Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with old laptops

Options
  • 25-06-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I have two laptops that are just taking up space in my house. One is about 3 years old, but seems like the motherboard is gone. The plastic around the screen is a little crackered too. The other laptop is older, in perfect condition, but terribly slow.

I'm not interested in putting too much time into fixing either of them up, but are there places out there interested in these things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Are you in Limerick by any chance?! :-D I'd take them off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Plucky

I'm in Galway. I've heard these are some companies who will buy old laptops or give discounts towards new ones. Does this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

What makes and models? I'm in Galway, might buy them if the price is right.

The 3 year one is a Samsung, the older one is a Dell. I'll check the models when I'm at home and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Plucky wrote: »
    I have two laptops that are just taking up space in my house. One is about 3 years old, but seems like the motherboard is gone. The plastic around the screen is a little crackered too. The other laptop is older, in perfect condition, but terribly slow.

I'm not interested in putting too much time into fixing either of them up, but are there places out there interested in these things?

Listen, do yourself a big favor and sell them on adverts. Lots of people will offer to take it off your hands for nothing(how kind of them) and then sell it on for a nice profit. Even if they don't work, the parts can be valuable and are worth money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Do you think you might have any sensitive material on them that somebody may be able to recover without your knowledge?

Consider taking out the hard drives

Listen, do yourself a big favor and sell them on adverts. Lots of people will offer to take it off your hands for nothing(how kind of them) and then sell it on for a nice profit. Even if they don't work, the parts can be valuable and are worth money.

Thanks for the advice, I will do this for sure.

Do you think you might have any sensitive material on them that somebody may be able to recover without your knowledge?

Consider taking out the hard drives

I don't think there's anything too sensitive on there. Is there a sure fire way to wipe a harddrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Plucky wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything too sensitive on there. Is there a sure fire way to wipe a harddrive?

dban the disk - very easy to do. Just go to this site:

http://www.dban.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 charcoal blue

You could donate them: camara.org/give-computers/give-computers-ireland/

• Advertisement

You could donate them: camara.org/give-computers/give-computers-ireland/

Good call, I didn't think of that.

Advertisement