Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

court summons?

• 03-11-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have recieved a summons for a motoring offence but the summons was delivered to my my parents house where my sister also lives and she signed for the summons. Does the recipient who is I not have to sign for it for it to be legal? Also for the guards to prove that i recieved it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

I have recieved a summons for a motoring offence but the summons was delivered to my my parents house where my sister also lives and she signed for the summons. Does the recipient who is I not have to sign for it for it to be legal? Also for the guards to prove that i recieved it?

Stop trying to squirm out of it:

http://www.courts.ie/rules.nsf/8652fb610b0b37a980256db700399507/e0b5fdf14c8d3ac980256d2b0046b3d1?OpenDocument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭theblaqueguy

No I don't think so as long as the person that signed for the summons is over 18 then they are obliged to inform about the summons and give it to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If you check over the summons carefully you may find small errors that you can use you can use to escape your liability. Just turn up on the day and refuse to answer to your name, insist on speaking Irish and make sure you keep telling the Judge you don't recognise admiralty law.

Let us know how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Bepolite wrote: »
    If you check over the summons carefully you may find small errors that you can use you can use to escape your liability. Just turn up on the day and refuse to answer to your name, insist on speaking Irish and make sure you keep telling the Judge you don't recognise admiralty law.

Let us know how that goes.

I got off a drink driving charge as the strings on the Plain of the family Guinness pint glass which I was drinking out off at the time was 2 over what is stated by law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

care to enlighten us with what the charge was???e.g could you have paid a fixed charged penalty notice to deal with the matter or was the offence a mandatory court appearance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    care to enlighten us with what the charge was???e.g could you have paid a fixed charged penalty notice to deal with the matter or was the offence a mandatory court appearance
    Am I missing something?

How would that change the nature of the summons?

@ OP -- a common problem is where people take what they've heard about defective warrants, and apply those principles to summonses in toto.

Summonses are not directly comparable to warrants.

It's pretty difficult to establish that a summons is defective, relative to a warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michealkirwan

people used to get away with summons not being delivered directly to them such as changes in address and working away on business. and such. no a fine id have paid and being happy with!

Am I missing something?

How would that change the nature of the summons?

@ OP -- a common problem is where people take what they've heard about defective warrants, and apply those principles to summonses in toto.

Summonses are not directly comparable to warrants.

It's pretty difficult to establish that a summons is defective, relative to a warrant.

i aint the one who the summons was issued against mate nor did i make reference to any defect

people used to get away with summons not being delivered directly to them such as changes in address and working away on business. and such. no a fine id have paid and being happy with!

so you are saying you never got the fine???

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michealkirwan

what are you on about you werent mentioned i was replying to someone else who commented anyway im deleting this thread now

• Advertisement

That's nice but I wasn't answering your specific question. We can't give legal advice.

You seem to me to be raising the subject of a defect. I am simply making a general statement on that topic: i.e. defective summonses are not like defective search warrants, I can think of things which would make a search warrant defective, which would not (and, have not) made summonses defective.

I'm just pointing out, as a general statement, that people shouldn't take what they've heard about warrants and apply them to summonses. This doesn't necessarily have to apply to you, but it might.
    look back through the thread it was my comment you replied to hence the reply i gave

look back through the thread it was my comment you replied to hence the reply i gave
    Actually, the first part of my original comment was directed at you, there were two parts to it.

Why would it matter if the summons 'originated' as a fixed charge penalty? How is that of consequence?

Actually, the first part of my original comment was directed at you, there were two parts to it.

Why would it matter if the summons 'originated' as a fixed charge penalty? How is that of consequence?
    by paying the fine the summons and court appearance that goes with it wouldnt have happened,you could end up with a conviction unless you get a judge who is in a great humour and strikes out the charge

by paying the fine the summons and court appearance that goes with it wouldnt have happened
    oh right I thought you were raising some matter of legal relevance. my mistake.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm locking this thread purely on the basis that people are behaving like children. Can we please keep the standards above junior infants?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement