Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty Insurance not lowering insurance premium

Options
  • 16-07-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,

I got my full license in the post today and called Chill, the insurance is with Liberty, to inform them of the change. As usual they didn't call back. So I called them myself and was told that they wouldn't reduce my premium. Was told that "sometimes it doesn't reduce. Though it will reduce when you renew or get a new car."

Do I have to just accept it or is there any way I could get it reduced?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There is no obligation on them to reduce the premium, if that's what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You will very rarely get a reduction in an insurance premium mid way through the year. For example, if you ring your house insurance company to say you've just installed a monitored burglar alarm, you'll find that they don't care. You'll only get any benefit on the next renewal.

As you were advised by Chill, one of the few exceptions is if you change car in which case you either pay more for a bigger car or they apply a credit to your account if it's a smaller or safer (by their statistics) car. If there isn't a huge difference in the category they will usually overlook any change to the premium, unless you're making the change a few days after the renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Right, that's a pain. Was looking forward to a lower premium!

Only have the policy just over a month so it's still early into it but past the point that I can change that I suppose! Thanks for the replies!

Advertisement