asking google what your ip address is and give us details on who owns the network.

akaSol wrote: »
    From memory Netflix had/does use(d) Microsoft Silver light as it's streaming protocol. In your chromebooks case, it's not part of Google's mobile platform (which includes Android Os) .
    The app based version of Internet Explorer on 8 ( the version which fills the screen) has issues with silver light. Try using the desktop version (the one with address bar on top) to see if the video is available there

>Sol

Interesting. It was indeed the Netflix metro app I was using, which I assume has the same issues as the one you mentioned with IE8. I'll try logging in via chrome later when I get home from work.

aphex™ wrote: »
    Modern family is not on Netflix Ireland, I just checked.
    In fact, Sky own the rights.

Assuming you are in Ireland, my guess is that at one point you were on a VPN and did not disconnect properly on your desktop machine..
    Try asking google what your ip address is and give us details on who owns the network.

Yeah I spotted that myself using MoreFlicks (Is the same site you used?) but assumed it was a mistake when I was able to view it. I haven't connected to a VPN in weeks, and when I did it was to a server in Dublin. The last time I connected to an American VPN was months ago and my account for that service is expired. I'm now with a different provider and have never used an American server with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 snowed

In Ireland, Netflix stopped showing Modern Family from last Thursday night (Sept 4th) for some reason.

snowed wrote: »
    In Ireland, Netflix stopped showing Modern Family from last Thursday night (Sept 4th) for some reason.

That'd make sense considering the last time I watched it was Thursday morning before work.. So not just me then by the sounds of it !

snowed wrote: »

You were right. Got onto Netflix chat support (WHY didn't I do that in the first place :rolleyes:) and it seems they lost the licenses to it, and are in the process of reapplying.

Advertisement