Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is there?

• 30-10-2013 6:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭

Is there any such thing as a course that would only go on for like a year? I'm interested in Law but don't really wanna spent much more time in college.. Another year would be enough for me and i'd love to do something in Law:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

jamesr123 wrote: »
    Is there any such thing as a course that would only go on for like a year? I'm interested in Law but don't really wanna spent much more time in college.. Another year would be enough for me and i'd love to do something in Law:D

If based in Dublin DIT Aungier St. has an evening course over four years leading to a law degree. I think that you can dip in and out of it as regards constant attendance. Two years will give you a basic award below degree level. You could leave it then for a few years and return to complete to degree level. The usual law subjects are covered e.g. criminal, contract E.U. tort etc
    You would be surprised how interested in it you will become

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

GCD's (or anyone else's) ILEX course. Open University, although this will be English Law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    If based in Dublin DIT Aungier St. has an evening course over four years leading to a law degree. I think that you can dip in and out of it as regards constant attendance. Two years will give you a basic award below degree level. You could leave it then for a few years and return to complete to degree level. The usual law subjects are covered e.g. criminal, contract E.U. tort etc
    You would be surprised how interested in it you will become

My only hang up would be i'd be 25 leaving college if I actually completed that course.. The two year course might just be the option for me though..

Wish I had thought of it when I was younger :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You could do one of the Masters aimed at new entrants into Law? I know Maynooth have one? It's basically a three year course thrown into one afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

For the craic I assume and not actually for a career in law?

• Advertisement

NoQuarter wrote: »
    For the craic I assume and not actually for a career in law?

well i'm looking for a career into gardai, army or somthing along those lines. I'm interested in law but don't think i'd last in college. I'd rather start a career than still be in college..

Only reason i'm in college now is because of all these feckin recruitment freezes :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Do you have an undergraduate degree from any discipline already?

I think there is a masters in Common Law in UCD, and I think it's just a law degree packed into a year.. or as near as possible.

EDIT: Just saw MCR's post about Maynooth, seems a few places offer courses like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

well i'm looking for a career into gardai, army or somthing along those lines. I'm interested in law but don't think i'd last in college. I'd rather start a career than still be in college..

Only reason i'm in college now is because of all these feckin recruitment freezes :mad:

I suppose in that case a years course would be a good idea if you have the cash to spare! And I doubt the law course would do much harm on a gardai application either!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Night course like the Evening law at UCC?, over 4 years though.

Manach wrote: »
    Night course like the Evening law at UCC?, over 4 years though.

I'd rather a day time course mate.. I might look into that 1 year course in Maynooth for next year..

• Advertisement

I'd rather a day time course mate.. I might look into that 1 year course in Maynooth for next year..

More info here.
    There's also a two year professional one that's more detailed.

Afaik there are other courses in other universities but thats the only one I know about for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

The 2 year LLB in UL is excellent in my opinion, and you get a full university Law Degree - you do need a previous undergraduate degree in an unrelated discipline to be considered for entry though, and places are limited to about 20.

The 2 year LLB in UL is excellent in my opinion, and you get a full university Law Degree - you do need a previous undergraduate degree in an unrelated discipline to be considered for entry though, and places are limited to about 20.

would I need a previous undergraduate degree for any law course? I only have a fetac level 5 course completed :o

would I need a previous undergraduate degree for any law course? I only have a fetac level 5 course completed :o

You won't be able to do the Maynooth course either then. Sorry, for some reason I was under the impression that you had done an undergrad.

I'd say that you'd find it hard enough to find a one year law course without a level eight already done.

You won't be able to do the Maynooth course either then. Sorry, for some reason I was under the impression that you had done an undergrad.

I'd say that you'd find it hard enough to find a one year law course without a level eight already done.

would I even be able to do the 4 or 2 year course with a level 5?

would I even be able to do the 4 or 2 year course with a level 5?

I don't much about it but I think you should be able to do the DIT course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

This is straying a bit off the topic of legal discussion, but here goes.

You could always approach your preparation from an angle not directly associated with law or criminal law. What you need now is something that will help you get in the door rather than something that might help you years down the line - something that would either make your application stand out & something that you could bring in to conversation at an interview showing that you have qualities that would help you get through the training & early career process that other applicants may not have

Some sort of first aid or lifesaving course might be helpful, an ECDL course, a social studies course perhaps something involving youth or social integration. This goes a bit against my earlier advice but there are courses in the area of crisis/disaster management & if you could find a pretty basic one & complete it it might help your application stand out from all the others -I think that's what's probably most important.

Even if you were to volunteer with some of the homeless or migrant/refugee organisations, a local youth group or care for the elderly group it might be of some benefit as it would show that you are aware of what's going on 'out there' at grass roots level & are capable of integrating with different groups within the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

OP. I diagnose you with having "a hobby".

Do you suffer from the following symptoms?

- Curiosity about the law and its processes?
    - Interest in society, what makes our rules, and what defines us as a people?
    - Motivations regarding how society ought to be governed?
    - Don't feel like committing 4+ years to this area of study?

For god's sake OP, you have a *hobby*.

Why should any human person feel the need to officially mandate a 'hobby' or interest?

To actually get any employable benefit, you will need to do your professionals, either in Blackhall or Kings Inns. If you're not willing to take the (considerable, expensive) time of doing so, forgetaboutit.

Where did this silly idea that we have to formalize our hobbies even begin? Linkedin, I suppose.

I don't understand it.
    You have a hobby. Enjoy it. Use this forum. Suscribe to the Bar Review. Don't ruin your hobby by feeling you need to formalize something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Unless you want to be a barrister, it's all hobby and little/no pay :pac:

And if you are a Barrister it's no hobby, and no pay.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Being a barrister is an expensive hobby. A little bit like a meth addiction. Except we're probably not as well-fed.

This is straying a bit off the topic of legal discussion, but here goes.

You could always approach your preparation from an angle not directly associated with law or criminal law. What you need now is something that will help you get in the door rather than something that might help you years down the line - something that would either make your application stand out & something that you could bring in to conversation at an interview showing that you have qualities that would help you get through the training & early career process that other applicants may not have

Some sort of first aid or lifesaving course might be helpful, an ECDL course, a social studies course perhaps something involving youth or social integration. This goes a bit against my earlier advice but there are courses in the area of crisis/disaster management & if you could find a pretty basic one & complete it it might help your application stand out from all the others -I think that's what's probably most important.

Even if you were to volunteer with some of the homeless or migrant/refugee organisations, a local youth group or care for the elderly group it might be of some benefit as it would show that you are aware of what's going on 'out there' at grass roots level & are capable of integrating with different groups within the community.

I have already done the ECDL and i'm involved with the civil defence which will give me all the first aid skills and experience that I need.. I just wanted to at least complete a worth while third level course as i'v probably 2-3 years before i'll have a proper opportunity of being recruited..

i'v probably 2-3 years before i'll have a proper opportunity of being recruited..
    Garda recruitment is to recommence in 2014, isn't it?

Garda recruitment is to recommence in 2014, isn't it?

ye but very little numbers predicted to be recruited.. I know lads who are even in the reserve who think they don't stand a chance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I wouldn't suggest this from looking at the course outline, but, there you go - only 10 weeks for a diploma (not sure what level, I'm assuming level 6):

http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/diploma-legal-studies/

Advertisement