Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old IBM thinkpad

Options
  • 24-10-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

hey there

i've just been handed an IMB thinkpad thats about 6 years old, and got heavy usage in its day. just wondering whether it would be worth my while to keep it (i'd only really need it for the net, checking emails etc) or should i bother? it would only be a short term thing until the pennies become pounds and i can invest in a shiny new machine!

cheers :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hoody wrote: »
    hey there

i've just been handed an IMB thinkpad thats about 6 years old, and got heavy usage in its day. just wondering whether it would be worth my while to keep it (i'd only really need it for the net, checking emails etc) or should i bother? it would only be a short term thing until the pennies become pounds and i can invest in a shiny new machine!

cheers :D

If it does what you need it to do- keep it. Simple as.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If it works than why not?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Keep it, there a great little laptop. whats the model number

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

the only model number I can see on it is "A21m"... does that make sense? how easy would it be to set up an internet connection, I think the house we are in now already has one, so can I just jump on that? and, considering its that old - will that affect my loading times on the net?

thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

hoody wrote: »
    the only model number I can see on it is "A21m"... does that make sense? how easy would it be to set up an internet connection, I think the house we are in now already has one, so can I just jump on that? and, considering its that old - will that affect my loading times on the net?

thanks

Its probably a Pentium 3 600-750Mhz
    It most probably does not have wireless- you can buy a PCMCIA wireless adaptor for it quite cheaply (they pop up on adverts for around EUR20 the whole time).
    What do you mean by "loading times on the net"? The vintage of the computer has nothing (or extremely little) to do with how fast your internet access is......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

IBM X20 series parhaps? I have one of those....

Wonderful little thing. Still in use and great for flying with.

Advertisement