Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car rental, but problem- not allowed to rent as licence isnt 8 yrs +

Options
  • 23-06-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

hey, could be posting in the wrong area, so please move my post if its needed.

I need to hire a car for 1 day from Dublin Airport and will be returning it to Cork Airport. Im having a major issue however. I have a full clean irish drivers licence for 5 years. and most places ive tried for a car have a 7-8 year rule on how long you must have a licence.. Does anyone know anyplace in Dublin airport that could allow rental on 5 year licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

try brokers. i use to use http://www.arguscarhire.ie , never had problems. i have EU license, renting cars in Ireland or other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

thanks but ive tried them, and the problem with them is the different drop of locations restricts me.. so there are no cars available with them

thanks but ive tried them, and the problem with them is the different drop of locations restricts me.. so there are no cars available with them

Ha ha ... you said you goin drop car back in Dublin Airport
    hey, could be posting in the wrong area, so please move my post if its needed.

I need to hire a car for 1 day from Dublin Airport and will be returning it to Dublin Airport. Im having a major issue however. I have a full clean irish drivers licence for 5 years. and most places ive tried for a car have a 7-8 year rule on how long you must have a licence.. Does anyone know anyplace in Dublin airport that could allow rental on 5 year licence.

also they offer different drop off locations, not sure which is suitable for you.

ooops... sugar, i meant drop back to cork airport!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

On a trip back to Dublin approx 6 months ago, I hired a car (renault fluence diesel, terrible yoke. . .OT) from Hertz. My full licence will be 3 years old in about 2 months time

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

If you know anyone that is a registered/regular user with one of the hire companies in the airport, they may be able to hire on line and include you as a second driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you try Enterprise Car Rental?

ooops... sugar, i meant drop back to cork airport!!

Just checked, the do offer drop off in Cork airport.

Picture to proof :)

carrrent.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

8 years ... I think i've rented a car from all of them at this stage and it was never more than 3:

E.G.

http://www.hertz.ie/rentacar/reservation/reviewmodifycancel/templates/rentalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=LICENSE&EOAG=NUET50
    At the time of rental the driver must present a valid national driver's license which has been held for at least 1 year.

For the following vehicle groups you must present a valid national driver's licence held for at least 3 years:

• Advertisement

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Just checked, the do offer drop off in Cork airport.

Picture to proof :)

carrrent.jpg

Hey, thanks, I know they offer different locations. but for my dates they have nothing :(

8 years seems a bit odd alright, I was always under the impression it 2 years minimum by the majority of car rental companies.

from what im seeing i think i might go with hertz.. i was hoping to go with others for value for money, other rental places were cheaper but was caught then with my licence only being 5 years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

8 years ... I think i've rented a car from all of them at this stage and it was never more than 3:

E.G.

http://www.hertz.ie/rentacar/reservation/reviewmodifycancel/templates/rentalTerms.jsp?KEYWORD=LICENSE&EOAG=NUET50

I am nearly sure he is getting the 8 years from when you could legally get a license rule that some companies have.

This only means that if in Ireland the minimum legal driving age is 17 then you cannot rent until your 25 (8 years) and have had the full licence for at least 1 year ;)

The 1 year rule for having full licenses then follows.

bazz26 wrote: »
    8 years seems a bit odd alright, I was always under the impression it 2 years minimum by the majority of car rental companies.

it should be only 2 or 3.. 8 yrs is a bit much!!! i

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

same as hyper above, I think you're confusing the issue... you need to be eligible for a licence for 8 years, which means 25 years old...

Looking at the Enterprise website they hire certain catagory of cars to persons of 23 years or older. They do Dublin and Cork airports too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

There's no way it's 8yrs, usually 1yr and that's barely/rarely enforced either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Some companies want you to be 30+ years old and have a license for more than XX number of years for some car class groups like Mercs and the like because of the cost of insuring people on them.

Normally the likes of Hertz do that for Irish renters but 8 years..................you must have your facts wrong.

Enterprise are €50 one way drop off fee. Paid it recently.

In Dublin shop around for Enterprise because each location will be priced differently. For me the cheapest locations always seemed to be the Long Mile Road and Castleknock.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Some companies want you to be 30+ years old and have a license for more than XX number of years for some car class groups like Mercs and the like because of the cost of insuring people on them.

Normally the likes of Hertz do that for Irish renters but 8 years..................you must have your facts wrong.

Enterprise are €50 one way drop off fee. Paid it recently.

In Dublin shop around for Enterprise because each location will be priced differently. For me the cheapest locations always seemed to be the Long Mile Road and Castleknock.

for hertz it is 3 years.. so thats ok. but for budget it is 8yrs even for a standard economy car, not a fancy car. Avis is 8 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

for hertz it is 3 years.. so thats ok. but for budget it is 8yrs even for a standard economy car, not a fancy car. Avis is 8 years
    Are you not paying attention?? Hertz is not 3 years, I have rented from them enough times including the very first rental when I held Full License much less than 1yr. They don't care in most locations.

A lot of the Hertz locations are just licensees (franchise type operation) and can use their discretion on pretty much anything.

I can't speak for the others, but you are making a big deal out of nothing on this. Most rental agencies do have a 25+ age restriction, but not all do and it varies.

Prestige Collection is 30+ IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Hertz has a "must hold a full license for 2 year and be over 24( 6 years eligibility rule here)" rule in Ireland but it is different in spain and italy. Rented of them many times

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hertz has a "must hold a full license for 2 year and be over 24( 6 years eligibility rule here)" rule in Ireland but it is different in spain and italy. Rented of them many times

The age changed in January, worldwide (officially) but as said the franchise operations always had some play. 20 now. Previously I think it was 25 with 23 as the 'underage' rate.

The flipside is that the under-age fee has gone from being a sliding scale (it got cheaper as you got older) to being the same, and I'm not sure its as easy to get it waived as it used to be - I was made pay it three days before my 25th birthday and I'm #1 Club Gold.

Still 2 years licence and limited to a very small range of cars at that age, though.

Advertisement