Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No power

• 05-09-2008 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ok need some help here.
    Having power issues with my laptop, it only works if i hold the connector in tight to the laptop, as in pushing it in and holding it there.

Bought a new PSU so its not that, so i guess its the bit that it plugs into in the laptop, so my question is how do i fix it or get it fixed, or is it fixable.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sounds like a broken / dry solder joint or dodgy input socket. Best leaving it to someone that knows what they are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sounds like a broken / dry solder joint or dodgy input socket. Best leaving it to someone that knows what they are doing.

+1, have the same problem myself, with an EEE pc. What Laptop is it? How old is it? Is it still under warranty? This is a messy thing to fix yourself so i would recommend getting someone who knows what they're on about to look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

this happened to me and it turned out to be the actual cable not the connector.. But as above you'd best go have it looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ewj1978 wrote: »
    this happened to me and it turned out to be the actual cable not the connector.. But as above you'd best go have it looked at.

The OP bought a new PSU and tried that, so it's not likely to be both PSUs at fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

The OP bought a new PSU and tried that, so it's not likely to be both PSUs at fault

Doh! must read whole OP post next time.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

As mentions above your DC socket is busted. Requires removing the motherboard from the laptop. 50% of the time it is just a resolder of the contacts that is needed or the DC socket may need to be replaced itself.

If ya can use a soldering iron and the laptop is old give it a shot yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

your new PSU, is the same as the old one right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

kikel wrote: »
    As mentions above your DC socket is busted. Requires removing the motherboard from the laptop. 50% of the time it is just a resolder of the contacts that is needed or the DC socket may need to be replaced itself.

If ya can use a soldering iron and the laptop is old give it a shot yourself.

If it is a sub notebook and is out of warranty, i.e. EEEPC you might as well dump it, these are not designed to be repaired, If they could they would probably replace the main board which would more than likely be well over half the price you paid for the device.

A warranty may be disputed if it is thought that excessive force was used to break the connection such as tripping over the lead if the device is plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Its a nearly 3 year old iQon so its not a great machine, and i was planning a new one shortly anyway.
    But it seems a shame to dump it as its been a reliable machine, and i was thinking of giving it to a family member after i was done with it.

The new PSU is the same power and all the rest, i made sure to check it before i bought it, not the same make, but if i point it down and hold it there it will charge, so its not the PSU but the bit that it plugs into.

I know someone who would do this kinda work, might run it by him and see if its worth fixing. I know if its over a certain price its not worth it as the money would be better put towards a new one, but like i say it is in my opinion too good to throw away, and would suit a light user or as a second/backup machine.

Thanks for the answers guys, ill let you know how i fair out if i decide to get it looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ClaudiusDrusus

Techgenie is doing the repairs nowadays on iqon branded products...They usually charge 60 euro for evaluation plus repair. If you tell them you know exactly what you problem is you will get the job done for the 60 euro. Give it a shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement