Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot Up Speed

Options
  • 23-06-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Just a general query for anyone who has upgraded to an SSD or upgraded RAM etc.

Whats your bootup speed like? I've just done a fresh install of windows on my new crucial SSD and the best I've gotten is circa 34 seconds. Granted 20 of that will be the POST etc. I was expecting more.

Is 15 seconds for windows to boot ok.

I've just done another boot:

Power Button -> Toshiba logo = 9
    Toshiba Logo -> Windows login page = 26
    Windows login page -> Google chrome -> youtube.com = 38

Is this anyway decent??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Sounds normal enough for SSD , mine currently runs similar boot time.

Are you complaining ? did you expect it to be faster?

Put any Standard hard drive desktop beside it an boot up it will remind you how fast it actually is .

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

skeg16 wrote: »
    Just a general query for anyone who has upgraded to an SSD or upgraded RAM etc.

Whats your bootup speed like? I've just done a fresh install of windows on my new crucial SSD and the best I've gotten is circa 34 seconds. Granted 20 of that will be the POST etc. I was expecting more.

Is 15 seconds for windows to boot ok.

I've just done another boot:

Power Button -> Toshiba logo = 9
    Toshiba Logo -> Windows login page = 26
    Windows login page -> Google chrome -> youtube.com = 38

Is this anyway decent??

Spec ?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

I'm kind of half complaining half querying :D

Its a Toshiba satellite c660 Intel i3 6gb ram....i might upgrade the RAM too but we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,821 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Some of that is POST, but yeah 30 seconds would be average.

My mobile devices rarely get too much use lately, except the laptop which has motherboard issues so its a bad example (boots fine, shuts down for 3-5 minutes though) and anytime I reboot the surface pro its for an update so another bad example.

Those are perfectly acceptable boot windows given the average HDD boot is about 5 minutes to a web browser and the average SSD can get to the internet in under 45 seconds. Hell, clock it against a smartphone, most of which (especially iOS) have long cold-boot times. But the speed from SSD is in the active use, not just the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

I have Dell XPS 15 L502 with 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and it takes 21 seconds. Much quicker then my previous HDD. It's like whole new laptop.
    I had Sony Vaio Pro 13 for a while with 256 GB PCIe SSD and that was unreal. Boot up speed was about 5 seconds!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

have an Alienware running 2 250gb ssd raided.
    i7
    16gb ram
    Windows 8

from completely turned off (not sleep or hibernated) to login screen its about 8 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    have an Alienware running 2 250gb ssd raided.
    i7
    16gb ram
    Windows 8

from completely turned off (not sleep or hibernated) to login screen its about 8 seconds.

that's turtles pace for those specs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

kave2 wrote: »
    I have Dell XPS 15 L502 with 256GB Samsung 840 Pro and it takes 21 seconds. Much quicker then my previous HDD. It's like whole new laptop.
    I had Sony Vaio Pro 13 for a while with 256 GB PCIe SSD and that was unreal. Boot up speed was about 5 seconds!!

The hard drive has failed on my XPS 15 L502X. Was there much to fitting this? any new cables/connectors required?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Phantom99 wrote: »
    The hard drive has failed on my XPS 15 L502X. Was there much to fitting this? any new cables/connectors required?

No, just plug in. That's it. Very easy to do.

Advertisement